What kind of camera's do people shoot movies with?

Hi there, 

For school I have to find out what kind of camera's people shoot movies with, like what kind of resolution en why they use those camera's

can you guys help me out?? If you could leave a link of the source, that would a terrific!!

There's no simple answer. Many different types of cameras are used for different purposes within film making. Some still use film cameras for certain properties that are hard to achieve on a purely digital platform. 

As much as I hate the "Google it" mentality, I'd advise you to research it yourself to get an understanding rather than just getting people on a forum to do your school work for you. 

17 minutes ago, Moerino said:

Hi there, 

For school I have to find out what kind of camera's people shoot movies with, like what kind of resolution en why they use those camera's

can you guys help me out?? If you could leave a link of the source, that would a terrific!!

Are we talking Hollywood-level movies, or independent level stuff? Actual film cameras are still used (IIRC Hateful 8 was done on film) but most big name filmmakers have switched to something like RED cameras, while the small-time guys can shoot perfectly well on Canon and Nikon (and Sony) dSLRs with the right cine lenses.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

9 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

As much as I hate the "Google it" mentality, I'd advise you to research it yourself

I've been Googling it for 2 hours now and I haven't found anything. Thought post ut here hoping someone would say a term or something that I could use

3 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Canon and Nikon (and Sony) dSLRs

thanks this I could use

2 minutes ago, Moerino said:

thanks this I could use

I am a professional photographer, fetish work, but that's neither here nor there.

I shoot still work, but have dipped my toes into making short videos for clients. I had a Nikon D7000 I used, no cine lenses (which are stepless as far as f/stops are concerned) but I was in a studio with a single subject, so a cine lens wasn't needed as much.

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

Tbh it really depends.

In my old job they did small adverts and movies and upgraded to a a BlackMagic Pocket Cinema, but BlackMagic also make much higher end cameras. Mostly as it was going on TV or the web, they'd record in 2.5k and scale down to 1080p.

One of my friends does more high end shoots and used to swear by his Panasonic GH5 for its small size and 4k30 support. Not sure what he's upgraded to now.

These links might help with some of the actual specs: 

2019: https://www.indiewire.com/2018/11/cameras-lens-2019-oscar-contenders-best-cinematography-1202019782/
2020: https://www.indiewire.com/2019/11/cameras-lens-2020-oscar-contenders-best-cinematography-1202187839/

Just a bit of anecdotal stuff, when I have been to the cinema in the past (can't now for obvious reasons) they used to advertise that they used a Sony 4k projector, meaning that the movie must have been in 4k. Most movies are also shot at 24fps (with notable exceptions such as the Hobbit which was shot at 48fps which split the community).

43 minutes ago, Moerino said:

Hi there, 

Cameras and Image Capture – Netflix | Partner Help Center (netflixstudios.com)

They are mostly shoot on systems by two companies, Arri and RED. Arri Alexa is a very popular choice for professionals in films, their color science seems to be more pleasing. RED is also popular, with a lot of features, great dynamic range and good detail capture. Linus Tech Tips use RED cameras for shooting. 

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

On 1/6/2021 at 2:53 PM, Moerino said:

Hi there, 

you can check on imdb they normally list the camera and lenses used to film a movie

yeah what would i know about cameras or cinematography compared to you tech people.  i've only done this work for nearly 20 years, won a few awards, worked in over a dozen different countries and a few multi million dollar projects

• 3 weeks later...

This might help:

Here are the other cameras used in the filming of Oscar-nominated films:
  • Alexa 65.
  • Alexa LF.
  • Arriflex 435.
  • Panavision Panaflex.
  • Alexa SXT.
  • RED Helium.
  • Alexa Mini LF.
  • Aaton A-Minima.

Cake or Death?

On 1/23/2021 at 1:04 PM, dmvdberg said:

This might help:

Here are the other cameras used in the filming of Oscar-nominated films:
  • Alexa 65.
  • Alexa LF.
  • Arriflex 435.
  • Panavision Panaflex.
  • Alexa SXT.
  • RED Helium.
  • Alexa Mini LF.
  • Aaton A-Minima.

that list looks like just for best picture. Not for all of them

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Seeing a lot of answers regarding which cameras are used but I do also want to throw in my two cents and respond to the second half of the question. Honestly most digital cinema cameras can generally shoot up to about 4K video, but even then resolution isn't the main part of the reason why these cameras are used, hell you might be thinking right now that your phone can also shoot 4K video but they aren't using those in movies. The truth is that cinema cameras have amazing color accuracy, dynamic range, and an overalfilmic look that can be given to them as a result of the bigger sensor and the industry leading lenses. For this I kinda wanna plug two of potato jets videos because he has done comparisons between a red camera and an iphone

4 hours ago, wisex said:

The truth is that cinema cameras have amazing color accuracy, and an overalfilmic look that can be given to them as a result of the bigger sensor and the industry leading lenses.

They don't have amazing color accuracy there isn't really any on a camera,
the filmic look is BS

They often have a smaller at Just S35 (APS-C) size with a few being FF or larger.
Thing is they often don't have industry leading lots of people shot movies on old glass

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs