The nazi simbol is banned in videogame artwork?

MS-DOS

I was looking at Wolfensteins different releases and in all the artwork it seems the nazi simbol was replaced:

spacer.png

See the flags, they have a different sign

I think it's design:

spacer.png

but in the game they kept the original flag:

spacer.png

But i've also seen these screenshots (censored version in germany??)

spacer.png

I like the alternative design that looks like an W is great but I always thought the nazi aesthetic looks so cool, you become scared as you play the game and see all the flags. I wonder if it's banned in some countries and some aren't

they cant sell the game in germany with nazi symbols so expect some difference between the marketing material and in game artwork

I like the alternative design that looks like an W is great but I always thought the nazi aesthetic looks so cool, you become scared as you play the game and see all the flags. I wonder if it's banned in some countries and some aren't

IIRC this is correct. I am almost certain you will get in big trouble in Germany. Mind you, in some countries and religions the swastika is a symbol of religion and peace. This was its original meaning. Spoilered is a brief history of the swastika and its history in germany, I suggest if you don't know it to read it.

Spoiler

Far right nationalist groups in Europe in the 19th century used the symbol in their flags of a symbol of what they were fighting against.

The nazi flag's colour scheme was chosen as the colour red was to represent the imperial German army (the army that fought against German democracy), and the swastika in the middle was a symbol of those against the "aryan race".

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

The ruling in regards to those symbols being banned has been reversed (in terms of video games, in other forms of art there never was any ban), but since it's the current year in many cases it's just way less headache to not use the swastika or other similar symbols, and just replace them with e.g., the iron cross, because apparently that's somehow better and different.

15 minutes ago, SenKa said:

IIRC this is correct. I am almost certain you will get in big trouble in Germany. Mind you, in some countries and religions the swastika is a symbol of religion and peace. This was its original meaning. Spoilered is a brief history of the swastika and its history in germany, I suggest if you don't know it to read it.

Hide contents

Far right nationalist groups in Europe in the 19th century used the symbol in their flags of a symbol of what they were fighting against.

The nazi flag's colour scheme was chosen as the colour red was to represent the imperial German army (the army that fought against German democracy), and the swastika in the middle was a symbol of those against the "aryan race".

Interesting theorie on your spoiler, where did you read it from? Ive read many different meanings to the nazi swastika.

13 minutes ago, Caroline said:

It's banned in Germany

The old games also feature a flag with the W and different dialogs or texts

833603394.jpg

Not the oldest tho

spacer.png

and of course there is this lol

spacer.png

59 minutes ago, MS-DOS said:

Interesting theorie on your spoiler, where did you read it from? Ive read many different meanings to the nazi swastika.

https://encyclopedia.ushmm.org/content/en/article/history-of-the-swastika

A mix between here, and what my history professors have taught me over the years

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

3 hours ago, SenKa said:

Reveal hidden contents

It's funny that マジ卍, pronounced maji manji, is some kind of really cringe girly teen slang in Japanese that kind of indicates excitement. Or put 卍 at the end of a sentence for emphasis, like お腹空いた卍 = I'm hungry manji if you're a Japanese teen girl. I know the first thing I associate with the swastika is excited Japanese schoolgirls. 🤣

15 hours ago, MS-DOS said:

I'm not German so bear in mind I'm collecting this information from English sources outside the country.

My understanding is that at least since the 1990's, the German "ban" on the swastika was because the USK (the German software ratings board) policy was to refuse a rating to any video game that featured the swastika, in any context. And since a USK rating is required to sell a game in Germany, this amounted to a de facto ban. I don't think there was a total government ban on all depictions of the swastika in artistic contexts, as is commonly believed.

Recently the USK reversed this policy and is now rating games that display the swastika on a case-by-case basis instead of a blanket refusal. As far as I know, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are now available uncensored in Germany.

On 1/11/2021 at 2:59 AM, Chionele said:

The ruling in regards to those symbols being banned has been reversed (in terms of video games, in other forms of art there never was any ban), but since it's the current year in many cases it's just way less headache to not use the swastika or other similar symbols, and just replace them with e.g., the iron cross, because apparently that's somehow better and different.

source? tbh im not bothered to much either way, I just hate censorship and this is censorship, also it's highly inconsistent, it's allowed in "art" so movies is ok but video-games aren't!? 

Err, yeah, source? because that sounds like hearsay, no offense. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

On 1/11/2021 at 6:16 PM, typographie said:

I'm not German so bear in mind I'm collecting this information from English sources outside the country.

My understanding is that at least since the 1990's, the German "ban" on the swastika was because the USK (the German software ratings board) policy was to refuse a rating to any video game that featured the swastika, in any context. And since a USK rating is required to sell a game in Germany, this amounted to a de facto ban. I don't think there was a total government ban on all depictions of the swastika in artistic contexts, as is commonly believed.

Recently the USK reversed this policy and is now rating games that display the swastika on a case-by-case basis instead of a blanket refusal. As far as I know, Wolfenstein II The New Colossus and Wolfenstein: Youngblood are now available uncensored in Germany.

err, yeah, basically. I don't think usk is required however, you can sell imports just fine for example. 

And just FYI, there *is* a total and nation wide ban, only exception is in "art" and video games apparently aren't art, as they're just "games" or some bs... lol... but I think that actually got changed recently, maybe this caused this change of course after all - im not really up to date, as I really do not care much about hypocrisy and politics... 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

2 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

source? tbh im not bothered to much either way, I just hate censorship and this is censorship, also it's highly inconsistent, it's allowed in "art" so movies is ok but video-games aren't!? 

Err, yeah, source? because that sounds like hearsay, no offense. 

Source on what? This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strafgesetzbuch_section_86a ?

16 minutes ago, Chionele said:

yea, I guess. So I remembered right I read something about it but I wasn't sure on the details, and if it's actually true... thanks. 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity