Apple Threatening to Remove Parler From App Store

ThePointblank

Via Bloomberg and Yahoo News:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-parler/apple-threatens-to-remove-parler-social-networking-service-from-app-store-idUSKBN29D34N

(Reuters) - Apple Inc has threatened to remove the Parler social networking service from its App Store unless the company changes its content moderation policies, Parler Chief Executive John Matze told Reuters on Friday.

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/apple-threatens-parler-ban-000548898.html

Apple has threatened to ban the “free speech” social media app Parler following violence at the US Capitol this week. The app — a Twitter alternative popular among Donald Trump supporters and the far-right — has faced renewed scrutiny for its role in the planning of the attacks.

In short, Apple is threatening to remove Parler from their App Store unless Parler changes their content moderation policies, specially if Parler doesn’t rein in the violent threats on its app. Apple's CEO has apparently e-mailed Parler's CEO, indicating that Apple isn't happy with how Parler is moderating their platform.

In addition, Google is also under pressure to remove Parler from the Google Play Store as well for much the same reasons. Both Apple and Google have removed controversial apps in the past, such as Gab and Alex Jones’ InfoWars app.

I can't say I'm too terribly surprised. With the recent events of this week, there's a lot of reflection and reconsideration of how certain platforms are being used for extremist and sometimes illegal activity, and I suspect that it's very likely that Apple and eventually Google will boot Parler out of their respective App Stores.

UPDATE:

Google has announced that they've removed the Parler App from the App Store. Google made the following statement (via ZDNet):

https://www.zdnet.com/article/google-removes-parler-app-from-play-store/

"In order to protect user safety on Google Play, our longstanding policies require that apps displaying user-generated content have moderation policies and enforcement that removes egregious content like posts that incite violence," a Google spokesperson told ZDNet today.

"All developers agree to these terms and we have reminded Parler of this clear policy in recent months.

"We're aware of continued posting in the Parler app that seeks to incite ongoing violence in the US. We recognize that there can be reasonable debate about content policies and that it can be difficult for apps to immediately remove all violative content, but for us to distribute an app through Google Play, we do require that apps implement robust moderation for egregious content.

"In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the app's listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues," the spokesperson said.

In other news, water is wet...

Of course a "free speech" platform that claims to not be moderated (though it is on some topics their CEO doesn't like... like criticism of Parler or himself) and allows all kind of filth to be said on it, wouldn't last long on any appstore. They are free to have their website, but no way a dedicated app distributed by Apple, or Google for that matter, would be allowed. I'm just surprised they are "threatening" to remove it and did not just flat out remove it.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Not to get too political in this post (because I have many feelings about this, mostly "f------ finally"), but it's ironic that corporate America is the one to save America. All it took was a *direct* attack to the republic, and more importantly, a threat to their revenue streams to shut this shit down.

But unfortunately, it was corporate America that did this to America in the first place, so I shouldn't be surprised that they were the only ones to shut this down.

And for anyone who says this violates the First Amendment in the US Constitution, it doesn't. The US is a capitalist nation, focusing on private enterprise. These private enterprises can do whatever they want with their platforms. The First Amendment only applies to the government.

Though it is a bit scary how much power Google and Apple has over us. I mean the cause of this is the massive elephant in the room, but this power should not go unchecked. We'll see what the next administration will do about this, if they do anything about it, I guess.

Welcome to neo-feudalism.

Time to peer to peer the internet and social media.

The cloud. How about a hive of computers with no server required? I'm done with these multi-billion dollar corporations in bed with Government and their narrative. 

3 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

corporate America is the one to save America

Not the first time lol. Didn't jp Morgan bail out the government at some point in the late 1800s?

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

Corporate america runs sweat shops in Asia. Corporate America want to be the judge and jury on what we can say and think. It's amazing how people keep falling for corporate shilling and posturing on moral/justice issues.

Twitter was used by Western Intelligence agencies to create and manage the "Arab Spring", which really was putting into power the Muslim Brotherhood, a group you'd find rather dangerous & scary. This is why Twitter is in the "in crowd". Egypt, after again changing leadership, hasn't formally requested the eradication of several American officials, but certain factions there rather much want to execute quite a number of Americans for blowing their country up.

That's the nature of this "game", if you don't understand what is actually going on. This has nothing to do with Moderation Policy. It's very much the Establishment dictating to either be subservient to "us" or get eliminated. 

lol the violence at the capitol this week is nothing compared to what we have seen all year. Why act now? They dont want us to know politicians, corporations, and the chinese communist party are in bed. They want to control what we know.

32 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

I can't say I'm too terribly surprised. With the recent events of this week, there's a lot of reflection and reconsideration of how certain platforms are being used for extremist and sometimes illegal activity..

I am surprised and I'm not at the same time.

The hypocrisy is off the charts frankly. I could name groups, but you all know who they are. They span the entire ideological spectrum full of hate speech.

12 minutes ago, NotTheFirstDaniel said:

And for anyone who says this violates the First Amendment in the US Constitution, it doesn't. The US is a capitalist nation, focusing on private enterprise. These private enterprises can do whatever they want with their platforms. The First Amendment only applies to the government.

Pretty much this. Too many people think "free speech" means they can say whatever they want and everyone should just shut up and accept them... But no... That's not how it works.

And as always, there's an XKCD comic about it.

Free Speech

Somehow I expect this thread to get locked sooner rather than later, just me?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

3 minutes ago, Mling said:

lol the violence at the capitol this week is nothing compared to what we have seen all year. Why act now? They dont want us to know politicians, corporations, and the chinese communist party are in bed. They want to control what we know.

Because the stuff at the CHAZ serves the interests of interconencted networks at the top of society. Any place that someone may say something they don't approve of, they'll remove. Why wouldn't they. They're the ones that put that have all of the power. (This completely ignores most of this stuff was on Twitter & Facebook. But they have stories like this pre-written for any new social media system.)

The ESRB doesn't rate online play.

Btw, if you don't understand that Silicon Valley now operates like a Mafia Racket, this is a prime example of them doing it. It never matters what is going on with a platform. This always happens. You can also see the Narrative Framing, especially since it's likely mostly on Apple Products this all happened. Funny it isn't Apple's fault, isn't it?

2 minutes ago, Taf the Ghost said:

Btw, if you don't understand that Silicon Valley now operates like a Mafia Racket, this is a prime example of them doing it. It never matters what is going on with a platform. This always happens. You can also see the Narrative Framing, especially since it's likely mostly on Apple Products this all happened. Funny it isn't Apple's fault, isn't it?

Apple’s fault an app doesn’t follow their guidelines and has extremist content?

Rich. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Update: Google has yanked the Parler App from their App Store.

Per Axios:

https://www.axios.com/capitol-mob-parler-google-ban-826d808d-3e06-4468-a7c6-6157557818b3.html

Google has pulled Parler, a social media app for conservatives and far-right extremists, from its app store following the company's role in the deadly U.S. Capitol siege this week.

What they're saying: “In order to protect user safety on Google Play, our longstanding policies require that apps displaying user-generated content have moderation policies and enforcement that removes egregious content like posts that incite violence," José Castañeda, a Google spokesperson said. "In light of this ongoing and urgent public safety threat, we are suspending the app’s listings from the Play Store until it addresses these issues.”

52 minutes ago, ThePointblank said:

Via Bloomberg and Yahoo News:

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-apple-parler/apple-threatens-to-remove-parler-social-networking-service-from-app-store-idUSKBN29D34N

https://ca.movies.yahoo.com/apple-threatens-parler-ban-000548898.html

In short, Apple is threatening to remove Parler from their App Store unless Parler changes their content moderation policies, specially if Parler doesn’t rein in the violent threats on its app. Apple's CEO has apparently e-mailed Parler's CEO, indicating that Apple isn't happy with how Parler is moderating their platform.

In addition, Google is also under pressure to remove Parler from the Google Play Store as well for much the same reasons. Both Apple and Google have removed controversial apps in the past, such as Gab and Alex Jones’ InfoWars app.

I can't say I'm too terribly surprised. With the recent events of this week, there's a lot of reflection and reconsideration of how certain platforms are being used for extremist and sometimes illegal activity, and I suspect that it's very likely that Apple and eventually Google will boot Parler out of their respective App Stores.

Google removed it

image.png

edit: haha ninja 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

18 minutes ago, Mling said:

lol the violence at the capitol this week is nothing compared to what we have seen all year. Why act now?

EDIT: This reply was probably too political for the forum, so I'm not gonna keep it up.

1 minute ago, Blade of Grass said:

Apple’s fault an app doesn’t follow their guidelines and has extremist content?

Rich. 

You mean Twitter? Which allowed an outright secessionist movement to operate all Summer? Also, have you used Parler enough to know they don't follow the guidelines? Or did you just follow the "I'm told this bad, so this bad!" school of information processing?

There was a thread a few weeks ago about stuff in this area. It's always the same. It doesn't matter what actually happens on a new social media network. Either the network comes to heel to the Big Players or they'll eliminate it. Because all of the Social Media companies are always in violation of the ToS on the platforms. That's why being the platform holder is always the most important part. So you either pay up to the Mafia or you get your knees broken.

Prediction time! Everyone gather around.

• A new global treaty will be formed that requires all online accounts be tied with a real name and passport number. Anonymous activity and/or using an alias will be BANNED!
  • A citizen score will be created and modeled after China. It will tie into your financial credit score too.
  • Silicon Valley will be given the Gov task of creating this system; as they already own the largest database imaginable; your Facebook and Reddit posts.

Freedom is gone.

-= Topic Locked =-

In B4 Lock

Topic was already on the line political. It has since become a political conversation.

We have a blanket ban on politics currently in this forum.

Lastly, Removal of an App due to policies, violations of polices or other is not a Tech News topic.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER