Will I still be gaming on my GTX 980 in 2030?

Sarra

FTLOG, when are the 6800/6900 GPU's going to come back in stock? 馃槯 Or are we all going to be forced to buy from scalpers?

What happens if someone buys every card the scalpers are selling, and jacks the price up double, and resells them again? Imagine paying $4,000 for a mid-range GPU... You'd need a mortgage to build a new PC. 馃槯

Seriously, though, I'm considering buying a 5700XT as a stop-gap until the 6800XT is in stock. For games like Cyberpunk 2077, Sniper Elite 4, Kerbal Space Program, Far Cry 5/6, and whatever else is on my library, would a 5700XT be able to get me over 100 FPS at 1440p? The GTX 980 manages 35 FPS in Cyberpunk, and a really respectable 90 FPS in Sniper Elite 4, but... It's just all over the place in the other games I play. =\

"Don't fall down the hole!" ~James, 2022

"If you have a monitor, look at that monitor with your eyeballs." ~ Jake, 2022

for cyberpunk you won't get 60 fps at 1440p at the highest settings with a 5700 xt but it is a guarantee at 1080p

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

Just now, GorujoCY said:

for cyberpunk you won't get 60 fpa at 1440p at the highest settings with a 5700 xt but it is a guarantee at 1080p

Yeah, that's what I thought.

My only other question is, would a 5700XT be better, worse, or the same, compared to a Radeon Pro W5500 at video encoding and transcoding? That is the ultimate purpose for the card, after I get a 6800XT for gaming. I just don't want to spend $800 on a gaming GPU, then another $800 on a video encoding/transcode GPU, or I'd already have a Radeon Pro W5700

Radeon Pro Cards are old, I do not recommend them at all for video encoding and transcoding at this price.

The 5700 xt will do just fine in encoding and transcoding however that's up to the program to utilize it

Make sure to quote me if you want me to respond

Turn your Mobile VR or PSVR Headset into a working 6DoF SteamVR one guide/tutorial (below):

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My PC

10 hours ago, GorujoCY said:

Radeon Pro Cards are old, I do not recommend them at all for video encoding and transcoding at this price.

The 5700 xt will do just fine in encoding and transcoding however that's up to the program to utilize it

The Radeon Pro W5500 and W5700 are actually built on the same core, with the same GDDR6, as the 5700. They are 'old', but not that old. The problem is that the W5500 has half the memory bandwidth, and the GPU core is cut down by half (roughly) from a 5700, while the W5700 is a cut-down version of the 5700XT.

What isn't clear to me is how, or what, AMD did with the Pro cards, to make them worth twice as much for half the card, in order to make them worthwhile for engineering, rendering, and animation. The only thing I can think of, is that being a single slot blower style card, the W5500 can be stacked in a server that has lots of PCIE 16X (or 8X) slots, so you could put three or more in a single box, and in rendering, get a massive performance uplift over a single double, or triple, slot cooler card, like the 5700/XT.

At this point, I'm actually thinking that I will wait for a 6700 or even 6600 level GPU from AMD, and go with that instead.

Pro cards are mostly about certification, and occasionally some driver feature unlocks. Higher tier models can have more ram and things, but thats not the case for midrangey stuff.

But mostly, its a "we charge more because we can" situation.

As an example, if your a company using your Very Expensive engineering software, and discover some bug/glitch/issue, when you call up the vendor and tell them your running a non-approved GPU they may just wash their hands of it. The company ends up just paying more for the approved Pro model, becuase the extra few hundred dollars is simply small change in that world.

1 minute ago, Aragorn- said:

Pro cards are mostly about certification, and occasionally some driver feature unlocks. Higher tier models can have more ram and things, but thats not the case for midrangey stuff.

But mostly, its a "we charge more because we can" situation.

As an example, if your a company using your Very Expensive engineering software, and discover some bug/glitch/issue, when you call up the vendor and tell them your running a non-approved GPU they may just wash their hands of it. The company ends up just paying more for the approved Pro model, becuase the extra few hundred dollars is simply small change in that world.

Ah, gotcha.

So, essentially, unless I'm running it as a second card, the Radeon Pro isn't going to have anything that I would consider to be beneficial, as far as my workload is concerned.

This actually is a very helpful post, thank you. :D

Seriously though I just bought a 3070 vision OC for 759 eurons and that's honestly not so bad if you make yourself familiar with the fact the official msrp was never meant seriously and isn't much more than good old snake oil / switch and bait tactics, and which is also honestly about what I expected if you had asked me a year ago coming from the ridiculously priced 2xxx.聽

Tldr: yes, I think you will. :)

The direction tells you... the direction.聽

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition)聽

MSI Afterburner聽

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper聽

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer