Nintendo silently removes 250 DSi games from purchase on DSi and 3DS

rcmaehl

Summary

Nintendo has silently removed 250 digital only DSiWare games from the DSi and 3DS eShops. Existing purchases can be re-downloaded but new purchases can not be made.

Media

Quotes

Nintendo is in the midst of a purge of their Nintendo DSi titles, with more than half of the games for the Nintendo DSi delisted. The games... are still downloadable if they are previously bought, but newcomers can no longer buy hundreds of... titles. Shantae: Risky's Revenge, Dr. Mario Express, Mr. Driller, and The Oregon Trail. Nintendo of America has apparently purged almost all DSi titles that are over ten years old, with those from 2010 and older now gone. Most tiles are still available in the EU at the moment, but the situation is still a little murky as enterprising users are trying to discover what exactly has been removed and what is still available. Nintendo did not give gamers an advanced warning like they did for the Wii Shop Channel and DSi Shop in 2017. We've reached out for comment and we'll update this article the moment we receive word back from Nintendo. 

My thoughts

Hopefully this is just a glitch. Removing digital only copies of games makes it extremely hard to preserve works for future generations. 

Sources
Tech Raptor (quote source)

Delisted Games

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

37 minutes ago, rcmaehl said:

Hopefully this is just a glitch. Removing digital only copies of games makes it extremely hard to preserve works for future generations. 

Considering Nintendo pulls this kind of crap all the time, probably not.

From time limited games(Mario 35), to outright pulling the plug on the servers (Wii and DS for example).

Imagine being a developer for Mario 35, working on it for months and being told the game is only going to be up and running for a while and then it's over. Can't even archive it to play offline with friends or anything.

Wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this in preparation to shut down the servers entirely.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

Bob we talked about this

You are not allowed to smoke weed at work and click random buttons 

But who am I kidding Nintendo probably has some arbitrary reason for this

Quote me for a reply, React if I was helpful, informative, or funny

AMD blackout rig

cpu: ryzen 5 3600 @4.4ghz @1.35v

gpu: rx5700xt 2200mhz

ram: vengeance lpx c15 3200mhz

mobo: gigabyte b550 pro 

psu: cooler master mwe 650w

case: masterbox mbx520

fans:Noctua industrial 3000rpm x6

5 minutes ago, gabrielcarvfer said:

To get a borked version of the game, as updates won't be saved on the cartridge/disk 😬

Can still get updates. But if it's removed from an online store forever, you still at least have the base game. Besides, we're talking about Nintendo. Are there actually updates to their cartridge games? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Last I ever played a Nintendo game was when the DSi was new.

12 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

This is a good reminder that digital services are not solutions to physical or persistent media sources. In 50, or even 15 years, you may not be able to find the games, TV shows, and Movies you want to watch anywhere unless you have a local backup, or if the GoG and EGS plan of Universal Ownership [2] (the idea that a universal ledger keeps-track of all media a person owns, and all of it can be downloaded from a variety of source) is successful.

A streaming service needs to have a license agreement in order to supply an item. The more they offer, the more agreements and license fees and bureaucracy they have to deal with. So, as more and more content becomes available, they'll retire various content.

Torrents for old media will eventually become unsupported by seeders, and torrent sites themselves might become threatened by new legislation. And commercial businesses will eventually retire items from purchase-availability.

I think it is inevitable that universal ownership will become in-place. But it's important that people keep pushing for their ownership rights to be acknowledged and enforced above publisher interference of those people's ownership rights over their goods, because publishers are continuing to try to stamp-out the idea.

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

47 minutes ago, TempestCatto said:

Can still get updates. But if it's removed from an online store forever, you still at least have the base game. Besides, we're talking about Nintendo. Are there actually updates to their cartridge games? I don't think so, but I could be wrong. Last I ever played a Nintendo game was when the DSi was new.

Yeah, Switch games get updates all the time, and those are on cartridges.  Splatoon 2 still gets regularly updated.  I had to download an update for Age of Calamity. (for something more recent)

Currently focusing on my video game collection.

It doesn't matter what you play games on, just play good games you enjoy.

3 hours ago, TempestCatto said:

Can still get updates

and then they shutdown the servers, like they already did in the past with the Wii.

Physical media has lost it's purpose and no longer holds any meaningful advantage

And yes, Nintendo too releases patches for their cartridges (had to download a day one patch  back when i bought Pokemon X). An awful practice that has spread industry wide

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

5 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

and then they shutdown the servers, like they already did in the past with the Wii

The Wii Shop Channel is still fully functional, you cannot buy any titles, but you can download titles you have already bought before the closure of the channel.

17 hours ago, TetraSky said:

Wouldn't be surprised if they are doing this in preparation to shut down the servers entirely.

Hard to say, after all it's Nintendo we are talking about. Company that stems from Japan and seems to have one or two too old devs within who still have enough power to pull out "great and new ideas" like the Badge Arcade and the Mario mobile game (whatever that was) and someone greenlights them the whole way. Most likely Mario 35 was also one of these "great and new ideas" that someone greenlighted all the way because they couldn't find any other games that were time limited in sales. Not to even poke the steaming pile of WTF with Amiibos and the mini consoles with very limited quantities manufactured and the resellers (even the wholesalers) given complete freedom of pricing (which is why SNES Mini was 50€ or something more expensive in the Nordic countries and IIRC some more sought after Amiibos have been a bit more expensive).

On one hand Nintendo does great things and manages to innovate gaming a lot more than other console manufacturers together. But on the other hand Nintendo is one F'ed up company.

If this was intentional, this would be the prime example of a company using the controllability of digital distribution to enforce planned obsolescence. All the removed games can now be released on another console, possibly as exclusives; adding to the fact that users weren't on the lookout to buy / archive these games since they didn't know this was going to happen. Even Konami had the decency(wow what a thing to say) to announce they'd be removing PT. 

CPU: AMD Athlon 200GE

Mobo: Gigabyte B450MDS3H

RAM: Corsair Vengance LPX DDR4 3000Mhz

GPU: Asus ROG Strix RX570 4GB

1TB HDD, Windows 10 64-bit