£700 Build for dad

Avocheeseado

Budget (including currency): £700 (including PC, monitor, speakers and webcam)

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Surfing the web with quite a few chrome tabs, storing lots of photos, word processing, video conferences, photo editing etc.

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): We have the keyboard and mouse. 

Hi, I am looking to build my dad a PC, possibly for his birthday, about 4 months. He has only used AIO's and the current one he is on feels very slow. Iirc, It has a 1TB mechanical hdd, 8gb ram and some i5 6th gen. He wants it to pretty small but expandable and needs to last at least 4-5 years. I was originally thinking of an HTPC case but from what I am aware of, they are hard to build in, not great cooling and not very expandable. So I was thinking of going for an Micro ATX case.

I was thinking of going with a Ryzen 5 4600G (if that is ever released for normal people to buy) or if not, then either a 3400G or i5 9400/10400 and 16GB RAM. 

Does anyone have any ideas on what parts to use or if it is even a good idea?

Thanks for your help!

£500 tight budget but a 3400g with 16GB ram in a mATX case would do fine 

Reminder⚠️

I'm just speaking from experience so what I say may not work 100%

Please try searching up the answer before you post here but I am always glad to help