can you use a modem to transfer files?

L_Andres_Zaun

Here's the thing, I don't want to buy a switch xD(yes, I use xD, sue me). I feel like such an ooga booga caveman when we have to download a 200 GB game at least twice, or even more when I have to take out my hdd and install it in my bro's pc. Can we just use the modem that we are both connected to? And if so, can you do the same with a router too?

If you're both connected to the "modem", it means it has a built in router. I'm guessing it's a combo unit from your ISP?

So yes.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

17 hours ago, TetraSky said:

If you're both connected to the "modem", it means it has a built in router. I'm guessing it's a combo unit from your ISP?

So yes.

ok, but do I have to turn on/off something? I really don't know anything about this, I've just gotten as far as having a static ip in my pc 😧

51 minutes ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

I've just gotten as far as having a static ip in my pc

Why?

If you're both on Windows, ensure that both PCs are on the same workgroup ID. Set up shared folders on each PC and you should be able to access each other's files through the Network browser. 

Basic Windows networking.

1 hour ago, Falcon1986 said:

Why?

If you're both on Windows, ensure that both PCs are on the same workgroup ID. Set up shared folders on each PC and you should be able to access each other's files through the Network browser. 

Basic Windows networking.

the thing is that I've enable folders to be accesed by other computers, but when I enter the network thing in folders, nothing happens

20 hours ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

Here's the thing, I don't want to buy a switch xD(yes, I use xD, sue me). I feel like such an ooga booga caveman when we have to download a 200 GB game at least twice, or even more when I have to take out my hdd and install it in my bro's pc. Can we just use the modem that we are both connected to? And if so, can you do the same with a router too?

What modem? Normally for homes this modem has a router and switch built in. Can the pcs ping each other?

37 minutes ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

the thing is that I've enable folders to be accesed by other computers, but when I enter the network thing in folders, nothing happens

What error do you get? Can you show screenshots?

4 hours ago, Falcon1986 said:

, ensure that both PCs are on the same workgroup ID.

Didn't windows 10 get rid of workgroups?

Just enable network sharing

image.thumb.png.3a6f81c60ae1cde9a08fc87a02093ed3.png

and if it's properly configured, shared folders should appear in here

image.png.a7d59cc3673d929cfe7b7871a516e15d.png

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

1 hour ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

What modem? Normally for homes this modem has a router and switch built in. Can the pcs ping each other?

What error do you get? Can you show screenshots?

I finally got it to work, but for some reason from my bro's computer I can see my pc, but I can't see his from mine. Do you know why?

30 minutes ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

I finally got it to work, but for some reason from my bro's computer I can see my pc, but I can't see his from mine. Do you know why?

can you ping it? It doesn't matter if it shows up under browse as you can add manually by ip.

2 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

can you ping it? It doesn't matter if it shows up under browse as you can add manually by ip.

It only shows my computer

image.png.d3c39e9c2150dc234bcd8135efed1dc2.png

4 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Didn't windows 10 get rid of workgroups?

Just enable network sharing

image.thumb.png.3a6f81c60ae1cde9a08fc87a02093ed3.png

and if it's properly configured, shared folders should appear in here

image.png.a7d59cc3673d929cfe7b7871a516e15d.png

yeah I already did that :(

11 minutes ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

It only shows my computer

image.png.d3c39e9c2150dc234bcd8135efed1dc2.png

that doesn't matter. Try pinging the ip of the other system. can you connect to \\IPHERE\?

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

that doesn't matter. Try pinging the ip of the other system. can you connect to \\IPHERE\?

how do I do that? :(

7 hours ago, L_Andres_Zaun said:

how do I do that? :(

You literally type the IP address into explorer such as \\192.168.1.1\ including the slashes.

Honestly Windows 10 does this sort of thing all the time for me where suddenly it wont see other PCs on the network so I've gotten used to just manually typing it.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7