Oh no, what do I do? Another 5600X cooling post.

BigBadLion
Go to solution Solved by WoodenMarker,
27 minutes ago, BigBadLion said:

And this link is where most of the products are available to buy in here:

https://www.solotodo.cl/cpu_coolers?ordering=offer_price_usd&

The Hyper 212 Spectrum would be a decent upgrade: https://www.solotodo.cl/products/92821-cooler-master-hyper-212-spectrum-rr-212a-20pd-r1

Hey everyone, I hope you all had a great weekend!

The reason why I'm asking all this is because I recently changed my 2012 computer for this:

Ryzen 5600X

Asus TUF x570-Pro WiFi

16GB OF Corsair DDR4 3600 CL16

1TB Sabrent NMVe PCI-e 4.0

All inside a Coolermaster TD500 Mesh with 7 fans. 3 intake (the ones that came with the case), 3 on the top taking air out and one in the back. The rest of the parts are the same one as the ones in my old PC.

The other day I tried to do some benchmarks just to see how much was the stock cooler affecting my PC performance and it seems it's indeed not helping much. It reaches some really high temperatures and it can't reach the right maximum speed it should get (the peak was around 3.92Ghz). So I suppose it must be the cooler?

As a small warning, I don't live in the US, Canada or Europe. I live in Chile so what I can get is quite limited or way more expensive. For example, the a Noctua NH-D15 should cost around $89 USD but here it costs around $170 (yikes) and if possible I'd like to not spend too much on this. 

And that brings me to my questions. What kind of cooler do you guys think has a good value and could be cheap anywhere? Specially for my chip. Sometimes the Coolermaster 212 is on stock here (for $63 USD, is it good tho? Perhaps there are better options in other companies) or there are some rebranded cooler brands (or that's what I assume because I don't see many of those names being reviewed worldwide) that go for names such as Azza, GameMax, In Win, Raidmax, Aerocool, etc. 

Oh also, I have a small fear (or worry?) regarding AIOs (in case someone wants to recommend one). I want this  computer to last at least 8 years (like my previous setup) or more. And it seems AIOs while good they tend to have a lifespan of 5 years or so, right? So after that time they might die and/or lose performance and that doesn't sound like a good long lasting solution (air ones are easier to maintain and cheaper if a fan fails too, but maybe I'm wrong?).

I know the 5600X is only 65W TDP and going for something quite big might not give me big increments of performance if I'll only do some simple OC or I'm worried about having this CPU last as much as possible! 

Any kind of help is great. I checked this link 

It got me more confused hah. 

If anyone wants to know what is available a here, please check this link https://www.solotodo.cl/cpu_coolers (it's in Spanish but it shouldn't be that hard to navigate). 

Thanks again and sorry for the long post! 

3 minutes ago, BigBadLion said:

Sometimes the Coolermaster 212 is on stock here (for $63 USD, is it good tho?

Yeah it's a very capable cooler. I would get that.

From what I can read in your post you're probably getting thermal throttled due to high temperatures. The stock coolers aren't always adequate.

The Hyper 212 is good. Or if you can get an NHU12S or an arctic freezer 34 duo for the same or a bit more I would get either of those.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

What benchmark were you using to stress the cpu? What model ram are you using?

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

10 minutes ago, fuzz0r said:

Yeah it's a very capable cooler. I would get that.

From what I can read in your post you're probably getting thermal throttled due to high temperatures. The stock coolers aren't always adequate.

Totally bad in my case, even with all the fans around :(

I also found the Zalman CNPS10X Optima II, Aerocool Cylon 4 and Alseye M120D White for "similar prices". The 212 is still out of stock and who knows when it'll be available (or how much better or worse than those it is!)

18 minutes ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

The Hyper 212 is good. Or if you can get an NHU12S or an arctic freezer 34 duo for the same or a bit more I would get either of those.

Only the NH-D15 and NH-D15S are available here :( and the 212 is out stock! Quite bad for me!

11 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

What benchmark were you using to stress the cpu? What model ram are you using?

Can you link us to where you're shopping?

HI! If my memory doesn't fails me I used the latest Cinnabench and I think I got around 9500 for multi-tasking.

My Ram is this one. Running on the XMP equivalent of AMD. 

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083VMSWWJ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_5ca.FbSH0WK2E?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks! 

27 minutes ago, BigBadLion said:

The Hyper 212 Spectrum would be a decent upgrade: https://www.solotodo.cl/products/92821-cooler-master-hyper-212-spectrum-rr-212a-20pd-r1

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Hyper 212 is my recommendation for cooling ryzen chip.

They are not that expensive. Noctuas is the best, yes but for a price.

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

They added stock like few hours ago, lol.

Performance/price wise I suppose this one will be the best one, right? Considering it's 65W TDP? I could go for a Deepcool Assassin III, the top Noctua or the top Zalman (the one that shows in the tier list for coolers) but considering that information this chip wouldn't get a breaking advantage, right? 

15 minutes ago, BigBadLion said:

Performance/price wise I suppose this one will be the best one, right? Considering it's 65W TDP? I could go for a Deepcool Assassin III, the top Noctua or the top Zalman (the one that shows in the tier list for coolers) but considering that information this chip wouldn't get a breaking advantage, right? 

A better cooler can allow for better boosting or oc'ing but the difference isn't huge. A cheaper cooler like the Hyper 212 Spectrum would probably be the better value. 

Personally I say get the largest cooler you comfortable buying. 

Is your 5600x going to get any gains from it? No, but you'll be run your system super quiet and depending on the cooler it can run passively. The other plus side to this is if you upgrade you cpu in a couple years to a higher end cpu you'll already have a cooler that can it nicely.

I recommend either 

Assassin 3 for a high end cooler

Or

The hyper 212 spectrum for best it get job done right right now at a good price.

Side note

I just notice that the gamemax gamma 600 is a push push designed cooler. They also rate the cooler to handle 230w. How weird.....

5 hours ago, SupaKomputa said:

Hyper 212 is my recommendation for cooling ryzen chip.

They are not that expensive. Noctuas is the best, yes but for a price.

I'd love to have better priced Noctuas here, sadly that's not the case.

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

A better cooler can allow for better boosting or oc'ing but the difference isn't huge. A cheaper cooler like the Hyper 212 Spectrum would probably be the better value. 

I found on Amazon the ID Cooling SE-224-XT is at a very good price as well (and shipping isn't crazy expensive). Perhaps that's a slight better option than the 212 Spectrum? Or just about the same? It worries me the ram might not fit as well as I'd like tho. 

3 hours ago, narrdarr said:

Personally I say get the largest cooler you comfortable buying. 

Is your 5600x going to get any gains from it? No, but you'll be run your system super quiet and depending on the cooler it can run passively. The other plus side to this is if you upgrade you cpu in a couple years to a higher end cpu you'll already have a cooler that can it nicely.

I recommend either 

Assassin 3 for a high end cooler

Or

The hyper 212 spectrum for best it get job done right right now at a good price.

Side note

I just notice that the gamemax gamma 600 is a push push designed cooler. They also rate the cooler to handle 230w. How weird.....

You're absolutely right regarding the fact it could run in silent mode but atm it's already kinda silent with all the other fans inside my tower.

The problem from going for a Assassin 3 or another similar high end cooler is the price. They are just too expensive down here and I don't think 5-6° less heat (from the reviews I saw) warrant spending 3-4 times more. I could be wrong tho. Also, I know I won't change my GPU. I know myself hah.

And I don't know about GameMax. Most of the products I've seen look with a "meh" quality. Same happens with Aerocool where I've seen some similar coolers in Aliexpress so it makes me think they are all clones or they are just rebrands haha.

https://azza.gg/azza/products/liquid coolers/blizzard 240

This one for example tends to be at a very decent price down here, but looks like a rebrand and dunno if it's any good. 

Check out Thermalright. They have been around forever and make top notch coolers. Their distribution network kind of sucks though. I bought mine from Amazon. AliExpress has a few, and a lot of their fans are their. Their TIM is excellent too.

AMD R9 5900X @ Booost | Thermalright Aqua Elite 360, 3x TL- C12 Pro, 2x TL-K12, SYY-157
Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 4 x 8GB G.Skill Trident Z Mix @ 3800 14-15-15-35 1.575v
Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3045/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, 2x SN770, Asus Hyper M.2
EVGA SuperNova 750w | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB |1x Phanteks T30, 1x TL-B12, 1x TY-143

1 hour ago, freeagent said:

Check out Thermalright. They have been around forever and make top notch coolers. Their distribution network kind of sucks though. I bought mine from Amazon. AliExpress has a few, and a lot of their fans are their. Their TIM is excellent too.

They used to sell Thermalright in here. Not the case anymore :(

27 minutes ago, narrdarr said:

Do you only have 1 site to order from?

That website is pretty much like a local pcpartpicker, it shows a good number of stores that sell those things!

14 hours ago, BigBadLion said:

I found on Amazon the ID Cooling SE-224-XT is at a very good price as well (and shipping isn't crazy expensive). Perhaps that's a slight better option than the 212 Spectrum?

That cooler is not bad at all. Read a few reviews - it's surprising people with its effectiveness vs. price. If I hadn't already purchased a Scythe Mugen 5 for my new computer I might have considered that ID Cooling one.

16 hours ago, BigBadLion said:

I found on Amazon the ID Cooling SE-224-XT is at a very good price as well (and shipping isn't crazy expensive). Perhaps that's a slight better option than the 212 Spectrum? Or just about the same? It worries me the ram might not fit as well as I'd like tho. 

The SE-224-XT is similar and maybe slightly better. If it's cheaper or similarly priced, it's a decent option.

The ram isn't particularly tall so clearance should be fine. Worst case scenario would just be mounting the fan in pull instead of push. 

10 hours ago, DaoJones said:

That cooler is not bad at all. Read a few reviews - it's surprising people with its effectiveness vs. price. If I hadn't already purchased a Scythe Mugen 5 for my new computer I might have considered that ID Cooling one.

I was really tempted to buy it but I also saw that in some setups the block could get a bit too close to one of the ram slots and that made me rethink if I trully wanted it. After all, I'm running 4X8 ram slots.

8 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

The SE-224-XT is similar and maybe slightly better. If it's cheaper or similarly priced, it's a decent option.

The ram isn't particularly tall so clearance should be fine. Worst case scenario would just be mounting the fan in pull instead of push. 

Ram height wasn't the issue but how close it might get. Not too fond in playing the lottery hah xD

In the end, I bought the 212 Spectrum you recommended. Quite decently priced considering the same SE-224-XT basic would cost about the same if I bought it from Amazon. The stock lasted 1 day, lol. They are put of stock now.

With that one I'll manage to survive some light OC or medium OC if I didn't mine staying in the 80°s, right? And If I wanted to change the fan for an aRGB one, that shouldn't be a big issue? Perhaps another fan with similar qualities (same RPM and such).

Thanks again for everyone's help! ❤️

6 hours ago, BigBadLion said:

With that one I'll manage to survive some light OC or medium OC if I didn't mine staying in the 80°s, right? And If I wanted to change the fan for an aRGB one, that shouldn't be a big issue? Perhaps another fan with similar qualities (same RPM and such).

That'd be fine.