GTX 1080 worth it in 2021

I'm upgrading my build from an rx 580, and I was wondering if getting a 1080 8g second hand for 350 dollars (This is all due to the scalping of the 3000 series cards) is a good deal. I'm just unsure about how future proof it will be, as well as the performance gain I would get from going back 2 generations.

Any help is appreciated :^)

1080 is still a 1080p beast 350$ is a bit too much but the card itself will run AAA at 60fps for at least another 2 years

if it was useful give it a like :) btw if your into linux pay a visit here

How many buzzword phrases can you put in one post

It depends on what system you have and what you want to do with it. 350$ for a 1080 is a tad high but not crazy, especially with gpu prices the way they are. If you’re going to be able to fully utilize a gtx 1080 and it’s what you can afford, yes. Without much more information I’m not sure.

1 minute ago, 8tg said:

How many buzzword phrases can you put in one post

It depends on what system you have and what you want to do with it. 350$ for a 1080 is a tad high but not crazy, especially with gpu prices the way they are. If you’re going to be able to fully utilize a gtx 1080 and it’s what you can afford, yes. Without much more information I’m not sure.

Ok, The reason I want to upgrade is that I do a lot of heavy moding with Bethesda games and I am currently struggling to hit 40 fps in those titles. U think I would be able to hit 60 fps?

I'd wait a couple of months and see how things stand.  Buying old hardware is always a risk as it could have been mining for years and fail tomorrow.

No matter what you go for its going to be pretty overpriced right now as the demand is so high.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

1 hour ago, The_Moisturizer said:

I'm upgrading my build from an rx 580, and I was wondering if getting a 1080 8g second hand for 350 dollars (This is all due to the scalping of the 3000 series cards) is a good deal. I'm just unsure about how future proof it will be, as well as the performance gain I would get from going back 2 generations.

A 1080 is roughly equivalent to a 2070 (minus the ray tracing performance). Last year I went from a 1080 to a 2070 and didn’t notice much of an increase in performance.

The 1080 is still a capable card for 1440p 60 Hz or maybe 1080p 144 Hz depending on the game of course. Whether it’s worth much second hand depends on the used pricing where you live. 

CPU i7 14700K | CPU Cooler Noctua NH-U12A | Motherboard MSI Pro Z690-A | GPU Zotac Airo RTX 4080 | RAM 32 GB GSkill Ripjaws V 4400
Mhz |
 Monitor Alienware AW2721D / Gigabyte M28U | PSU ASUS ROG Strix 850G

A 1080 is still a good card for all 1920x1080 run games or most 1440p titles, even though you won't get 144 fps in anything recent at max settings.

But with all the scalping going on and almost all even older cards out of stock everywhere, you're going to be paying too high prices for any used card.  But if you need a card and that card wasn't mined to death, I mean you have to do what you have to do.  Do you know if that card was abused or not?

4 hours ago, mahyar said:

1080 is still a 1080p beast 350$ is a bit too much but the card itself will run AAA at 60fps for at least another 2 years

The fact it will run does not mean it will run smooth. The amount of Cuda Cores is increasing recently so If you would like to game on a higher details level you're gonna have to swap. Besides from what I know some in game updates may cause the game to run slower if you have less efficient GPU. Unfortunately this is what these companies do.

An example of GTX 1080 performance below.

Drops are unfortunately occuring:

4 hours ago, mahyar said:

The price is not attractive any more though. Add 150$ and have RTX 3060 Ti or so...

On 1/4/2021 at 2:50 AM, Falkentyne said:

A 1080 is still a good card for all 1920x1080 run games or most 1440p titles, even though you won't get 144 fps in anything recent at max settings.

But with all the scalping going on and almost all even older cards out of stock everywhere, you're going to be paying too high prices for any used card.  But if you need a card and that card wasn't mined to death, I mean you have to do what you have to do.  Do you know if that card was abused or not?

It wasn't used to mine,  it was from a guy who just did a lot of Blender stuff

IMHO I think you should wait to see the pricing of the 3050ti and 3060. It's going to be a long wait but it might be worth it, additionally if it isn't worth it then the prices will be even lower on the 1080 (even in my country, Serbia, those are widely available while the ti's are extremely rare or very over priced at like $490)

I currently have a 1060 3G and I made a huge mistake buying it, looking to upgrade to either a 3050ti or a 1080.

• 1 month later...
On 1/3/2021 at 11:33 PM, The_Moisturizer said:

I actually downgraded from a 2070 to a 1080FE. I would suggest the 2070 however, it really depends. If your going to overclock, then get the 1080. They have a wider range of oc and in my case, being that I have a Founders Edition, can oc twice as much as my 2070 could. So I would say yes go for the card unless you can find a 2070 for a similar price and your not gonna overclock.