Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

windows file transfer issues

i'm attempting to transfer everything on my old windows install so i can back it up and reinstall, but at the last part when moving the users folder, i keep getting these errors

image.png.f883b8e8266b0a0d2b68f701f94aaca5.png(for most of them)

image.png.9993e39ac1b4e0263a419d380b3ec706.png(for only this folder, as far as i've seen)

there may be more errors, but i don't have the time to skip through all the files, considering there are over 750,000 files with transfer errors. does anyone know a fix for these errors and/or how they were caused?

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

16gb 2666mhz ram (dual channel)

512gb sandisk sata boot ssd i salvaged from my broken laptop (lenovo doesn't seem to have great quality ideapad laptops)

480gb sata ssd that came with my system

2tb hdd

msi geforce rtx 2060 super

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

logitech g513 rgb keyboard

logitech m720 triathlon wireless mouse

logitech g935 wireless rgb headset

fifine k669b usb mic

some old samsung 1080p60hz monitor (upgrading it soon)

some cheap "rgb" mousepad i got for christmas

and the most important part, real rgb inside the case

The first screenshot simply seems to be a permission issue. Since the Xbox App is something installed by the Microsoft Store you can ignore that.

I'm not too sure what the second folder is meant for.

Maybe try running a disk check on both disks to be safe? If no errors are found, I'd simply tick "Do this for all current items" and skip all the errors it throws you. You might simply be trying to copy or move system files you don't have access to that you probably don't need to transfer over such as the Xbox App executable that could be reinstalled through the Microsoft Store or Microsoft's new Xbox App installer. Then check the contents of your folders and see if there is anything missing you think should have transferred over.

Use disk cloning utility like macrium reflect for backing up entire disk.

Or use linux live usb instead for copying specific files/folders. Windows can get in the way when copying protected files or files that are being used by the system.

5 hours ago, C2dan88 said:

Use disk cloning utility like macrium reflect for backing up entire disk.

Or use linux live usb instead for copying specific files/folders. Windows can get in the way when copying protected files or files that are being used by the system.

how does this work for moving from a disk to a folder?

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

512gb sandisk sata boot ssd i salvaged from my broken laptop (lenovo doesn't seem to have great quality ideapad laptops)

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

9 hours ago, linuxfur said:

The first screenshot simply seems to be a permission issue. Since the Xbox App is something installed by the Microsoft Store you can ignore that.

I'm not too sure what the second folder is meant for.

Maybe try running a disk check on both disks to be safe? If no errors are found, I'd simply tick "Do this for all current items" and skip all the errors it throws you. You might simply be trying to copy or move system files you don't have access to that you probably don't need to transfer over such as the Xbox App executable that could be reinstalled through the Microsoft Store or Microsoft's new Xbox App installer. Then check the contents of your folders and see if there is anything missing you think should have transferred over.

skipping all the files with errors just skips everything i was trying to move, and it seems like it's just the history.ie5 folder stopping me. the first one seemed to me like a shortcut error, so i deleted most of the shortcuts.

some chill gamer

setup:

core i7 9700f

2tb hdd

asrock b365m ib-r mobo

fifine k669b usb mic

33 minutes ago, OrangeTurtle said:

how does this work for moving from a disk to a folder?

If your backup drive is large enough and has free space for you to create a new partition you can use macrium reflect to clone the drive to new partition.

If you dont have that option or dont want to clone the entire drive.

The second option I suggested was to use a linux live usb to copy the files/folders you are trying to backup. The issue you are having is copying files which Windows is either using or is protecting when Windows is in use.

Any linux distro can be used as a live usb without having to install the os. Download iso, burn to usb (rufus), boot to usb.

Open file manager, navigate to windows drive and copy files where you want them without having Windows interfering.