Is CD Projekt Red finished?

Jackgamer91

CDPR Finished?   

39 members have voted

1. 1. Are they done?

• Yes, they are finished
    • No, they can come back

Can they recover from the disastrous Cyberpunk 2077 launch? Is the company finished? 

Core i7 2700K Oc'ed 4.4 Ghz, EVGA GTX 970 ACX 2.0 SC'ed, 16 GB DDR3 RAM, 240 GB Intel 730 SSD and 2 TB 7200 RPM HDD, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 blue LED fans, Windows 10 Preview 

Considering the amount of people who still bought the game and enjoy it despite the bugs (or even because of them) I highly doubt this release will be their end. 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I mean, EA is still in business

This isn't the first buggy game

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

12 minutes ago, Jackgamer91 said:

Can they recover from the disastrous Cyberpunk 2077 launch? Is the company finished? 

Not even close; they still have the license to produce more Witcher - games, they have the license with Netflix for more seasons of the Witcher TV - show, they still made a ton of money with Cyberpunk, even with the issues they had and I seem to recall something about a Cyberpunk - themed animation happening as well. This is all in addition to them running GOG, selling a ton of merchandise and so on.

No, not happening.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

LOL CDPR is just fine...

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

5 hours ago, Jackgamer91 said:

Any company can make a comeback with enough government bailouts funded by your tax dollars. ;) 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

I would love to sell 13 million games and have people call that disastrous. :D

Also, as bad as it might be (I wouldn't know, I am loving it and have had hardly any issues beyond minor graphics glitches, but I am on a Series X) it is still better than Skyrim was at launch. So there is that.

I don't think CDPR has anything to worry about.

2 hours ago, Warin said:

They have lot to worry about, their reputation took a massive blow with this show and it's going to take long time to repair that. Going out of business is not what they have to worry about though.

I honestly think you are overestimating the reputation hit. Especially if they keep releasing patches and improving the experience.  As I said, it is no worse than Skyrim was, and that is widely considered one of the best games in the last decade.   

I have quite the doubt about this ending them. When they released Witcher 3, it started off with a lot of bugs as well, but they fixed it up and it became a phenomenal game.

But with backlash this crazy, I'm sure they'll be extra careful testing and releasing their next game

13 hours ago, Warin said:

I honestly think you are overestimating the reputation hit. Especially if they keep releasing patches and improving the experience.  As I said, it is no worse than Skyrim was, and that is widely considered one of the best games in the last decade.   

Disagree. Skyrim didn't look like an N64 game loading LOD textures for 5-10 seconds for stuff five feet in front of you. CDPR has talented devs who will probably save this game but this is the most botched release I have ever seen for such a high profile game. They have already taken an enormous reputation hit considering before this release they were widely considered the one pro-gamer publisher out there so it's disappointing to see them pull a Ubisoft or EA. About the only person I can remember warning that they weren't very different was Jim Sterling. God I hope they clean house in their publishing division after this disasterso CDPR doesn't end up another Bioware.

13 hours ago, MesZa said:

I have quite the doubt about this ending them. When they released Witcher 3, it started off with a lot of bugs as well, but they fixed it up and it became a phenomenal game.

But with backlash this crazy, I'm sure they'll be extra careful testing and releasing their next game

Really hard to compare this release to Witcher 3. I played Witcher 3 at launch and my only real problem was the game crashing in the first five minutes as soon as I stepped on the balcony, which seemed to be a problem with Nvidia 900 series cards. If I remember right, I think Digital Foundry showed the game performed pretty decently on XBox One but had some nasty slowdown into the 20s in that bog on PS4, but never anything as absurd as this:

17 hours ago, Warin said:

I would love to sell 13 million games and have people call that disastrous. :D

Also, as bad as it might be (I wouldn't know, I am loving it and have had hardly any issues beyond minor graphics glitches, but I am on a Series X) it is still better than Skyrim was at launch. So there is that.

You're in an extreme minority of console players considering how hard the current gen consoles are to get ahold of without paying scalper prices. Everyone knows the game is pretty good on high-end hardware, but it's a total disaster on the $200 to $300 XBox One S and PS4 Slim consoles that sold like crazy last gen. If they would have just let people know the game wasn't ready yet for base consoles but it ran well enough on the mid gen refreshes and especially the new current gen consoles there wouldn't be such a backlash, but they hid it until everyone had picked up their pre-orders and opened the games. A game has to be such a disaster to actually get refunded, but cheaper than the inevitable class action lawsuit they'd have to settle if they didn't offer refunds.

One of my coworkers is playing on an original 2013 fat One. He turned all of the graphics down and has quite enjoyed the experience.

I agree that the game should have been pushed back again to try to smooth out the problems on the One/Ps4. But it wasn’t. I just don’t think that CDPR is going to really suffer that much from this. Perhaps it will serve as a cautionary tale about hyping something so much that it can never meet those expectations, both by the developer, but also by the gaming public. The one thing that Bethesda does really well is not talking seriously about games until a handful of months before they come out. That avoids both sides of the overhype machine.

I have a good friend who's playing this on an original PS4 and keeps texting me it's the "best game he's ever played"...

...I bet most people playing on a PS4 or XBox, wouldn't know what junk is if it slapped them in the face. 

Work Rigs - 2015 15" MBP | 2019 15" MBP | 2021 16" M1 Max MBP | Lenovo ThinkPad T490 |

AMD Ryzen 9 5900X  |  MSI B550 Gaming Plus  |  64GB G.SKILL 3200 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference RX 6800  |  WD Black SN750 1TB NVMe  |  Corsair RM750  |  Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  Dell S2721DGF  |

Fun Rig - AMD Ryzen 5 5600X  |  MSI B550 Tomahawk  |  32GB G.SKILL 3600 CL16 4x8GB |  AMD Reference 6800XT  | Creative Sound Blaster Z  |  WD Black SN850 500GB NVMe  |  WD Black SN750 2TB NVMe  |  WD Blue 1TB SATA SSD  |  Corsair RM850x  |  Corsair H100i RGB Pro XT  |  Corsair 4000D  |  LG 27GP850  |

the only disastrous part of the CyberPunk 2077 launch was specifically for the previous generation consoles... for both the new gen consoles and PC, although bugs and glitches occured, the game was infact completable... since launch (even accounting for all the refunds for previous gen consoles) CP2077 has been the most successful launch (sales wise) in 2020...

you can look back on previous game releases before CP2077 came out and you will see similar things have happened (GTA V on PS3 for Rockstar, in which Rockstar received so much flak and clamour from the player base but the game has since won multiple awards because of the sheer amount of patches that have been put out since launch) if CDPR follows that path, they should be fine...

a game is only a failure if you never patch it after launch (perfect example is Among Us which only exploded 2 years after release)

a game studio is only finished if they stop putting in the work for the games they've released

Finished? That depends on how we define finished - If you mean that they lost their piedestal position in the industry*, which they somehow got, then yes.

On the other hand, if you mean that they will go bankrupt, then no, not due to this - They have several other assets that generates money, and Cyberpunk still made a truckload of money despite of the state of the game and the refunds.

What will be interesting though, are if CDPR intends to fix the game and save some of the their former reputation, or if they will go the EA route, and begin on a new project.

*Which I truly believe wasn't completely deserved, due to their work ethics.

They aren't finished because once they fix CP2077, and release details of their next game, everything will be forgiven or forgotten. 

Yes, they will never financially recover.

One bad flop like that & everyone will know to never ever buy their games again.

They have only released two games so Cyberpunk 2077s failure could crush them

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

12 hours ago, fpo said:

Yes, they will never financially recover.

One bad flop like that & everyone will know to never ever buy their games again.

I thought the same about DICE after their abysmal Battlefield 4 launch, on console and principally pc, as it was a total mess and players were very angry. 

Fast forward a few years, and they fixed BF4, brought us Star Wars: Battlefront, and then continued to release (relatively) high quality iterations of the Battlefield series, and a sequel to Star Wars: Battlefront, and all was largely forgiven...at least until the loot box debacle surrounding Battlefront 2.

My point being, gamers have short memories and very little loyalty one way or the other.

This time next year Cyberpunk will be the game it should have been at launch - and everyone will forgive them and start praising their next project. 

22 minutes ago, Maury Sells Wigs said:

My point being, gamers have short memories 

Considering they reported 13 millions in sales, I doubt anything will happen. What will hurt them is their investors suing them after that major drop in stock price.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14