Why was there no Scrapyard Wars this year?

JohanKjeldahl7

Why was there no scrapyard (9) wars this year? Does Scrapyard Wars only come out every 2 years? Was it because of Corona and the lockdown? Or did it have other reasons?

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

Yeah, pretty Linus & Luke were smart enough to not try and buy used computer parts from random people in the middle of a pandemic.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

42 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Obligatory joke about 2021 starting 7 days ago

Oh my god I am so stupid haha

Of course I meant 2020 haha you are right

But now, fellow gamers, that was it for me. Please keep in mind, that this is just my personal opionion and I am no expert. Your system shall be cooled forever, see you next time.

So until now everybody including me thinks it is because of the pandemic. Thank you for answering!

How many Vendors have fairly Old Stock taking up Room on Shelves that be used for storing newer stuff?

21 hours ago, JohanKjeldahl7 said:

So until now everybody including me thinks it is because of the pandemic. Thank you for answering!

Thats one reason. The other is that last few series have had issues with the team getting recognized or there just not being enough stuff in reasonable prices.

Also if you look at dates when the past series have been posted, there's up to 13-15 month break between them. If you calculate 15 months from the last episode of S8, the S9 would be timed at March this year. However, its unlikely there will be series before summer due to prices and other restrictions.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

COVID and the current completely bonkers prices for even low-end used parts aside, I imagine at this point it's getting difficult to think of new variations on the concept to keep it interesting.

I enjoyed the "full setups for a team of three" challenge last time, but not so much determining the winners the way they did because it reinforces people's view that having a better PC makes you better at games.

I've thought for a while it would be good to do a "back to basics" season of Scrapyard Wars but with guest competitors who have a lot of experience hustling for deals on used parts, like Bryan from Tech Yes City and Danny from Nerd on a Budget. 

I recognize that at this point Luke and Linus being recognized is a problem that's going to keep getting worse. I almost wonder if it needs to shift to a thing where Luke and Linus are just judges/commentators on what other competitors are doing. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

4 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Thats one reason. The other is that last few series have had issues with the team getting recognized or there just not being enough stuff in reasonable prices.

Also if you look at dates when the past series have been posted, there's up to 13-15 month break between them. If you calculate 15 months from the last episode of S8, the S9 would be timed at March this year. However, its unlikely there will be series before summer due to prices and other restrictions.

Thank you for the infos!

I hope the prices will somewhat normalise until summer and we will get another season (and GPU upgrades :)).

Edit: And maybe find a way to solve the recognice problem. That would make things a lot easier I guess.

Edited by JohanKjeldahl7

On 1/9/2021 at 10:06 AM, Middcore said:

I've thought for a while it would be good to do a "back to basics" season of Scrapyard Wars but with guest competitors who have a lot of experience hustling for deals on used parts, like Bryan from Tech Yes City and Danny from Nerd on a Budget. 

I like this idea, use some creators with way less following, Danny is far less likely to be noticed compared to Linus or Luke. Maybe do teams with one of the smaller creators and an LMG'er. So when it comes time for the meet up you have the lesser known person handle the in person stuff but the building and planning and searching and what not can still be a team effort

22 hours ago, happilyinsane said:

They should do a eBay auction only scrapyard wars

Linus talked about this in one of the previous WAN Shows (I think). In their mind that would be very boring video content to make. Considering even now the majority of first episode is them going through web listings and gathering info on laptops. It only gets interesting once they start calling to people or go to pick up stuff.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv