Side channel Attacks strike again! Hackers can clone Google Titan 2FA keys using a side channel in NXP chips

Pickles von Brine

Yubico and Feitian keys that use the same chip are likely susceptible, too.

There’s wide consensus among security experts that physical two-factor authentication keys provide the most effective protection against account takeovers. Research published today doesn’t change that, but it does show how malicious attackers with physical possession of a Google Titan key can clone it.

There are some steep hurdles to clear for an attack to be successful. A hacker would first have to steal a target’s account password and to also gain covert possession of the physical key for as many as 10 hours. The cloning also requires up to $12,000 worth of equipment, custom software, and an advanced background in electrical engineering and cryptography. That means the key cloning—were it ever to happen in the wild—would likely be done only by a nation-state pursuing its highest-value targets.

“Nevertheless, this work shows that the Google Titan Security Key (or other impacted products) would not avoid [an] unnoticed security breach by attackers willing to put enough effort into it,” researchers from security firm NinjaLab wrote in a research paper published Thursday. “Users that face such a threat should probably switch to other FIDO U2F hardware security keys, where no vulnerability has yet been discovered.”

Source
Okay. I clickbaited a bit. The "good" thing here is the fact the attack requires a bit of work and pretty much a nation-state actor.  It is really nuts when you think about "Who in the heck figures this shit out?". And if someone did do it, it would be something out of a james bond movie. Rather wild. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

Click bait a little is a big understatement. If someone has that level of physical access you have bigger problems. If they managed to get all that information and access to your stuff in the first place your completely screwed anyway no matter what security you have. 

3 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

Click bait a little is a big understatement. If someone has that level of physical access you have bigger problems. If they managed to get all that information and access to your stuff in the first place your completely screwed anyway no matter what security you have. 

Agreed. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

15 minutes ago, Shorty88jr said:

Dead man's switch - If you're not able to authenticate (biometric) within a timely manner scheduled every so often, the physically key should fry itself from an on-board capacitor discharge. :) 

20 minutes ago, StDragon said:

If you're not able to authenticate (biometric) within a timely manner

Biometrics (fingerprint, blood, etc) can be easily obtained and/or faked so that wont help.....  Maybe a retina scan would withstand faking but thats like going after a sparrow with a cannon....

38 minutes ago, StDragon said:

Dead man's switch - If you're not able to authenticate (biometric) within a timely manner scheduled every so often, the physically key should fry itself from an on-board capacitor discharge. :) 

For a second I read it as fry himself, and was like...woah, that's a bit harsh for not authenticating.

To the topic

Overall, it's a super sensationalist click-baiting title really...given that you need the physical access to the key, the password, and super expensive equipment.  This would only ever be practical on high-valued targets, and there are likely easier ways of getting the data you need.  (Given such a high level target would likely be following the protocols to change their password every month, so unless you have already compromised something of theirs it doesn't really seem practical)

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

As a cyber security enthusiast, if you have physical access to <insert component>, it might as well be considered pwnd. Good to know I'll need to update my fobs but I still don't plan to let them out of my possession.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

At that point you know what also works?  Put a gun to the head of the guy whose account you're trying to access.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

These attacks are certainly academically very interesting, and I suspect Google will be releasing a new hardened variant of it in due course. However, once you have the physical security key for a day to exploit it, you may as well just use it to log into their account then, without going to the effort of exploiting a side channel attack. Obviously there are cases where you might not want (or be able) to access the account now, but do want to later, but it's limited to the absolutely most high profile targets by nation state attackers.

HTTP/2 203

14 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

At that point you know what also works?  Put a gun to the head of the guy whose account you're trying to access.

$12000, 10 hours and a degree in cryptography and engineering. yeah there are much more easier ways to get that info

PC: Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200mhz RAM (8GBx2), Gigabyte B550M DS3H, GTX 1050 2GB, 650W Semi-Modular PSU80+ Gold

Phone: Poco F3 8GB + 256GB

Audio: Samson SR850s

Sound Card: SoundBlaster Play 4 USB sound card

IEM: planning to get the KBEAR KS2s
Please be patient with me, I'm fatally dumb and its honestly a miracle I've made it this far

Reminds me of how there was supposedly a major issue with Touch ID because you could fake a fingerprint using a gel model. If the people trying to get into your phone are that skilled and determined, you have far bigger problems than whether or not they can see your text messages.

I was planning to get YubiKey key for our PKI Datacenter.. seems that is out of the window....

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

43 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

I was planning to get YubiKey key for our PKI Datacenter.. seems that is out of the window....

Did you even read it? Physical access for several hours is pretty hard (borderline impossible) to pull off unnoticed....

9 minutes ago, jagdtigger said:

Did you even read it? Physical access for several hours is pretty hard (borderline impossible) to pull off unnoticed....

Yes I did..for my line of work. Anything that has a vulnerability no matter how long it takes is still to crack it and not worth the risk.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

1 hour ago, Sir Asvald said:

Yes I did..for my line of work. Anything that has a vulnerability no matter how long it takes is still to crack it and not worth the risk.

Then that line of work is a catch-22. You cant use anything with vulnerability but everything has (at least) one so cant use anything...... 🤣

Yea good luck getting into any of my accounts: I've got full Disk encryption setup on the Notebook/PC, I use LastPass to store all of my Passwords and Secrets with the Yubico Yubikey 5Ci as it's 2FA method, all other important Passwords to access my Devices, the LastPass and my main Google account are stored in my Head. Each Password of every account is the maximum allowed length long which usually is between 72 and 99 characters and it gets changed every 6 Months. The Yubikey is also used as the 2FA method wherever they give you the option to setup that.

Yea like at this point you may as well just point an RPG at my Head n' stuff. 

You can take a look at all of the Tech that I own and have owned over the years in my About Me section and on my Profile.

I'm Swiss and my Mother language is Swiss German of course, I speak the Aargauer dialect. If you want to watch a great video about Swiss German which explains the language and outlines the Basics, then click here.

If I could just play Videogames and consume Cool Content all day long for the rest of my life, then that would be sick.

It's really easy to get at any cloud stuff in full, just have an insider clone the virtual machine, even while it's running. That, along with the disk blocks, will let you get past any encryption since you'll have everything. And there's no artifacts left in the original instance, you didn't even touch that.

1 hour ago, willies leg said:

That, along with the disk blocks, will let you get past any encryption since you'll have everything.

Unless the VM uses full disk encryption, cant clone RAM -> SOL......

On 1/10/2021 at 1:28 PM, jagdtigger said:

Unless the VM uses full disk encryption, cant clone RAM -> SOL......

Actually you can.

Snapshot the VM's RAM, you've got the key. The hypervisor has full access to the RAM.