PSA: Ear Buds and the lack of Awareness in Public.

whm1974

I do think that by now People have learned the hard way not wear ear buds while out in Pubic. This shouldn't have to be explained why it is a really bad idea to do this. But it appears that it is still necessary as most Folks are just Damn plain Lucky that nothing bad happen to them.

1. User rendered unable to Hear what other Folks around them are doing or saying to them.
  2. A number of Folks have had been Hit by Vehicle or Worse, Creamed by Bus and/or Tracker Trailer before.
  3. Criminals have had Stabbed Users in the Back and then mugged them before. This will in result in 911 Call and trip to ER. Death can also happen as well.

If you must wear Headphone, then buy the Open Air Type and keep the volume low enough to both preserve your hearing ability to hear Speech. And be Well Aware of your surroundings as well. Just because You may life in a 
Safe Neighborhood doesn't mean you won't be Robbed or be one of the many Victims of a Serial Murderer casing the area.

I'm only doing this PSA due what I am seeing around me. Which gives a me a Reason Belief this Needs to be Done, yet again.

Edited: I did some Correcting here. So are you guys happy now?

Just now, whm1974 said:

1. A number of Folks have been Hit by Vehicle or Worse, Creamed by Bus and/or Tracker Trailer.
  2. Criminals have Stabbed Users in the Back and then mugged them. This will in result in 911 Call and trip to ER. Death can also happen as well.

I'm only doing this PSA due what I am seeing around me. Which gives a me a Reason Belief this Needs to be Done, yet again.

You have seen people stabbed and run over? I call bullshit. 

1 minute ago, Blue4130 said:

You have seen people stabbed and run over? I call bullshit. 

Sometimes I bother to Read the News. And I didn't say I got stabbed and ran over neither while wear those. I have always used the Open Ears and kept volume low enough to hear Traffic and those around me.

I was just reporting what I see what's going on.

1 minute ago, whm1974 said:

I was just reporting what I read about what's going on.

There I fixed it for you. 

If people are dumb enough to put themselves in that situation, maybe the world is better for it. Same with people who walk and try using their phones to watch tv. 

If someone was going to stab and murder you, not wearing headphones likely wouldn't have saved you.

EDIT:

Spoiler

Just in case OP edits their post, this was the original post I responded to:

image.thumb.png.f666b24b5b8c3f8405ee68135af030be.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Good advice, but... most people don't care what's going on around themselves or even the consequences of their own actions (texting while driving etc). They are too immersed in their digital world, then wonder why they become a victim not realizing how easy of a target they make themselves.

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

I'm curious, how can I prevent people from coming up behind be and stabbing me if I'm not wearing earbuds? Even if I can hear them I won't automatically assume they want to stab me...  and even if I did I'm not sure I could stop them, what with them having a knife...

This should be more about "pay attention to your surroundings" than earbuds in particular imo. They don't block out traffic noise in my experience unless you're playing music at a volume so high that it would be unsafe for your hearing to begin with.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

9 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Sometimes I bother to Read the News. And I didn't say I got stabbed and ran over neither while wear those. I have always used the Open Ears and kept volume low enough to hear Traffic and those around me.

Another topic, I read a lot of news. Never once have I read about someone getting stabbed because of headphones. 

2 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm curious, how can I prevent people from coming up behind be and stabbing me if I'm not wearing earbuds? Even if I can hear them I won't automatically assume they want to stab me...  

Assume every stranger you meet or simply passes you on the street wants to do harm to you. It happens every day...

PRAISE THE LORD AND PASS THE AMMUNITION...

EVGA X299 Dark, i7-9800X, EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW2 SLI

17 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

User rendered unable to Hear what other Folks around them are doing or saying to them.

Most people use their eyes to detect what the people around them are doing (unless you for some reason like overhearing other people's conversations...?), and it is in fact possible to remove earbuds that are being worn, if needed. They are not an implant.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

A number of Folks have been Hit by Vehicle or Worse, Creamed by Bus and/or Tracker Trailer.

I don't know about you, but I like using my eyes to observe the traffic around me. Look both ways before crossing, etc. If you are just walking straight into the road, and relying on listening for traffic, I would be more worried about you.

20 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Criminals have Stabbed Users in the Back and then mugged them. This will in result in 911 Call and trip to ER. Death can also happen as well.

Ah, yes, because people that do not wear earbuds never get stabbed or mugged. I did not know that calling 911, a trip to the ER, or even death is sometimes a consequence of being stabbed, thank you for informing us about this, you are very smart.

14 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Ah, yes, correlation = causation. You not wearing earbuds in traffic is the only reason you haven't gotten stabbed, mugged or ran over. That seems like a very valid conclusion

:)

3 minutes ago, Sauron said:

I'm curious, how can I prevent people from coming up behind be and stabbing me if I'm not wearing earbuds?

Get yourself one of these badboys for on a helmet and you can open your third eye see all your surroundings 😎:

image.png.55259ecaf363e7c5f7bc259ab5d1f8ea.png

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Just now, Rocketdog2112 said:

Assume every stranger you meet or simply passes you on the street wants to do harm to you. It happens every day...

It happens every day but it does not happen to everyone and everywhere. The likelihood of me getting mugged is statistically insignificant, let alone get stabbed out of nowhere for a handful of cash that I'd just give them if they threatened me. There are some categories who are more statistically at risk but I don't fall into any of them.

And again, what could I even realistically do to prevent it even if I assumed everyone was out to stab me? Even if I carried a weapon with me I couldn't just pull it on random strangers all the time... and by the time the knife is out it's usually too late.

3 minutes ago, minibois said:

Get yourself one of these badboys for on a helmet and you can open your third eye see all your surroundings 😎:

image.png.55259ecaf363e7c5f7bc259ab5d1f8ea.png

That way I can headbutt them and escape :P

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

My point is you can using your Hearing in addiction to your eyes to notice what is around you.

I also in a somewhat bad neighborhood.

1 minute ago, Caroline said:

Uh pretty sure that's not how you mug, because you know... you want the guy to be quiet and not screaming like a chicken being strangled?

Not like I'm a criminal or something

I only wear them when riding a bus because the engines make a terrible noise

Criminals don't Mug People when other People are around. And yes it is possible to prevent someone from stabbing you. If you know how to do so.

7 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

And yes it is possible to prevent someone from stabbing you. If you know how to do so.

Only if you know what's going on... and if the mugger comes up behind you and stabs you, you don't. Regardless of whether you can hear them. There isn't a "stabber" sound.

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

Deaf people must have it really rough where you live. Open prey for getting ran over and mugged.

5800X3D / ASUS X570 Dark Hero / 32GB 3600mhz / EVGA RTX 3090ti FTW3 Ultra / Dell S3422DWG / Logitech G815 / Logitech G502 / Sennheiser HD 599

2021 Razer Blade 14 3070 / S23 Ultra

Haha, oh boy. I've been wearing headphones for 20 years in public. Result? Absolutely nothing. There's been maybe two times when I've almost been hit by a car, and it wasn't any fault of the headphones. It was driver negligence. If most folks are having nothing happen to them, do you know what that means? It's not that dangerous, and the people that are having things happen are the exception, not the rule. 

1. Not true. Hearing, yes, but hearing isn't every sense we have. You will still know what people are doing to you. You still have touch, sight, and in some cases, smell.
  2. So they weren't looking where they were going. Deaf people exist, and they're not getting plastered all over the place.
  3. This has also happened to people not wearing headphones. I'd say at a greater rate than those that are. That's a really irrelevant point.

By your theory, you should never:

• Eat food - you might choke on it. This will not happen if the food does not enter the mouth.
  • Take any kind of transport - accidents happen every day, in every city.
  • Drink water - it's possible to OD.

If you take due care, you'll be perfectly fine.

1 hour ago, Rocketdog2112 said:

What a sad life that would be to live.

19 minutes ago, whm1974 said:

Criminals don't Mug People when other People are around. And yes it is possible to prevent someone from stabbing you. If you know how to do so.

He meant the intent is still there regardless of if you're wearing headphones or not. If they're coming up from behind, they wouldn't know you were wearing them anyway. Plus, that's such a rare occurrence. It's easier to threaten someone with a knife, than to go through with the actual act.

10 minutes ago, Sauron said:

Only if you know what's going on... and if the mugger comes up behind you and stabs you, you don't. Regardless of whether you can hear them. There isn't a "stabber" sound.

He's spent too much time playing CoD and needs to hear them loud footsteps or have the perk so that you know when people are looking at you :ph34r:

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

I'm curious, how can I prevent people from coming up behind be and stabbing me if I'm not wearing earbuds?

I suppose some sort of metal detector strapped to your back could warn you just before impact. Although that wouldn't account of ceramic or other non-metal knives.

3 minutes ago, Caroline said:

Also how did this thread went from wearing earbuds to discussing if you can avoid getting stabbed?

Yes. Yes it did.

Edit: so please feel free to submit your anti-stab system/method/device/gizmo below.

8 minutes ago, akio123008 said:

Edit: so please feel free to submit your anti-stab system/method/device/gizmo below.

1. Travel back in time.
  2. Give your parents the gizmo below.
  3. ???
  4. Never get stabbed in the back!

condom.thumb.jpg.59a2f7a0b2b76468f8d700774085d009.jpg

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

So that's why I get to work and find my back bleeding? I was stabbed because I has my earbuds in.

1. If someone is talking to me, I remove my buds,  really not that hard.

2. Pretty sure this is more likely that people were looking down at their phone as opposed to purely having earbuds in (see all the pokemon go injuries). Hell people get hit all the time despite neither of the above because they aren't aware of their surroundings, but again, still not the fault of earbuds.

3. Lolwat. If someone is going to stab and mug you, it literally doesn't matter if you have earbuds in or not.

Also to your comment of "you can stop a mugging if you know how"; not everyone is an ex-marine or martial artist. 

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

40 minutes ago, Arika S said:

Also to your comment of "you can stop a mugging if you know how"; not everyone is an ex-marine or martial artist. 

You don't have to be an Ex-Marine or Martial Artist  to prevent from stabbing you in the back. Especially with someone who know doesn't know use a knife as a weapon and can't keep their footsteps quiet.