Overclocking GTX 1080 G1 Gaming is pushing +1500MHz on memory ok?

voiha

Hello, 

My question is as MSI OC Scanner thing does not support anything under Turing, I am unable to use it except I re-download old Drivers etc. etc. so I decided to just overclock the GPU myself.

After some tweaking and tests on 8X MSAA 1080P Furmark I was able to push from standard 51FPS to 56FPS with OC of +135MHz to GPU Clock and +1500 to Memory Clock.

I was pretty happy with the result, however, after reading online most people are claiming that they are just overclocking the Memory Clock to 450 to 550 on top and I have tripple that....When I lower the Memory Clock to 550 the FPS goes down to 51FPS so it renders it useless in this situation it would be better to not overclock it.

My questions are:

- Does this issue appears to be an 'issue' only as FurMark is not sufficient way to benchmark?
- Is +1500 Memory Clock fine?

Thank you in advance!

16 minutes ago, voiha said:

Hello, 

My question is as MSI OC Scanner thing does not support anything under Turing, I am unable to use it except I re-download old Drivers etc. etc. so I decided to just overclock the GPU myself.

After some tweaking and tests on 8X MSAA 1080P Furmark I was able to push from standard 51FPS to 56FPS with OC of +135MHz to GPU Clock and +1500 to Memory Clock.

I was pretty happy with the result, however, after reading online most people are claiming that they are just overclocking the Memory Clock to 450 to 550 on top and I have tripple that....When I lower the Memory Clock to 550 the FPS goes down to 51FPS so it renders it useless in this situation it would be better to not overclock it.

My questions are:

- Does this issue appears to be an 'issue' only as FurMark is not sufficient way to benchmark?
- Is +1500 Memory Clock fine?

Thank you in advance!

Yes it is likely that Furmark is just not stressing the memory enough, and it is more likely that the memory reading is an effective clock value, the actual value of 1500Mhz would be 750Mhz in that case and that sounds more reasonable.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

31 minutes ago, .Apex. said:

Yes it is likely that Furmark is just not stressing the memory enough, and it is more likely that the memory reading is an effective clock value, the actual value of 1500Mhz would be 750Mhz in that case and that sounds more reasonable.

GDDR = Double Data Rate

But these days GDDR5X and GDDR6 is Quad Pumped which means the effective clock is 8X higher, but some programs are multiplying the real value with 2X and 4X, it's kind of a mess

In case of the GTX 1080 the stock real value of the memory is 1250Mhz and the effective is 10,000Mhz

1 minute ago, .Apex. said:

GDDR = Double Data Rate

But these days GDDR5 and GDDR6 is Quad pumped which means the effective clock is 4X higher, but some programs are showing double of the real value instead of quadruple, and some show the real value or the quadruple of it, it's kind of a mess

It's certainly a mess, weird as people are showing only +450 memory on the same Extreme Gaming engine

Worst thing that could happen is while gaming the system/GPU may crash, correct?

4 minutes ago, voiha said:

It's certainly a mess, weird as people are showing only +450 memory on the same Extreme Gaming engine

Worst thing that could happen is while gaming the system/GPU may crash, correct?

Edited my previous post to fix a mistake, but yeah it's impossible to damage your card with overclocking because you have no ability to adjust the voltage, you will get crashes but the card will recover normally after as long as you don't set the overclock to apply on startup

1 minute ago, .Apex. said:

Edited my previous post to fix a mistake, but yeah it's impossible to damage your card with overclocking because you have no ability to adjust the voltage, you will get crashes but the card will recover normally after as long as you don't set the overclock to apply on startup

Thank you for the info, apreciate it!

1 minute ago, voiha said:

Thank you for the info, apreciate it!

You're welcome!

Here's a reference list to see why this disparity between programs is happening, some developers probably didn't bother updating their programs so they were showing the wrong value, they should show the Real Clock instead

Effective Clocks:

GDDR3 = 2X Real Clock

GDDR5 = 4X Real Clock

GDDR5X = 8X Real Clock

GDDR6 = 8X Real Clock

GDDR6X = 16X Real Clock

Yeah as others have said, Furmark isn't a stress test for memory. So don't get too excited unfortunately, it isn't an anomaly card. Load up a game and watch it crash instantly with +1500mhz. 

On 02/01/2021 at 11:58 PM, ShennyG said:

Yeah as others have said, Furmark isn't a stress test for memory. So don't get too excited unfortunately, it isn't an anomaly card. Load up a game and watch it crash instantly with +1500mhz. 

I have decided to not do that :D, I have just put it to +500 and called it a day. Temps are good, everything stable, I guess job is done