DELL 3020 planing and upgrading. Thoughts?

Albert F

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Blender, Low to High end games (Subnautica, WachDogs2, smaller indie titles) and Hitfilm Express (1080p 30FPS video editing)

The prebuild I am planing on buying already has an i5 4590 and 2x4GB RAM.

I am planing on getting a 600W PSU and a GTX780 3GB coupled with a WD Green SSD and later getting a 2x8GB ram kit for a total of 16 GB.

I want to know what are your thoughts on this and if you have anything to say or other alternatives.

It's my first time building a PC as I have been a laptop user for 3 years now and I want an upgrade from my current setup ( i3 5005u 8GB RAM GT920M 2GB DDR3) as it's starting to show it's age and it became a bit rough from all the times I have opened it.

Just now, Albert F said:

600W PSU

Which PSU were you planning on?

Just now, Albert F said:

GTX780

Unless you can get one for under 50 USD used I wouldn't bother. Consider an RX 570 or 580 instead.

1 minute ago, Albert F said:

WD Green SSD

Very meh SSD iirc.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

xx20 Dell Optiplex's do not use the standard 24 pin motherboard power connector and rather a 6 pin connector. You will need to source an adapter if you wish to use a non-Dell power supply. 

6 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

xx20 Dell Optiplex's do not use the standard 24 pin motherboard power connector and rather a 6 pin connector. You will need to source an adapter if you wish to use a non-Dell power supply. 

Good point, glad you brought this up.

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

6 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Which PSU were you planning on?

Unless you can get one for under 50 USD used I wouldn't bother. Consider an RX 570 or 580 instead.

Very meh SSD iirc.

on the PSU I am planing on getting a Thermaltake Smart SE2

where I live the 2 AMD mentioned cards are around the same price (rx570) or almost double (rx580) the price of the 780, and I can't really put up with AMD's incompatibility and drivers screw-ups, it's a loss I am willing to take and the SSD was free, extracte from my parents computer, it only has 3 days of use and I am only putting windows and programs on it and maybe even smaller games, I am going to get a 1TB WD Blue HHD for most games and big files(vidoes photos texture 3D models etc)

5 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Good point, glad you brought this up.

yup, and you will probably have a very hard time finding adapters (again probably, Aliexpress and Ebay are a life savers but you never know) so you will need to the be DIY creative and mod the cables to fit and and stuff

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, Albert F said:

on the PSU I am planing on getting a Thermaltake Smart SE2

where I live the 2 AMD mentioned cards are around the same price (rx570) or almost double (rx580) the price of the 780, and I can't really put up with AMD's incompatibility and drivers screw-ups, it's a loss I am willing to take and the SSD was free, extracte from my parents computer, it only has 3 days of use and I am only putting windows and programs on it and maybe even smaller games, I am going to get a 1TB WD Blue HHD for most games and big files(vidoes photos texture 3D models etc)

Fair enough with the GPU and SSD. That PSU isn't great, but I'm not really sure what kind of options you have where you live.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

13 minutes ago, bindydad123 said:

I already know that and I will get

Just now, GorujoCY said:

yup, and you will probably have a very hard time finding adapters (again probably, Aliexpress and Ebay are a life savers but you never know) so you will need to the be DIY creative and mod the cables to fit and and stuff

They are fairly common adapters, I'm sure OP could find some on eBay/Aliexpress. Even if he can't, they're super easy to make.

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

1 minute ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Fair enough with the GPU and SSD. That PSU isn't great, but I'm not really sure what kind of options you have where you live.

I sorted a catalog from the main pc parts provider from my country and from 62 600W PSUs only 2 are available. That and a SilentiumPC Vero M3. I chose the thermaltake because it's one of the brands that I have at least heard about, and it's modular

1 minute ago, Albert F said:

I sorted a catalog from the main pc parts provider from my country and from 62 600W PSUs only 2 are available. That and a SilentiumPC Vero M3. I chose the thermaltake because it's one of the brands that I have at least heard about, and it's modular

hmm, can't you browse on any amazon or any retailer that have more on the catalog (like idk, just get an EVGA BQ for example over Thermaltake in one of the online retailers that ship in your country), maybe that will do? and if you are still willing to get an xx20 optiplex, Find adapters around on ebay or AliExpress... You know the drill regarding that anyway.

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

also I don't think you need 600w psu if you are getting an entry level gpu like the rx 570 or 580

My PC

2 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

hmm, can't you browse on any amazon or any retailer that have more on the catalog (like idk, just get an EVGA BQ for example over Thermaltake in one of the online retailers that ship in your country), maybe that will do? and if you are still willing to get an xx20 optiplex, Find adapters around on ebay or AliExpress... You know the drill regarding that anyway.

I will try and check the stocks of shops around my city and see if they have anything better but maybe the stocks will come back when I get around to upgrading the PSU as right now I am on a very short budget and literally all used and new components PCs have shot up in price since the whole covid thing happened. And I already found an adapter for like 10$ on the ebay equivalent of my country

3 minutes ago, GorujoCY said:

also I don't think you need 600w psu if you are getting an entry level gpu like the rx 570 or 580

The PC will be put through quite some stress as I will not only occasionally game on it but also video edit and work in blender a lot. I want a good psu as the ssd is coming form a pc with a busted one and I don't want the same thing to happen to mine. So I won't be cheeping out to much here if not at all

3 minutes ago, Albert F said:

The PC will be put through quite some stress as I will not only occasionally game on it but also video edit and work in blender a lot. I want a good psu as the ssd is coming form a pc with a busted one and I don't want the same thing to happen to mine. So I won't be cheeping out to much here if not at all

ok you could go 600 watts no problem, but That's not the point because as much as stress will the gpu and cpu get, it will draw to it's maximum TDP 99.9% of the time so even let's say even if I get a 500W (recommended: 550W) PSU, i wouldn't worry about it at all...

My PC