Games do not feel like they are running at high refresh rate?

hazj

Wondering if anyone can help me, i play various games including valorant, csgo, rocket league, call of duty to name a few, i have an i9900k, rtx 2080s, 240hz alienware monitor, 16gb g skill 3600mhz ram, gpu is running at base clock and cpu is running at 5ghz no issues. the issue comes where the game does not feel like it is running at the correct refresh rate, rocket league solid 250fps feels like a 180hz game for example, same as csgo, valorant is capped at 245 but if i uncap or set to 240 directly the game then turns choppy and horrible which makes no sense. motherboard is an ROG maximus hero XI and is on the latest version, mostly default settings and recently clean installed windows and still feeling the same issues. any ideas?

are you able to enable g-sync?

there could be smearing and other visuals that might make the viewing worse, or is it just not feeling smooth?

Disabled all other buffer/v-sync options?

Also high HZ screens like high FPS, and if you have enabled the best overdrive setting for your screen that is not bad?

Could you let us know which display you have specifically?

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

14 minutes ago, Egg guy said:

Well you need a graphics card and if you had it you need 144hz moniter screen or 75hz or more then you will feel like you are playing games at very high FPS 

He LITERALLY says "RTX 2080S" and "240 Hz Alienware monitor" ....

18 minutes ago, hazj said:

Wondering if anyone can help me, i play various games including valorant, csgo, rocket league, call of duty to name a few, i have an i9900k, rtx 2080s, 240hz alienware monitor, 16gb g skill 3600mhz ram, gpu is running at base clock and cpu is running at 5ghz no issues. the issue comes where the game does not feel like it is running at the correct refresh rate, rocket league solid 250fps feels like a 180hz game for example, same as csgo, valorant is capped at 245 but if i uncap or set to 240 directly the game then turns choppy and horrible which makes no sense. motherboard is an ROG maximus hero XI and is on the latest version, mostly default settings and recently clean installed windows and still feeling the same issues. any ideas?

Are you using the DisplayPort output on the monitor.

Or... you need to speed if the DisplayPort or HDMI port is the one that can output 240 Hz at native resolution.

Make sure in the Windows settings, you are setting it to 240 Hz, too.

For example, to enable 144 Hz on my monitors -- at default it is only 60 Hz.

image.png.9c3de2b26105f1ecfa5eaecc1b72ecd1.pngimage.png.f34c33db42a5d6370f65769cb2c43202.png

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

On 1/5/2021 at 2:29 AM, Quackers101 said:

are you able to enable g-sync?

there could be smearing and other visuals that might make the viewing worse, or is it just not feeling smooth?

Disabled all other buffer/v-sync options?

Also high HZ screens like high FPS, and if you have enabled the best overdrive setting for your screen that is not bad?

hi, monitor is gsync compatible but is turned off to reduce input lag, havent tried playing with this turned on but as i play competitive fps games gsync is not something id like to use! all v sync and buffer options are off, game just doesnt feel smooth. it is most noticeable in rocket league and valorant. rocket league has a 250fps cap and the frames never drop from 250 but the game for some reason feels like its running at 160hz or something, valorant is similar where if i uncap the fps, the game loses all its smoothness, so i have to keep the game capped at 245 for it to run smoothly. 

On 1/5/2021 at 2:42 AM, -rascal- said:

He LITERALLY says "RTX 2080S" and "240 Hz Alienware monitor" ....

Are you using the DisplayPort output on the monitor.

Or... you need to speed if the DisplayPort or HDMI port is the one that can output 240 Hz at native resolution.

Make sure in the Windows settings, you are setting it to 240 Hz, too.

For example, to enable 144 Hz on my monitors -- at default it is only 60 Hz.

image.png.9c3de2b26105f1ecfa5eaecc1b72ecd1.pngimage.png.f34c33db42a5d6370f65769cb2c43202.png

hi mate thanks for the words, display port cable is being used, monitor is set to 240hz in both windows and in nvidia settings so this cant be the problem. cpu and gpu clocks are running fine, do you think it could be a PSU issue? i have a 750w PSU which is more than enough to run an i9900k and a 2080s but its probably going on 2/3 years old. wonder if this could be causing the issue. 

On 1/5/2021 at 2:35 AM, Slottr said:

Hi, the monitor is an Alienware A2518H 240hz

okay so update, played rocket league and tried setting the fps cap to 240 and it introduced blips of screen tearing? even with the monitor being 240hz, theres an issue with the hardware somewhere

On 1/5/2021 at 3:35 AM, Slottr said:

there really are tons of reports like this recently, especially with 20xx and also 10xx, usually they say something like "I played cyberpunk" or "I updated nvidia drivers"... 

I think it's kinda weird no one connected the dots yet............ 

I'm not saying nvidia did this on purpose (although who knows) but I'm saying something is up with latest drivers that kinda breaks compatibility or something. 

Also many say Gsync isn't working properly anymore which also seems related... 

I've also yet to see an actual fix for this issue. 

Note I've been on drivers from January '20 the whole past year, no issues... and updated recently, reluctantly, to latest Studio drivers because of my my new gpu... also no issues... even though I specifically chose to install studio drivers because I read somewhere that gigabyte actually recommends that... 

22 minutes ago, hazj said:

okay so update, played rocket league and tried setting the fps cap to 240 and it introduced blips of screen tearing? even with the monitor being 240hz, theres an issue with the hardware somewhere

Are you using Gsync / Vsync by chance...? 

Could you try without that perhaps if the issue persists?

Edit: I just read post above... so no Gsync etc... OK

you can try locking the framerate with Afterburner to like 240 or 120 fps, just to see if that fixes it (I don't know how you set it before, but actually  Afterburner is supposed to be the best option to limit framerates. 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

It's been the case for a while now that my games do not feel like im playing at 240hz, im always keeping drivers updated etc, hopefully a future driver fixes this issue and if it isnt on their end then it must be my end that is the issue, weird that no one has an answer to this, it would be easier to show the issue via video but im sure the video would output better quality than what im seeing with my own eyes. thanks for the comments anyhow

21 hours ago, hazj said:

hi mate thanks for the words, display port cable is being used, monitor is set to 240hz in both windows and in nvidia settings so this cant be the problem. cpu and gpu clocks are running fine, do you think it could be a PSU issue? i have a 750w PSU which is more than enough to run an i9900k and a 2080s but its probably going on 2/3 years old. wonder if this could be causing the issue. 

Which make and model is your 750W PSU?

In any case, if the PSU if the problem, in most cases, the system would shutdown / reboot.

Okay, just making sure you were using the DisplayPort, because HDMI port on the monitor is HDMI 1.4 compliant, and that is only rated up to 1920x1080 120Hz.

You need to use the DisplayPort for 1920x1080 240 Hz.

Also, if the Ultra-Low Motion Blue (ULMB) Mode is ENABLED, you are capped at 144 Hz. Disable it to get 240 Hz. Should be a monitor setting (e.g. using the buttons built into the monitor and navigating the menus)

Oh! And a bit more information....

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-aw2518h-240hz-g-sync-monitor,5283-2.html

Game Enhance mode is similar to Asus’ GamePlus feature except that no aiming reticles are offered. You get a countdown timer, an FPS indicator, and a display alignment graphic for multi-screen setups. When G-Sync is turned off and the refresh rate is set to 144Hz or less, ULMB is enabled. There is a variable pulse-width slider that reduces motion blur and brightness in equal measure as you turn it lower. Dark Stabilizer is available here if you want to use it in the remaining picture modes.

The second menu contains just the brightness and contrast sliders. The former can be set independently for G-Sync, ULMB, and Normal modes. Following that is an input selector.

The final menu has signal info, power saving, and a factory reset that returns all settings to their defaults. This is the only place to find out if you’re in G-Sync, ULMB, or Normal mode. When you press any of the control keys, another info box appears at the top of the screen to indicate the picture mode, overdrive setting, and Dark Stabilizer value.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

In any case, if the PSU if the problem, in most cases, the system would shutdown / reboot.

Okay, just making sure you were using the DisplayPort, because HDMI port on the monitor is HDMI 1.4 compliant, and that is only rated up to 1920x1080 120Hz.

Also, if the Ultra-Low Motion Blue (ULMB) Mode is ENABLED, you are capped at 144 Hz. Disable it to get 240 Hz. Should be a monitor setting (e.g. using the buttons built into the monitor and navigating the menus)

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/alienware-aw2518h-240hz-g-sync-monitor,5283-2.html

PSU is a corsair hx750, should be more than enough to run the rig i have tbh so i cant see the psu being an issue, just read the monitor article you sent and theres some super useful information on there, ill do a few trials and tests with the game enhance mode on 'frame rate' to see what my monitor picks up. monitor has ULMB and ULMB Pulse Width greyed out so im assuming they are off and cannot be touched. been troubleshooting and reading other posts all day and still cant get to the bottom of it.

2 hours ago, -rascal- said:

just ran valorant on 245 cap and game ran fine, still not as smooth as i would imagine it to be but then uncapped it with the monitor showing the fps and it didnt move from 240 although the game felt like 60hz, really strange