Ticketmaster admits it hacked rival company before it went out of business

Pickles von Brine

Ticketmaster has agreed to pay a $10 million criminal fine after admitting its employees repeatedly used stolen passwords and other means to hack a rival ticket sales company.

The fine, which is part of a deferred prosecution agreement Ticketmaster entered with federal prosecutors, resolves criminal charges filed last week in federal court in the eastern district of New York. Charges include violations of the Computer Fraud and Abuse Act, computer intrusion for commercial advantage or private financial gain, computer intrusion in furtherance of fraud, conspiracy to commit wire fraud, and wire fraud.

In the settlement, Ticketmaster admitted that an employee who used to work for a rival company emailed the login credentials for multiple accounts the rival used to manage presale ticket sales. At a San Francisco meeting attended by at least 14 employees of Ticketmaster or its parent company Live Nation, the employee used one set of credentials to log in to an account to demonstrate how it worked.

Source

Well, this is not something you see everyday. The fact the unnamed employee provided info from a rival company, then got a promotion out of it. :| My only question is how did they think they could get away with it? Did they think the business going belly up would cover their tracks? Kinda messed up if you ask me. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

7 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

That $10 mil fine is not going to put their rival back in business, so it was probably worth it.

Exactly. Without a rival, they can probably recoup that pretty quickly too.

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

22 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

Exactly. Without a rival, they can probably recoup that pretty quickly too.

probably not through the Pandemic, but maybe after

7 hours ago, Jet_ski said:

I will go out of my way to not use Ticketmaster. What a bunch of *******.

The scary thing is how much of a monopoly the have on the sale of tickets, and no government body steps in properly.  It makes it super hard to avoid them.

3735928559 - Beware of the dead beef

Yeah, this is crazy. I'm going to make sure I don't let any of my family use Ticketmaster. 

Does anyone know who the competitor was?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 16-core 5950X

CPU Cooler: Artic Freezer 2 AIO 360mm Radiator

Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming

Memory: 32GB (2x16GB) G.Skill Trident Z Royal 3600 MHz CL16

GPU: Nvidia RTX 4080 MSI Ventus 3X 16GB GDDR6X

Storage OS: 500GB Samsung 980 Pro Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD

Storage Games: 2TB Corsair MP600 Gen4 M.2 NVme SSD + 2TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD + 500GB Samsung 850 Evo SSD

Storage Misc: 2TB Seagate Barracuda Compute 7200 RPM

PSU: Corsair HX Platinum 1000W 80+

Case: Fractal Design Meshify S2 ATX Mid Tower

Monitor: Dell Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz 1ms 3440p (widescreen) HDR400 OLED panel 34"  + Asus PG258Q 240Hz 1ms 1080p G-Sync TN panel 24.5"

Doesn't surprise me seeing how ticketmaster is greasier than a lube shop.  I think the Canadian government and Canadian news organizations have caught them using shady business practices like half a dozen times at this point. 

CPU: Intel i7 - 5820k @ 4.5GHz, Cooler: Corsair H80i, Motherboard: MSI X99S Gaming 7, RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4 2666MHz CL16,

GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Strix, Case: Corsair 900D, PSU: Corsair AX860i 860W, Keyboard: Logitech G19, Mouse: Corsair M95, Storage: Intel 730 Series 480GB SSD, WD 1.5TB Black

Display: BenQ XL2730Z 2560x1440 144Hz

5 hours ago, Actual_Criminal said:

Does anyone know who the competitor was?

It was allegedly SongKick.

Looking into this a bit more.  Songkick sued in 2017, but due to everything had to close up shop (and sold to Warner).  The ticket sales portion wasn't sold to Warner, and the suit continued to 2018.

A quote from the CEO of SongKick at the time

I’m sad to write that on 31 October, Songkick will bow to pressure from Live Nation and Ticketmaster and complete the shutdown of all ticketing operations (including the design and maintenance of artist webpages) we began earlier this year when Ticketmaster and Live Nation effectively blocked our US ticketing business

The case was settled in 2018, for $110 million and Ticketmaster buying the remaining ticket sales assets.  So effectively TicketMaster successfully succeeded in shutting down their competition.  (That was like 1% of their total revenue they earned in 2019 to regain a monopoly effectively).

Honestly, the fact they could settle for $10million fine is ridiculous.  Even including the amount they paid in the lawsuit, it's just the cost of doing business it seems.  ($10 million is really nothing to TicketMaster).  Really there should be jail time for the executives that knowingly did this.

The problem with Ticketmaster and Live Nation is that when buying tickets to more popular artists, there's often no alternative. Even if you use a 3rd party scalping site, they still bought their tickets from Ticketmaster, so TM is still getting their cut, and you're paying more for the shitty scalper to profit from. It's a lose lose situation.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

I knew Ticketmaster was scum, but I didn’t know they were THIS bad. $10 million is nothing to large corporations. Awful.

Yeah like others have pointed out $10million don't do shit for deterrence for Ticketmaster.

Actively condoning your employees hacking competitors to extinction? Buh-bye corp! At least, that's what it should be.

CPU - Ryzen 7 3700X | RAM - 64 GB DDR4 3200MHz | GPU - Nvidia GTX 1660 ti | MOBO -  MSI B550 Gaming Plus

If corporations are people they should be jailed when they commit crimes. They get a two year sentence, the company isn't allowed to operate in any form for two years and competitors come and take their market share in that period. Then the criminals have to come back and try to win that market share back in two years.

30 minutes ago, SteveGrabowski0 said:

If corporations are people they should be jailed when they commit crimes. They get a two year sentence, the company isn't allowed to operate in any form for two years and competitors come and take their market share in that period. Then the criminals have to come back and try to win that market share back in two years.

The way it should work is there should be a requirement to hand over all emails/communication of who said what and when...then the CEO's, upper management who knowingly promoted/incentivized it should be jailed.  That's the only way to make large companies learn.

3 hours ago, dalekphalm said:

The problem with Ticketmaster and Live Nation is that when buying tickets to more popular artists, there's often no alternative. Even if you use a 3rd party scalping site, they still bought their tickets from Ticketmaster, so TM is still getting their cut, and you're paying more for the shitty scalper to profit from. It's a lose lose situation.

I think it was a while back, but they actually tried moving on the scalpers to force the use of the ticketmaster reselling website (to which they took another cut). 

On 1/8/2021 at 10:57 AM, wanderingfool2 said:

The way it should work is there should be a requirement to hand over all emails/communication of who said what and when...then the CEO's, upper management who knowingly promoted/incentivized it should be jailed.  That's the only way to make large companies learn.

Will probably just encourage the use of encrypted and ephemeral communications within the company to ensure no evidence is left behind. In what you propose (pursuing criminal charges), the Fifth amendment would apply, allowing the defendant to withhold contents of the mind, which conveniently includes encryption passwords, the only exception being that the encrypted contents are already known to investigators(foregone conclusion).  Honestly, tech is kind of above the law. :/

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…