hey guys is it normal for chrome to consume 3 million kilobytes of ram?

Chrome has really done it now, i only had two tabs open one with duo lingo, the second being a tab playing super Mario galaxy music. what the hell is this normal because chrome used all of my three gigabytes of ram. here is proof

Capturea.PNG

Not normal. But one other question. Why are you on Windows 7? Support ended last year and you cannot get any updates.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

64, also windows 7 has more privacy and I like the design of windows 7 better

3 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Out of curiosity, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
And why 7, not 10?

3 hours ago, Sir Asvald said:

Not normal. But one other question. Why are you on Windows 7? Support ended last year and you cannot get any updates.

I can apply patches via the regedit or command line

3GB isn't that unusual for Chrome.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

No I only have one, its just a screen capture

3 hours ago, Offwire said:

Maybe it's some extensions or something taking up the RAM? Or a very memory-heavy page. Try take a look around there and find the culprit by process of elimination if you do have extensions installed.

Also like others have said, why are you still on Windows7? You can't get anymore updates.

It's not that unusual depending on what you're doing. I find that Chrome isn't that great at cleaning up after itself if you had a ton of tabs open and closed them all.

Also if you're running a 64-bit versions of Windows 7 why do you only have 3GB of RAM? I'd sport 8GB minimum.

3 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

It also has less support for drivers, gotta love installing windows 10, only to have your LAN ports not work. Well gotta bust out the old CDROM drive. Edge is better, but you're on 7 so. Maybe use FireFox? 

4 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

And why 7

4 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

Why are you on Windows 7?

Windows 7 master race, 10 can suck my ass.

As to OP's problem, how long has Chrome been open? I know if I leave Firefox or even Chrome open for a long time (days) it can really creep up there in terms of RAM usage.

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

It's not that unusual depending on what you're doing. I find that Chrome isn't that great at cleaning up after itself if you had a ton of tabs open and closed them all.

Also if you're running a 64-bit versions of Windows 7 why do you only have 3GB of RAM? I'd sport 8GB minimum.

I only had two open, a tab playing music and a tab with duolingo open

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Windows 7 master race, 10 can suck my ass.

As to OP's problem, how long has Chrome been open? I know if I leave Firefox or even Chrome open for a long time (days) it can really creep up there in terms of RAM usage.

like an hour

8 minutes ago, Sir Asvald said:

9 minutes ago, ragnarok0273 said:

Out of curiosity, are you using 32-bit or 64-bit Windows?
And why 7, not 10?

Look at this specs on his profile

honestly windows 7 is probably the best choice for that hardware

i still run 7 on my 9 year old thinkpad because 

1) windows 10 is awful

2) windows 7 just runs better on it 

also i had a similar problem a few years back on windows XP when I only had one tab open in IE and it was using my 1 gigabyte

No, of course not. 

Chrome should be consuming a LOT more than just 3GB of RAM. Something is clearly wrong here.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Okay, on Chrome go to:

chrome://settings/reset

and restore settings to their original defaults. Be aware this will disable all extensions you have as well as other stuff. History, bookmarks and cookies won't be cleared in the crossfire. See if that works and try re-enable the extension.

It works perfectly fine now, but I just wanted to post about to see if it were a normal occurence

I'd advise also having an antivirus such as Malwarebytes to provide some additional protection since you're on an EOL OS.

I can add patches from reg edit, and the command line

I'd advise also having an antivirus such as Malwarebytes to provide some additional protection since you're on an EOL OS.

Also an anti virus would slow things down more

Just now, made zos ion said:

Also an anti virus would slow things down more

Agree 100%. I only use the built in Windows 10 defender. Plus the real method to protecting your data is to just back it up. Keep regular copies of your data and you won't even need an antivirus.

3 hours ago, Muhubi said:

Agree 100%. I only use the built in Windows 10 defender. Plus the real method to protecting your data is to just back it up. Keep regular copies of your data and you won't even need an antivirus.

also just to add to that, I have been browsing the internet for 12 years without an anti virus. And no viruses (knock on wood)

14 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

I only had two open, a tab playing music and a tab with duolingo open

When's the last time you restarted your computer?

22 minutes ago, made zos ion said:

The question is if you blindly use Automatic Updates that install telemetry updates,which introduce Microsoft's spyware to Windows 7.

Automatic Updates also install some problematic updates that affect stability,it also install unnecessary updates.

Manual updates are the way to go,install every month the security only updates of the ESU and you will be fine (you don't want the crap that comes with the normal updates)

Also i must warn that you don't want to install the security updates to Microsoft's telemetry if you don't have telemetry updates installed.

Also read this:

https://betanews.com/2019/07/11/microsoft-adds-telemetry-windows-7/

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 7 5700X@4.65GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R23: 15669cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3566

3 hours ago, Windows7ge said:

When's the last time you restarted your computer?

like 2 hours ago, also chrome is working great now. i think a program might have been fighting chrome and caused  this

3 hours ago, Vishera said:

The question is if you blindly use Automatic Updates that install telemetry updates,which introduce Microsoft's spyware to Windows 7.

Automatic Updates also install some problematic updates that affect stability,it also install unnecessary updates.

Manual updates are the way to go,install every month the security only updates of the ESU and you will be fine (you don't want the crap that comes with the normal updates)

Also i must warn that you don't want to install the security updates to Microsoft's telemetry if you don't have telemetry updates installed.

Also read this:

https://betanews.com/2019/07/11/microsoft-adds-telemetry-windows-7/

i do do manual updates