120mm fans. Have 1 intake, 1 exhaust. Learned overclocking. Need more airflow. Have room for fans. Toss stock? 3 intake 1 exhaust? Certain fan brand?

smmmokin

Having a hard time. I want one more fan for cooling. I've learned it's better to have less exhausts and more intake. I have a Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_BR Eclipse P400 case which is great for me but need to get heat out of there. So I look around and see case fans are a ridiculous amount of money. I don't want RGB. I don't want bells and whistles. All I want is a fan. In Canadaland there are some that are $100 each & reading around I feel like I need to throw away the stock fans that came with the case and buy better ones but that seems stupid. Is it?

People on the internet break my head. What do you recommend I do to get air flowing better. If it we're up to me I'd get fans that could go 20k rotations per second and sound like a jet taking off once temps reach a certain point. I learnt overclocking and have things perfect but it gets too hot inside of the case. I have a coolermaster Hyper 212 for CPU cooling and it's great. But feeling my only exhaust fan it's so hot. It's way too hot and I need more air.

I have room for 2 more intakes on the front of the case. So 3 intakes, one outtake but that seems kind of nutty. Maybe it isn't? The top of the case is all open with a magnetic filter that slaps on top of it.

You have no idea how much I would appreciate some wisdom on this one. I need one person to say something. Reading 40 different opinions for someone maybe like me is rough.

10 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

Having a hard time. I want one more fan for cooling. I've learned it's better to have less exhausts and more intake. I have a Phanteks PH-EC416PTG_BR Eclipse P400 case which is great for me but need to get heat out of there. So I look around and see case fans are a ridiculous amount of money. I don't want RGB. I don't want bells and whistles. All I want is a fan. In Canadaland there are some that are $100 each & reading around I feel like I need to throw away the stock fans that came with the case and buy better ones but that seems stupid. Is it?

People on the internet break my head. What do you recommend I do to get air flowing better. If it we're up to me I'd get fans that could go 20k rotations per second and sound like a jet taking off once temps reach a certain point. I learnt overclocking and have things perfect but it gets too hot inside of the case. I have a coolermaster Hyper 212 for CPU cooling and it's great. But feeling my only exhaust fan it's so hot. It's way too hot and I need more air.

I have room for 2 more intakes on the front of the case. So 3 intakes, one outtake but that seems kind of nutty. Maybe it isn't? The top of the case is all open with a magnetic filter that slaps on top of it.

You have no idea how much I would appreciate some wisdom on this one. I need one person to say something. Reading 40 different opinions for someone maybe like me is rough.

this

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

7 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

Exhaust is fine, as is intake. I typically run more exhaust than intake for negative air pressure, make more sense to have fans directly sucking heat out then pushing cooler air in and just letting it go where ever.

The reason behind positive pressure (more intake then exhaust) is to help control dust. If you have positive pressure, you can put dust filters over the intakes and control dust entry to the system. But........ honestly PC's do not get THAT dusty, and most cases these days are all filtered anyways, so most of all the ways the air will get in will be filtered.

The stock fans don't suck, don't need to chuck em in the trash. Why do you "know you need" more fans? What are the temps of your CPU and GPU? I would possibly just get a decent fan (corsair or noctua are my go to) and use one as exhaust in the top rear of the case. Get a nice column of air moving up through the case and going out the top rear where the CPU's heat is pooling.

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Headphones/amp/dac: Schiit Lyr 3 - - Fostex TR-X00 - - Sennheiser HD 6xx

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

iPhone 14 Pro - 2018 MacBook Air

Just now, thrasher_565 said:

This works as well OP, but you also likely don't need 17 fans to keep the PC cool. If your Hyper 212 Evo is keeping the CPU temps in control, you don't have an excessively high wattage CPU, if you did the hyper 212 would not be enough. So with that knowledge, a single extra fan may be plenty.

Again, OP, what are your temps? Just because hot air is coming out doesn't mean things are no bueno. Think of a laptop, those things just pump HOT air out, think of hot hot the insides are..... What feels hot to your hand is not that hot to PC parts. a CPU can run at 75c under load all day long, that will burn your skin pretty quickly..... But if the CPU is 75c, the air coming off the heat sink will be MUCH less than that, maybe at tops 45-50c. So that air is not really going to significantly hurt other parts in the PC. Obviously cooler is better, but lets get a better understanding of whats going on in here first.

As a good example, my 9900k hits low 70's in games cuz its not a great chip, but I can comfortably touch my water cooling radiators. That means the CPU is 70+c, but the water in my actual water loop is what I would call "very warm" but not hot. The air if I had an air cooler would be the same temp as the water in my loop is.......

Rig: i7 13700k - - Asus Z790-P Wifi - - RTX 4080 - - 4x16GB 6000MHz - - Samsung 990 Pro 2TB NVMe Boot + Main Programs - - Assorted SATA SSD's for Photo Work - - Corsair RM850x - - Sound BlasterX EA-5 - - Corsair XC8 JTC Edition - - Corsair GPU Full Cover GPU Block - - XT45 X-Flow 420 + UT60 280 rads - - EK XRES RGB PWM - - Fractal Define S2 - - Acer Predator X34 -- Logitech G502 - - Logitech G710+ - - Logitech Z5500 - - LTT Deskpad

Homelab/ Media Server: Proxmox VE host - - 512 NVMe Samsung 980 RAID Z1 for VM's/Proxmox boot - - Xeon e5 2660 V4- - Supermicro X10SRF-i - - 128 GB ECC 2133 - - 10x4 TB WD Red RAID Z2 - - Corsair 750D - - Corsair RM650i - - Dell H310 6Gbps SAS HBA - - Intel RES2SC240 SAS Expander - - TreuNAS + many other VM’s

42 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

This works as well OP, but you also likely don't need 17 fans to keep the PC cool. If your Hyper 212 Evo is keeping the CPU temps in control, you don't have an excessively high wattage CPU, if you did the hyper 212 would not be enough. So with that knowledge, a single extra fan may be plenty.

Again, OP, what are your temps? Just because hot air is coming out doesn't mean things are no bueno. Think of a laptop, those things just pump HOT air out, think of hot hot the insides are..... What feels hot to your hand is not that hot to PC parts. a CPU can run at 75c under load all day long, that will burn your skin pretty quickly..... But if the CPU is 75c, the air coming off the heat sink will be MUCH less than that, maybe at tops 45-50c. So that air is not really going to significantly hurt other parts in the PC. Obviously cooler is better, but lets get a better understanding of whats going on in here first.

As a good example, my 9900k hits low 70's in games cuz its not a great chip, but I can comfortably touch my water cooling radiators. That means the CPU is 70+c, but the water in my actual water loop is what I would call "very warm" but not hot. The air if I had an air cooler would be the same temp as the water in my loop is.......

It's a cyberpunk issue. Only when I play cyberpunk does the heat get so hot you could fry an egg with the exhaust fan. The PC shut itself down but all the fans kept spinning. Immediately felt the exhaust fan and it was hotter than I've ever felt. I ripped the front cover off my case and have a fan you put in a house window. It has 2 fans and I put it right in front of my case. Room for 3 fans on the front cover so the whole thing is open. Temps of everything with maxed out in game settings and overclocked everything don't go past 70 when I do that. Without it I had to of gone 90+ to have it turn off on me. Didn't have temp logs running the first time it happened so all I can say is it got so hot it shut itself off. I've always watched temps after overclocking but felt like I was good. But this time I had headphones on and was diving deep into cyberpunk and it's the first time this happened. I've got a RTX 2060 super and just a Ryzen 5 2600. The window fan fixed it so definitely an air problem. In my BIOS I have both case fans and CPU fan to hit 100% at 70 degrees.

Thats the story

1 hour ago, LIGISTX said:

Exhaust is fine, as is intake. I typically run more exhaust than intake for negative air pressure, make more sense to have fans directly sucking heat out then pushing cooler air in and just letting it go where ever.

The reason behind positive pressure (more intake then exhaust) is to help control dust. If you have positive pressure, you can put dust filters over the intakes and control dust entry to the system. But........ honestly PC's do not get THAT dusty, and most cases these days are all filtered anyways, so most of all the ways the air will get in will be filtered.

The stock fans don't suck, don't need to chuck em in the trash. Why do you "know you need" more fans? What are the temps of your CPU and GPU? I would possibly just get a decent fan (corsair or noctua are my go to) and use one as exhaust in the top rear of the case. Get a nice column of air moving up through the case and going out the top rear where the CPU's heat is pooling.

I replied to someone else. The PC shut itself down mid game. Went dead but fans kept spinning. I ripped the front cover of the case off and took a house window fan with two big fans and put it in front of the case and my temps stayed cool. Barely felt heat coming from the exhaust. Feeling the exhaust with the big window fans in the front was like AC vs. desert heat.

But I like what you say about more exhaust. I don't have a dust problem in my house. PC running for months now and the filters aren't even dirty. Maybe I'll buy 2 fans and try a few different configurations.

1 hour ago, thrasher_565 said:

This helps. I was turning nuts thinking what I need to spend. There's fans on ebay for less than $4 and shipping is free. That seems like a hell of a risk so I'm thinking maybe I need to spend $40 on a fan lol. Someone else said yeah this'll work. I can live with $50, use one or two and have extra fans kicking around for the rest of my life. Try a few configurations as someone else said they do vs what I was thinking. This is decent. Thanks friend! I like this forum today.

24 minutes ago, smmmokin said:

It's a cyberpunk issue. Only when I play cyberpunk does the heat get so hot you could fry an egg with the exhaust fan. The PC shut itself down but all the fans kept spinning. Immediately felt the exhaust fan and it was hotter than I've ever felt. I ripped the front cover off my case and have a fan you put in a house window. It has 2 fans and I put it right in front of my case. Room for 3 fans on the front cover so the whole thing is open. Temps of everything with maxed out in game settings and overclocked everything don't go past 70 when I do that. Without it I had to of gone 90+ to have it turn off on me. Didn't have temp logs running the first time it happened so all I can say is it got so hot it shut itself off. I've always watched temps after overclocking but felt like I was good. But this time I had headphones on and was diving deep into cyberpunk and it's the first time this happened. I've got a RTX 2060 super and just a Ryzen 5 2600. The window fan fixed it so definitely an air problem. In my BIOS I have both case fans and CPU fan to hit 100% at 70 degrees.

Thats the story

Depending on the GPU, yea it can be exhausting all of its hot air into the case, which results in the CPU getting real hot when the GPU is also under load. You likely won't need to run all the fans at super high speeds, just throw some more fans in it and im sure moving more air through the case will help tremendously. 

Thanks for the more detailed explanation as this helps us better access what is actually happening :)

51 minutes ago, LIGISTX said:

Depending on the GPU, yea it can be exhausting all of its hot air into the case, which results in the CPU getting real hot when the GPU is also under load. You likely won't need to run all the fans at super high speeds, just throw some more fans in it and im sure moving more air through the case will help tremendously. 

Thanks for the more detailed explanation as this helps us better access what is actually happening :)

HOW DARE YOU THANK ME! You have no right to do that. It is I who needs to thank you. I feel like a dirtbag coming here sometimes because somewhere on the internet is the answer I need. But to be specific and talk to people about exactly my situation helps so much more than digging and picking something random. In this thread I 100% have all the info I need to be confident in what I'm going to do next. This site has never led me down the wrong path and it's because of people like you who take the time to reply.

You've made a lot of posts and have helped a lot of people as has thrasher_565. It's people like you two who make this place great and I hope you both know the impact your time has. I'm going to buy the fans he recommended then I'll have some kicking around I can always use in the future and I'm not going to worry about positive air pressure since I don't have a lot of dust where I am so I feel comfortable to play with all options. Back of my head was "Maybe it'll be bad" but then you replied.

Two of you replied and both of you helped. I hope both of you know your time is not wasted. It's helpful and very very very much appreciated. I hope people like you never think otherwise. The internet can be trash. But people like you make it great. I really do mean that.

Thanks friend :)

13 hours ago, smmmokin said:

This helps. I was turning nuts thinking what I need to spend. There's fans on ebay for less than $4 and shipping is free. That seems like a hell of a risk so I'm thinking maybe I need to spend $40 on a fan lol. Someone else said yeah this'll work. I can live with $50, use one or two and have extra fans kicking around for the rest of my life. Try a few configurations as someone else said they do vs what I was thinking. This is decent. Thanks friend! I like this forum today.

ya there not really a cheap set of fans that i can recommend so i listed this. with out knowing your temps, hardware, ambient temperature this was my best guess. could help or could not but at lest the fans should last a good time. 3 noctua fans for $20 each would also do but i looked and there $25+

I have dyslexia plz be kind to me. dont like my post dont read it or respond thx

also i edit post alot because you no why...

Thrasher_565 hub links build logs

Corsair Lian Li Bykski Barrow thermaltake nzxt aquacomputer 5v argb pin out guide + argb info

5v device to 12v mb header

Odds and Sods Argb Rgb Links

I have the same case (P400 "S"). Before working on the fans, go ahead and change the front panel of that infamous case... The revised model P400 "A" has a mesh panel instead and it will only cost you $35 (check Canada Computer). Since, the P400A is getting great reviews, I wanted to replicate that same setup and added a third intake fan in the front by cutting out the HDD cover at the bottom.

With this setup, I get my CPU (OCed R7 1700 @ 4Ghz) at 24C at idle and 57C at load...

TOP: 2 x 140MM exhaust

BACK: 1 x 120MM exhaust

FRONT: 1 x 120MM intake (bottom) + 2 x 120MM intake through radiator (up)

setup.jpg

front.jpg