Hello, I need help regarding motherboard and BIOS

Hello, I made this pc build and bought all the parts that are now on the way : 

If you go on the link, at the bottom it says : Warning!Some AMD B550 chipset motherboards may need a BIOS update prior to using Vermeer CPUs. Upgrading the BIOS may require a different CPU that is supported by older BIOS revisions.

I was wondering what that means, should I be worried, will my Ryzen 5 5600X cause issues?

Did I buy it and now I wont be able to use at as it says there different CPU?

I am scared and don't really know the best way to go about this and so need help.

And how do I even know if I have to do a BIOS update or not?

Thank you a lot!!!

The msi site has a Page dedicated to this mobo model. there You have cpu compatibility list.

If update is needed the board has bios flashback, You can update bios without cpu installed. You unpack bios on usb stick, insert in special usb connector, press a Button, wait 1 min, done

// Mobile typing sucks

4 minutes ago, mariushm said:

The msi site has a Page dedicated to this mobo model. there You have cpu compatibility list.

If update is needed the board has bios flashback, You can update bios without cpu installed. You unpack bios on usb stick, insert in special usb connector, press a Burton, wait 1 min, done

// Mobile typing sucks

image.thumb.png.ad3024b05c49849772a6d5b925fd71bf.png

Do you know what this means, I will use the 5600X, but how will I know if I need a BIOS update or not

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

If update is needed the board has bios flashback, You can update bios without cpu installed. You unpack bios on usb stick, insert in special usb connector, press a Burton, wait 1 min, done

// Mobile typing sucks

image.thumb.png.02a55b13e2141a426cb6677df5892734.png

considering these are the latest BIOS updates on MSI

It means that support for 5600x was added in the BIOS version A4. That's the file name of the download,  7C91vA4  - 7C91 is MSI's internal code for your motherboard (B550 Tomohawk ATX whatever), A4 is the revision of the bios. 

That particular version A4 was released in November 2020 - if the motherboard left MSI's factory before that date, the bios will probably be older and you MAY have to update the bios, and that can be easily done as I've explained.  In more detail, you get a usb stick, format it as FAT32 (or the file system mentioned in the manual),  unzip the downloaded file  and copy the bios file in the root of your usb stick  and maybe you have to rename it a certain way  (MSI.BIN  or 7C91.ROM  or something like that, it says in the manual or in the readme in the zip file you download).  Then you shove the stick in the Flashback usb port, press the button and wait a minute or so and your bios is updated. 

Note that it can take up to a minute or so for the motherboard and cpu to start the first time they're installed, so don't be paranoid or scared, just make sure the power button is inserted correctly in the header, press the power on button and let the pc start for around 1 minute or even more.  If it takes more time, you can check the manual and see what leds are on (debug leds) to point to the problem, or maybe if the board has a digit display, read those digits and check the manual.

7 minutes ago, mariushm said:

It means that support for 5600x was added in the BIOS version A4. That's the file name of the download,  7C91vA4  - 7C91 is MSI's internal code for your motherboard (B550 Tomohawk ATX whatever), A4 is the revision of the bios. 

That particular version A4 was released in November 2020 - if the motherboard left MSI's factory before that date, the bios will probably be older and you MAY have to update the bios, and that can be easily done as I've explained.  In more detail, you get a usb stick, format it as FAT32 (or the file system mentioned in the manual),  unzip the downloaded file  and copy the bios file in the root of your usb stick  and maybe you have to rename it a certain way  (MSI.BIN  or 7C91.ROM  or something like that, it says in the manual or in the readme in the zip file you download).  Then you shove the stick in the Flashback usb port, press the button and wait a minute or so and your bios is updated. 

Note that it can take up to a minute or so for the motherboard and cpu to start the first time they're installed, so don't be paranoid or scared, just make sure the power button is inserted correctly in the header, press the power on button and let the pc start for around 1 minute or even more.  If it takes more time, you can check the manual and see what leds are on (debug leds) to point to the problem, or maybe if the board has a digit display, read those digits and check the manual.

so there isn't really a way for me to check what BIOS the motherboard is currently running?

also, can I do the BIOS update by just having the motherboard connected to power without anything else installed?

also, thank you a lot

There might be a sticker on the box or the board with factory installed bios version, but you can build it, if it works, you are good, if it doesnt, use bios flashback to update it. Read the manual to find out how to use the flashback function

54 minutes ago, mihaivoicu_ said:

so there isn't really a way for me to check what BIOS the motherboard is currently running?

also, can I do the BIOS update by just having the motherboard connected to power without anything else installed?

also, thank you a lot

Like I said, BIOS Flashback feature allows you to update your bios without a CPU installed in the CPU socket.  You will just need to power the motherboard with the 24 pin ATX connector (and possibly the 8 pin, but I don't think so).

There's basically a microcontroller that reads the data from the USB stick and programs the bios chip directly, and this microcontroller is powered from the 5v stand-by of your power supply.  Since there's no CPU installed, you shouldn't have to connect the 8 pin cpu power cable, and you shouldn't have to install a memory stick. 

The manual explains these things, and you can download the manual from the MSI website, on your motherboard model page. Go ahead and download it and browse through it and figure things out.