Ideal Virtual Memory Windows 10 for 8 gb ram and 16 gb ram

Beorn_Bear

What would be the best virtual memory settings for Windows 10 for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM? Would the best minimun for 8 GB RAM is 8192 and maximum is 12,288?! Would it make any difference with gaming?!

1 minute ago, Beorn_Bear said:

What would be the best virtual memory settings for Windows 10 for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM? Would the best minimun for 8 GB RAM is 8192 and maximum is 12,288?! Would it make any difference with gaming

You should let windows decide. Gaming cannot take advantage of Virtual Memory (Page FIle)

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 minute ago, Beorn_Bear said:

What would be the best virtual memory settings for Windows 10 for 8 GB and 16 GB RAM? Would the best minimun for 8 GB RAM is 8192 and maximum is 12,288?! Would it make any difference with gaming?!

If by virtual memory you mean the page file, then I would suggest setting it to auto or as small as you can without impacting stability.   On Linux Systems, we have the swap file and it's recommended to set it to 4GiB as a standard if your RAM is over 4GiB. 

The reason you don't want your virtual memory too high is because it will actually offload some of your game files from RAM to your hard disk, and your hard disk is significantly slower.  This will actually reduce your gaming performance significantly. 

It's usually used for two things: 

1. To act as a buffer so that if a program is about to use all of your memory, Windows can offload a lot of the RAM to the page file to ensure the system doesn't crash. 
  2. Offload data from RAM that is 'cold', meaning it's not heavily used. 

When you're running a game you want all of the files in RAM to be in RAM, nothing will be in RAM unless it's intended to be accessed regularly at a very high speed.  Let windows manage the page file, it's not really that important for performance. 

-> Moved to Windows

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

I am using a 480 GB SSD and 1 TB WD SATA HD. The games are on the SSD. I have extra 120 GB SSDs which I can add to my desktop or alternatively add a PCIe NVME adapter with a small NVME SSD. Would a cache file? Or virtual memory on either option make any improvement on overall performance?