Was CD Projekt ever as great as the hype?

Jet_ski

Does it bother you if a game studio or any creative production like a movie, uses sex or celebrities to compensate for glaring issues in their work?

I have played a bit of the Witcher 3. IMO campaign basically uses sex and nudity to compensate for boringly repetitive tasks. I’m not opposed to that kinda content, but I think less of the product when it’s used to compensate for other issues.

Now with Cyberpunk, I feel like CDPR used a celebrity to distract from poor game mechanics and a lack of things to do after the short campaign. Other games have done this too, I find Death Stranding to be boring but I gave it a try because of the actors they used.

6357C773-5644-4D83-A882-0B5CD6839A9C.thumb.jpeg.537f10cb590afd578f357c3284a2f45f.jpeg

8 minutes ago, Jet_ski said:

Does it bother you if a game studio or any creative production like a movie, uses sex or celebrities to compensate for glaring issues in their work?

Yeah

I have played a bit of the Witcher 3. IMO campaign basically uses sex and nudity to compensate for boringly repetitive tasks. I’m not opposed to that kinda content, but I think less of the product when it’s used to compensate for other issues.

Don't watch Game of Thrones then.

Now with Cyberpunk, I feel like CDPR used a celebrity to distract from poor game mechanics and a lack of things to do after the short campaign. Other games have done this too, I find Death Stranding to be boring but I gave it a try because of the actors they used.

I think they had good intentions. It's not Star Wars Episode 7 after all.

uses sex in the witcher? ouch. Just don't look at my big sword. Sex has been maybe in every witcher game? As entertainment, cyberpunk could have set a standard. Like "custom" scenes, nice rendering and for more or less each persons preference.

Also the game is in a different time for the witcher.

I get the feeling is more of a pressure on CDPR with how big they have become, and the direction for cyberpunk maybe got out of control and what people wanted it to be?

They might not be as great in handling with how things go, and if this will happen again. But they did do a lot around the whole cyberpunk topic, from refunds to patching some of the issues.

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say your five minutes in 100-hour game The Witcher 3 didn't really have a chance to show you why people loved CDPR so much after that game's release. Especially if you think nudity and sex are used in that game the way you imply in your post. This ain't game of thrones with talking heads doing an exposition at each other in front of naked lesbian sex completely unrelated to any themes or narrative happenings.

Of course, your whole approach to media seems a bit off, given you think Norman Reedus (real big name celebrity there) was somehow covering up something in Death Stranding, a game that - whether you're able to critically analyze a piece of media or whether you think it's boring - does basically nothing to put the actors front and center

2 minutes ago, dilpickle said:

Now everyone is finding out they are just like any other game company,

Became* like any other, unless some of it is able to change.

Until then, they are going to start crunching again.

It was kinda just the issue of them dropping in, making some great games and getting a lot of hype behind the company. They made great titles.

So they show off 2077 and everyone’s losing their mind, it’s gotta be great!

Lo and behold, it’s a buggy mess and a fairly average open world action rpg in the end. Even after the fixes it’s still good but not like the greatest game of all time which it was hyped as.

Thats where this negativity comes from, it’s a studio that really hadn’t made any truly bad titles that got a lot of press, so all their press and impressions were great, but then they had this small blunder with 2077 and it was just compounded on by the hype that it didn’t live up to.

Its like if Bungie only ever released Halo 1,2 and 3. But then also did 4 entirely with their name on it.

All we would know of bungie is one of the greatest shooter trilogies of all time, we would hype the hell out of the 4th game, only to find it didn’t live up to the hype.

Semi related, 4 irl avoided that issue because it was 343 working on it, expectations were different so the backlash was bad but the hype wasn’t there to affect it.

Witcher 3 is a great game.

Cyberpunk is a very good game that could end up being a great one as it's patched and expanded.

But now that hating Cyberpunk has become the trendy thing to do, I guess it shouldn't surprise me revisionist contrarians are going after Witcher 3 as well. "Look at me guys, I hated CDPR before it was cool!" 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

CDPR was never as good as the hype suggested. They're a decent studio with decent tech that puts out... decent games. Many studios were like this, studios like Bugbear Entertainment, Blitz Games, Heavy Iron Studios or literally any EA subsidiary that wasn't Criterion. CDPR just kinda got caught in the crosshairs because everyone loves to drool over The Witcher 3.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

30 minutes ago, fpo said:

Yeah

Don't watch Game of Thrones then.

I think they had good intentions. It's not Star Wars Episode 7 after all.

You are 100% correct. I stopped watching the Game of Thrones after the first season.

32 minutes ago, gankhill said:

Gonna take a wild stab in the dark and say your five minutes in 100-hour game

I played over 4 hours of the Witcher 3 campaign and watched others play it for a couple more.

17 minutes ago, Middcore said:

Witcher 3 is a great game.

Cyberpunk is a very good game that could end up being a great one as it's patched and expanded.

But now that hating Cyberpunk has become the trendy thing to do, I guess it shouldn't surprise me revisionist contrarians are going after Witcher 3 as well. "Look at me guys, I hated CDPR before it was cool!" 

There’s no “hey guys look at me,” I just want people’s opinion. And I don’t hate CDPR, I don’t care that much. 

The one truly bad mistake on 2077 was releasing it on the base consoles, that's it. The lawsuits and sony store removal are the big ones. I play through the bugs on pc and enjoyed it Their management does alot of unnecessary stuff and oozes incompetence. 

Witcher 3 was a great rpg with great writing, story, and shit gameplay, most people enjoyed it. Overrated? maybe.

2077 was a great rpg with great writing, story and shit gameplay. The game has the best lighting and reflections ever. Most people enjoyed it but it was definitely overhyped. I still feel like people just mostly focused on the negatives instead of the positives with this launch.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll 6950xt gaming x trio 325w 60C ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll 6x nf12/14 ippc fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll AW3423DW

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA 30 non90 tie ftw3 1920//10000 0.85v 300w 71C ll  6x nf14 ippc 2000rpm ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll l sandisk 4tb sata ssd +4tb exssd backup ll 2x 500gb samsung 970 evo raid 0 llCorsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll w10p ll NEC PA241w ll pa32ucg-k

prebuilt 5800 stock ll 2x8gb ddr4 cl17 3466 ll oem 3080 0.85v 1890//10000 290w 74C ll 27gl850b ll pa272w ll w11

2 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

A game only lives up to its hype when the modding community gets their hands on it.

This is true in case of Elder Scrolls Series.

As long as they release their games as DRM-free they will still be better than most other big studios in my eyes. 

As for cyberpunk 2077 I think moist critical had the best take. It's shit on the last-gen consoles because of performance issues, and on pc and next gen consoles it's good if you can stand the bugs (which will be fixed). 

A lot of people got sucked into the hype that the community itself built up so no matter what game CDPR released people would have disappointed. 

My take is this, stop fucking getting so hyped about stuff. I see it everywhere these days. Stop being so obsessed with the flavor of the month game, hardware, movie, etc. 

I mean, how many times have we not heard "yeah it has issues at launch but it will get fixed later" recently? It's everywhere with pretty much everything. Hardware and software. Just chill the fuck out and get whatever game or tech thing you want when it's been out for a couple of months. You get it for cheaper and the laun h issues have been fixed. 

more afraid for the future for them. the state of the games are not the only thing to be disappointed in.

While gameplay was not shown a lot about the game before, they did use a trailer many years ago that made the game to look different than what it is today.

I don't think cyberpunk can be improved that much, some seems very deep and has to be done by the developers? although some already have found their ways to improve the game. As for improving the gameplay experience? depends.

About the work around GOG, that should be applaud if it's mostly their work. From finding the copyright holders, sources and bringing back good old games :)

Too bad they have been crunching and if they are going to throw out some of their talent with newer games released by them, from crunching, trying to go too big, and not seeing a more "realistic" outcome. (back to the ways of AAA titles and their "expectations")

Yeah I've played about an hour or two of CyberPunk and I'm quite frankly a bit bored  It feels massively shallow and the power differences are annoying. And I've barely come across any game breaking bugs yet.

Feels like a miss mash of every other game I've played. Topped off with shallow floaty gunplay and boring AI. Game doesn't even look that good, to me at least. 

Saw this coming from hundred miles off though, the internet is nothing but a childish pedantic hype machine. I do hope the lawyers going after CD Projekt get disbarred for wasting everyones time though. It's bad enough some fan boys got too hyped, but for some asshole lawyers to try and take them to court over their disappointment? Jesus christ.

I am kinda mad cuz CPDR made a huge hype around the game and they provided hmmm... something which shouldn't be released (at least on consoles). I have played on PC and game is playable. I managed to finish it without bigger issues. I had graphical glitches which were weird and funny sometimes, but it's not about GRAPHIC after all but storyline? Anyone? I know, game is/will disappoint MANY players, especially those who had good time with Witcher 3. I think, they started Cyberpunk Hype way too early. They could wait a year or two and release full game in 2021/2022 but I thing hype pressure was too big and they have delivered "something".

Also, I think many people forgot how the Witcher 3 was buggy on the release day. It was probably less than Cyberpunk but there was a lot of glitches and issues. They managed to get peoples trust by applying patches to solve all the issues.

The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games of all time.  Maybe I'm biased cause it's in my top five favorite games of all time.  But I love the game.

Cyberpunk 2077, underneath all the bugs, is a great game.  How it released it's not that great, but once it's patched up, I have no doubt people will look at it as great also.  It's just vogue to hate CDPR rn and everything they've ever touched.

"Ohohoho, I don't just hate on Cyberpunk, look at how much personality I have!  I hate The Witcher also!  Look at me guys!"

Either way I'm not worried about Cyberpunk, why?  Because CDPR has an amazing track record of fixing their games.  Oh not it released buggy.  I know it will get fixed.  I'm not worried it will stay a mess like Bethesda or EA.

Also, no, The Witcher 3 doesn't use nudity and sex the way you think it does.  Your 4 hours of gameplay and the two hours you watched someone else play are irrelevant in an 80 hour game.

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

22 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Either way I'm not worried about Cyberpunk, why?  Because CDPR has an amazing track record of fixing their games.  Oh not it released buggy.  I know it will get fixed.  I'm not worried it will stay a mess like Bethesda or EA.

Haha good point. Even the newer releases of Skyrim etc. never got any patches and they were completely relying on the modding community to fix their work.

With Witcher 3 i feel like the game is mostly bug-free now. And the small little bugs that are still there (mainly just some graphics stuff) are fixed through mods. When they do the same thing with cyberpunk i fully expect them to iron out the rest. I just hope they don't get cought up trying to release DLC too soon and don't fix the game first.

27 minutes ago, kaiju_wars said:

Also, no, The Witcher 3 doesn't use nudity and sex the way you think it does.  Your 4 hours of gameplay and the two hours you watched someone else play are irrelevant in an 80 hour game.

Lol, i think there are only a few sex scenes included in any quests in this game. In a 100 hour long game certainly not a substantial amount. As long as you don't hang around the brothels all the time you won't have many sex scenes.

If someone did not use reason to reach their conclusion in the first place, you cannot use reason to convince them otherwise.

9 minutes ago, Stahlmann said:

Haha good point. Even the newer releases of Skyrim etc. never got any patches and they were completely relying on the modding community to fix their work.

With Witcher 3 i feel like the game is mostly bug-free now. And the small little bugs that are still there (mainly just some graphics stuff) are fixed through mods. When they do the same thing with cyberpunk i fully expect them to iron out the rest. I just hope they don't get cought up trying to release DLC too soon and don't fix the game first.

Lol, i think there are only a few sex scenes included in any quests in this game. In a 100 hour long game certainly not a substantial amount. As long as you don't hang around the brothels all the time you won't have many sex scenes.

Lmao good points.  As for the sex scenes.  There's some "story related ones" but you can skip those.  

2 hours ago, Amias said:

Yeah I've played about an hour or two of CyberPunk and I'm quite frankly a bit bored  It feels massively shallow and the power differences are annoying. And I've barely come across any game breaking bugs yet.

Feels like a miss mash of every other game I've played. Topped off with shallow floaty gunplay and boring AI. Game doesn't even look that good, to me at least.

This is exactly what I’m talking about. There’s different things that could make a game fun: visuals, story, mechanics, interactions... Visuals aside, for an open world game the what and the how of things you could do matters a lot. Without variety of missions and mechanics, it can’t be that good of a game. And things have to make sense, you can’t have a car that goes so fast that any chase becomes pointless.

1 hour ago, kaiju_wars said:

The Witcher 3 is one of the greatest games of all time.  Maybe I'm biased cause it's in my top five favorite games of all time.  But I love the game.

"Ohohoho, I don't just hate on Cyberpunk, look at how much personality I have!  I hate The Witcher also!  Look at me guys!"

You could have told us what you like about the Witcher 3 instead of attacking my personality 👀.

Biggest draw is the DRM free store. I don’t have home internet (outside cellular tethering), so GoG is my go-to for PC games. It’s easy to download games at another place onto a flash drive, and move it to my home desktop. Steam will happily render my games inaccessible if a multi-GB update is required to play, even when I’m exclusively single-player. 

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

15 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

This is exactly what I’m talking about. There’s different things that could make a game fun: visuals, story, mechanics, interactions... Visuals aside, for an open world game the what and the how of things you could do matters a lot. Without variety of missions and mechanics, it can’t be that good of a game. And things have to make sense, you can’t have a car that goes so fast that any chase becomes pointless.

You could have told us what you like about the Witcher 3 instead of attacking my personality 👀.

As @Cvet76stated earlier you have no idea what you're talking about.  There was nothing for me to prove about the game because there's nothing to refute other than "sex."  Which I stated that if you played through the game, or at least played longer, you'd see that's not the case.

But since you must know:

The game looks beautiful, the open world aspect of it is massive for what it is.  The main storyline is a lot of fun, but the side quests themselves end up becoming stories of their own.  The game is packed full of content that makes an amazing package.  The voice acting is phenomenal in the game.  On top of having one of the best games within a game I've ever seen.  

But four hours is not enough time to open that up.  You're not even out of the prologue town yet.  

If the game isn't for you, that's one thing.  Not everyone likes the same things.  But to make such baseless claims and then be shocked when people call you on it?  Bruh

If the only thing you care about in games are gameplay, I can understand why you might not like Witcher 3, but I personally loved it. The story and universe and more.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Try to make sense of what you see and wonder about what makes the universe exist. Be curious. And however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at. 
It matters that you don't just give up.”

-Stephen Hawking

I have played all the games that CD Projekt has released (including Crimson Trail on Symbian xD). The story was always the starting point in their games. In my opinion, Cyberpunk fulfilled its promise of a rich story full of expressive characters with their own personalities. The game just wanted to be everything at once, plans changed quickly and you can see that a lot of things just went trash right before the premiere.
Objectified sex, violence, nudity, drugs, mental health problems, environmental pollution are a huge problem of our times, which only deepen in the future. I believe this is an important element of the narration in game.

As for the short campaign - after the Witcher 3 premiere, people complained that it was too long. They made a shorter main line in CP2077 and now people complain that it is too short. You won't please everyone.

Regarding the quality of the gameplay mechanics - it has never been outstanding in CD Projekt games.