MSI 3090 Gaming Trio keeps crashing

bejamartins
Go to solution Solved by Mark Kaine,

I just was to say IF it's not the GPU then it's the PSU. 

46 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

have a SEASONIC M12II 620W, not 850W

That would explain it I guess! ;)

Hello,

I recently switched my graphics card to this 3090 but it keeps crashing.

I have a Seasoning 100-240VAC 850W PSU. I read on reddit that some people with 850W PSU had to underclock between -50 to -300 MHz, I went as down as -500 core underclock with MSI afterburner without results.

I'm using Horizon Zero Dawn as a test and it seems that did even worse.

I tried also to limit power limit to 80% and no improvement.

Can I still assume this is a power issue? Would investing in an 1000W PSU be enough?

Thank you for any help.

If you lowered the power limit to 80%, usually it's not the power supply not giving enough power, and the only way it would be the PSU would be if the unit was on the way out. It could be a driver issue, have you tried running DDU?

1 minute ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you lowered the power limit to 80%, usually it's not the power supply not giving enough power, and the only way it would be the PSU would be if the unit was on the way out. It could be a driver issue, have you tried running DDU?

No, I can try that.

11 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

Can I still assume this is a power issue? Would investing in an 1000W PSU be enough?

tbh the 3090 could still be tripping your psu whenever it wants a quick 400w+ for only a quick second

i mean that card would probably make my tier e $50 750w go boom, i mean, its not even 80+ rated lmao

I would RMA the card if possible, msi gaming trio is one of the worst options out there. 

could also be the seasoning psu, unfortunately those aren't the best either, depending on the actual model especially. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

10 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

i mean that card would probably make my tier e $50 750w go boom, i mean, its not even 80+ rated lmao

Imagine hooking an RTX 3070 to my old Tier D 600W, also not 80+ rated.

elephants

2 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Imagine hooking an RTX 3070 to my old Tier D 600W, also not 80+ rated.

that would probably be "alright" cant remember if a 3070 spikes but my 750w can handle an rx 580 pulling 270w, so it shouldnt be too bad

6 minutes ago, GoodEnough said:

that would probably be "alright" cant remember if a 3070 spikes but my 750w can handle an rx 580 pulling 270w, so it shouldnt be too bad

This thing had overdraw problems with:
Ryzen 5 3600 OCd to 4.2 GHz

2x8GB DDR4-3200 CL14

GTX 650 Ti Boost

3.5" floppy drive
"250"MB ATAPI Zip drive
TSSTCorp CD/DVD +/- RW drive
LG WH16NS40
Crucial M4 128GB SSD
WD 250GB ????RPM SATA II HDD
WD 2TB ????RPM SATA III HDD
WD 3TB 5400RPM SATA III HDD

elephants

Just now, ragnarok0273 said:

WD 250GB ????RPM SATA II HDD
WD 2TB ????RPM SATA III SSD
WD 3TB 5400RPM SATA III SSD

hdd and sshd i assume?

1 minute ago, ragnarok0273 said:

This thing had overdraw problems with:

i mean hey at least your psu isnt making weird noises and isnt as loud as my hard drive and have worse coil whine than a gpu pulling 150% of its max power draw

Just now, GoodEnough said:

hdd and sshd i assume?

Oops - meant all HDDs for the last three :)

elephants

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

DDU's, reinstall the drivers, no update. Gonna let run 3DFurMark and see if it breaks. Maybe is the game? I played GTA V before and didn't crash.

Edit: 3DFurNark crashed on launch.

1 hour ago, Mark Kaine said:

I would RMA the card if possible, msi gaming trio is one of the worst options out there. 

could also be the seasoning psu, unfortunately those aren't the best either, depending on the actual model especially. 

RMA will be a pain, specially considering that there is no stock. I'd like to see if it is an issue on my paper first.

1 minute ago, bejamartins said:

DDU's, reinstall the drivers, no update. Gonna let run 3DFurMark and see if it breaks. Maybe is the game? I played GTA V before and didn't crash.

RMA will be a pain, specially considering that there is no stock. I'd like to see if it is an issue on my paper first.

It might be worth verifying game files just to make sure that isn't the problem. Still run a stress test and that game to make sure it isn't the card that's bad. Hopefully an RMA wouldn't be necessary.

1 hour ago, RONOTHAN## said:

It might be worth verifying game files just to make sure that isn't the problem. Still run a stress test and that game to make sure it isn't the card that's bad. Hopefully an RMA wouldn't be necessary.

I could only run a stable 3DFurMark run after a -500Mhz underclock and reducing power draw to 60º. I'll try to push and see the limit better, but seems to be a PSU limit issue.

Would investing in a 1000W PSU be enough through?

Edit: had to limit the power draw further to 50% to manage to run the game.

1 hour ago, bejamartins said:

I could only run a stable 3DFurMark run after a -500Mhz underclock and reducing power draw to 60º. I'll try to push and see the limit better, but seems to be a PSU limit issue.

Would investing in a 1000W PSU be enough through?

Edit: had to limit the power draw further to 50% to manage to run the game.

If you want to upgrade your PSU, a 1000w should be good, and honestly you should get one, especially if your current PSU is getting older. That being said, it really sounds like your GPU is bad, and you will need to RMA it.

Also, should have asked this earlier, but by crashing, do you mean OCP type crash (similar to flipping the PSU switch), crash to desktop, or like a hard lock?

2 minutes ago, RONOTHAN## said:

If you want to upgrade your PSU, a 1000w should be good, and honestly you should get one, especially if your current PSU is getting older. That being said, it really sounds like your GPU is bad, and you will need to RMA it.

Also, should have asked this earlier, but by crashing, do you mean OCP type crash (similar to flipping the PSU switch), crash to desktop, or like a hard lock?

Manage to tune it a bit better and increase clock to -200, leaving it at 50% power draw btw.

By crashing, I mean like a hard reset, similar to flipping the PSU switch yeah, and then flipping again and turning on the PC again.

Just now, bejamartins said:

Manage to tune it a bit better and increase clock to -200, leaving it at 50% power draw btw.

By crashing, I mean like a hard reset, similar to flipping the PSU switch yeah, and then flipping again and turning on the PC again.

Your power supply could be dying then. If you want to go for the 1000w, its probably gonna be a lot easier to get your hands on than another 3090. If it doesn't solve your problem, you can just return it. 

11 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

This could be built in protections tripping with your 3090 or a dying PSU. What exact model Seasonic PSU do you have, and also how long have you been using this for? This can help determine if your power supply is at fault here. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

26 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

This could be built in protections tripping with your 3090 or a dying PSU. What exact model Seasonic PSU do you have, and also how long have you been using this for? This can help determine if your power supply is at fault here. 

You just made me realize I'm an idiot. In this computer I have a SEASONIC M12II 620W, not 850W -.-' that I had registered in my mind. I have it since 2017.

I just was to say IF it's not the GPU then it's the PSU. 

46 minutes ago, bejamartins said:

have a SEASONIC M12II 620W, not 850W

That would explain it I guess! ;)

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 hour ago, bejamartins said:

You just made me realize I'm an idiot. In this computer I have a SEASONIC M12II 620W, not 850W -.-' that I had registered in my mind. I have it since 2017.

That will explain all your issues!! 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 hours ago, bejamartins said:

LOL, that'd explain a lot! I'd read your thread, and I was scratching my head as to why an 850W Seasonic PSU can't handle an RTX3090, the PSU actually being a 620W one cleared things up real quick. II'd suggest that instead of getting an 850W PSU, get a 1000W one instead, gives you much more headroom for adding more parts to your rig (like more HDDs, AIO's or custom loop, etc)

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

On 1/10/2021 at 6:06 AM, GamerDude said:

LOL, that'd explain a lot! I'd read your thread, and I was scratching my head as to why an 850W Seasonic PSU can't handle an RTX3090, the PSU actually being a 620W one cleared things up real quick. II'd suggest that instead of getting an 850W PSU, get a 1000W one instead, gives you much more headroom for adding more parts to your rig (like more HDDs, AIO's or custom loop, etc)

On 1/10/2021 at 1:33 AM, RONOTHAN## said:

Your power supply could be dying then. If you want to go for the 1000w, its probably gonna be a lot easier to get your hands on than another 3090. If it doesn't solve your problem, you can just return it. 

I just got an EVGA GQ 1000 :D. Gonna install it later tonight and see.