HELP! Damaged new motherboard during build . . .

NJD

HELP!  ASUS CROSSHAIR VIII HERO (WI-FI) DAMAGED during build.

Trying to teach my 13 year grandson how to build computers and do neat things like custom cable management. He wanted to punch a hole thru the back wall of his Phanteks case and run the 24 pin connector out the back. He thought he measured correctly, working blindly from the back of the case he had to file a notch for the 24 pin connector to fit thru but wasn't paying attention to how close the motherboard was on the other side . . . Oh Well, live and learn, he accidently filed about 1/16" into the edge of the motherboard exactly at the Probelt Test Area. I don't know how this will affect the motherboard? I told my grandson I would just buy him a new board, now he wants an Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board . . . don't know how this mistake will affect the the board, It should still work to some degree I would think? Maybe it won't affect it at all? The build was stopped immediately, the board has never had electricity applied to it . . . Does anyone have any idea how this mistake will affect the motherboard? The attached pictures will show what happened . . . Thank You

IMG_5712.JPG

IMG_5710.JPG

IMG_5708.JPG

IMG_5704.JPG

IMG_5703.JPG

if it's only that edge, it would be fine. so long it doesn't arc when you turn it on then just turn it off again.

if something else is damaged that would be worse, can't see from here but maybe a few lines are damaged?

it could maybe post, but don't go for full if it's badly damaged and take out CPU GPU just to see if it turns on.

id think it would be fine as long as it hasnt touched any connections

OUTDATED JAN 2021 ===========> Check out my pc building guide! might be useful tho

It's great for planning new builds, getting a reference on where to start, or seeing what you need to play what games.

It also shows what I recommend for upgrading your stuff!

cpu - ryzen 5 3600

gpu - gtx 1070

ram - (2x8) 3200mhz

ssd - 970 evo plus 500gb

ssd2 - 860 qvo 1tb

mobo - asrock b450m hdv r4.0

psu - evga b5 550w bronze

So there are two options the board is dead or alive. from the picture its hard to tell if you damaged any traces(I doubt you damaged it), just try it but before you do it clean it from he dust and any possible metal shavings, which may be leftover after cutting the case (take the PC apart and make sure its pristine metal shavings is what would worry me the most)

It's probably not going to boot. All those traces are now minced meat and tangled together. Probably will be an instant short, one of the layers is ground, others data and power. 

I wouldn't risk my other components trying to post this personally, but hey you have a 50% chance. It either works or it doesn't, My fear is taking out other hardware if it's a catastrophic failure.

-= Topics Merged =-

One topic posted is enough.

Lessons learned from this topic:

Measure twice, cut once.

Never mod a case while the mobo is installed.

Never post more than once.

/s

Seriously though, without seeing the bottom of the board it is difficult to see if there is damage to any traces. Please inspect the bottom of the board before replacing it.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

Time to take it out and look at the back and send a pic of that. Then if it doesn't look like traces are missing you can try it outside the case to see if it works.

If it doesn't then just bs your way through warranty saying it has a dent in it and you don't know why. It's a very clean piece that is missing so they'll most likely accept it. Done it before with boards that had stuff broken by the user and just made it look like shipping or factory issue works most of the time.

27 minutes ago, NJD said:

I told my grandson I would just buy him a new board, now he wants an Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero board

Isn't that a $500 motherboard?

There's probably a lesson to be learned somewhere in all of this. Buy the cheapest motherboard compatible with the CPU. A320?

9 minutes ago, jaslion said:

If it doesn't then just bs your way through warranty saying it has a dent in it and you don't know why. It's a very clean piece that is missing so they'll most likely accept it. Done it before with boards that had stuff broken by the user and just made it look like shipping or factory issue works most of the time.

If motherboard vendors won't accept returns for boards with bent socket pins they're not going to accept someone hacking a chunk out of it. I'm pretty sure Asus has seen enough motherboards to know that board didn't come out of the factory like that.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

13 minutes ago, jaslion said:

Not sound advice to be handing out... 🤨

Familiar with our Community Standards?

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

18 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Not sound advice to be handing out... 🤨

Familiar with our Community Standards?

That in there? What does it fall under? Honestly no I just assumed the general tech forum rules that were in place with toms hardware applied here as I couldn't find a community rules tab when I joined and I've never ran into trouble. If this is against the rules I'll happily remove it no problem.

23 minutes ago, Spotty said:

Isn't that a $500 motherboard?

There's probably a lesson to be learned somewhere in all of this. Buy the cheapest motherboard compatible with the CPU. A320?

If motherboard vendors won't accept returns for boards with bent socket pins they're not going to accept someone hacking a chunk out of it. I'm pretty sure Asus has seen enough motherboards to know that board didn't come out of the factory like that.

I've gotten very mixed responses too but doesn't hurt to try. I mean it's an expensive board and if it's broken might as well give it your best shot at being accepted.

1 hour ago, jaslion said:

Time to take it out and look at the back and send a pic of that. Then if it doesn't look like traces are missing you can try it outside the case to see if it works.

You can clearly see the traces from the provided pictures. Where the grinder went into the PCB,

that copper color..... yeah.. those are the tracings. About 6 layers of wiring looks like thrown in a blender....

Most likely won't get an RMA from this one. Warranty is provided for manufacturer defects, not users grinding an edge out of a motherboard.... 

That in there? What does it fall under? Honestly no I just assumed the general tech forum rules that were in place with toms hardware applied here as I couldn't find a community rules tab when I joined and I've never ran into trouble. If this is against the rules I'll happily remove it no problem.

It's close to trolling. People can't read into sarcasm or seriousness depending on how it's worded. I for one figured you where not serious.

4 hours ago, jaslion said:

Pinned top of each page so saying you haven't seen it must mean you are trolling...

As for your original reply, if you are serious it's against both core values (don't be a dick and remember your audience) and piracy (which covers all illegal or malicious activity towards a company. If you were trolling or sarcastic, there's rule about trolling.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

7 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

It's probably not going to boot. All those traces are now minced meat and tangled together. Probably will be an instant short, one of the layers is ground, others data and power. 

I mean it does not look like there are any traces, but @SansVarnicis right too, should inspect the backside of the motherboard to see if there are any traces...

But I do agree also its a big risk, and some lessons should be learned (and probably not by buying another $500 motherboard lol) 

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

7 hours ago, Mark Kaine said:

I mean it does not look like there are any traces, but @SansVarnicis right too, should inspect the backside of the motherboard to see if there are any traces...

But I do agree also its a big risk, and some lessons should be learned (and probably not by buying another $500 motherboard lol) 

How do you guys not see the copper traces?! Lol.

Look closely at the last pic in OP. You can see that copper color? That's not just green board my friend!!

2 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

How do you guys not see the copper traces?! Lol.

Am on phone, that's my excuse... it looked clean lol. 

But you're right. 

1535037338_Screenshot_20210104-140501_SamsungInternetBeta.thumb.jpg.4028e52ef0ffe1030d0f88e36666139d.jpg

it's toast... cut right through it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

9 hours ago, LogicalDrm said:

Pinned top of each page so saying you haven't seen it must mean you are trolling...

As for your original reply, if you are serious it's against both core values (don't be a dick and remember your audience) and piracy (which covers all illegal or malicious activity towards a company. If you were trolling or sarcastic, there's rule about trolling.

I genuinely wasn't trolling. I read them now I saw them at the top just when I joined years ago I didn't see them so just went on an assumption. I don't see my reply as being a dick to someone as this is a genuine suggestion that can be done if all else fails. If this is not allowed then I would update the community standards with it as currently piracy is just about software there and not about hardware. Maybe a don't lie about warranty section? As this is just a you say it's broken and that is it no further information. Fair enough it can be seen as abuse of warranty so maybe add something in there as currently if you read the standards you aren't discouraged about doing this.

I've recommended minimum info with warranties before many times so my apologies for that. I've also seen a fair few other people do so too so it is a surprise to me that this is indeed not allowed.

7 minutes ago, jaslion said:

I don't see my reply as being a dick to someone as this is a genuine suggestion that can be done if all else fails. If this is not allowed then I would update the community standards with it as currently piracy is just about software there and not about hardware. Maybe a don't lie about warranty section?

You are being a dick towards companies involved (retailer and manufacturer), you are also suggesting fellow member to commit minor fraud, which is illegal (lying about how damage occurred). Such can be compared to insurance fraud and import fraud.

The CS used to have line about forums operating under US and Canadian laws. Would it really help if it was put back there? Imo thats kinda obvious since piracy is against the law (copyright violations), and so everything else where you break the law or purposefully deceive someone should also already fall under it.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

The CS used to have line about forums operating under US and Canadian laws. Would it really help if it was put back there?

That would be helpful yeah. But would that completely go against the hackintosh part I read in there as that is actual piracy as the osx license comes with the hardware and getting osx without a apple device that natively supports it is pirating is it not?

1 minute ago, jaslion said:

That would be helpful yeah. But would that completely go against the hackintosh part I read in there as that is actual piracy as the osx license comes with the hardware and getting osx without a apple device that natively supports it is pirating is it not?

This is going off topic, but we don't allow distribution (asking or offering) any copyrighted software without official means. Hackingtosh discussion is allowed IF member already has image by themselves. Rest is just configuration and hardware compatibility.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

18 minutes ago, LogicalDrm said:

This is going off topic, but we don't allow distribution (asking or offering) any copyrighted software without official means. Hackingtosh discussion is allowed IF member already has image by themselves. Rest is just configuration and hardware compatibility.

Just a question about it but either way adding that line would help as that gives a decent scope of "oh ok this might not be allowed" instead of "it's not specifically mentioned anywhere so might as well".

As this is just a you say it's broken and that is it no further information. Fair enough it can be seen as abuse of warranty so maybe add something in there as currently if you read the standards you aren't discouraged about doing this.

the thing is he did actually saw off a part of his motherboard, not slipped and knocked off some minor smd or something, that's where it kinda stops being a grey area.... I mean in this example he likely wouldn't even know for sure if he knocked off a smd... but cutting off stuff from a pcb and then say "it was like that already" is not only dumb, it's outright lying and could even have legal consequences and as such is not only a dick move but also simply bad advice, in my humble opinion! 

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity