New GPU for ThinkStation S10 type 6423-H1G

Go to solution Solved by Seyrren,

Actually its not just PSU that's the issue, the Lenovo ThinkStation S10 has very limited GPU support officially it only supports this cards:

- quadro NVS290

- quadro FX370

- quadro FX570

- quadro FX1700

- quadro FX4600

- tesla C870

The most powerful confirmed to be working GPU you can get for that PC is the Radeon 4870, i'm not sure if all models work but most of them should be fine. There's also a system that appears to have a 740 GT on it but i couldn't find any definitive confirmation if it does actually work as it should (only some passmark results). The HD5000 series not working on them is actually a known and established fact.

Hey Community

My Dad bought himself a Lenovo ThinkStation S10 Core 2 Quad 2.83GHz and it was a Nvidia Geforce GT 240, and would like to uprgade it. I tried my Nvidia Geforce GTX 1660 6GB, but the Computer beeped a bit and then proceeded to not display anything. I also tried a AMD Radeon HD5770, same results. (System service parts - ThinkStation S10 (type 6423, 6483, sadly no GPU's listed or i couldn't find the GPU section). <He wants to use his Workstation for editing, and his GPU is no weak and doesn't support a function required for the editor of his choice (soemthing with a C and 2, don't remember anymore). Anyways Id like to know if you, the Community, have some ideas on wich GPU's still would run in that Rig and wound be enough to run DaVinci Resolve for Full HD editing (1920 x 1080). Thank you in advance.

Elia Sigrist

Actually its not just PSU that's the issue, the Lenovo ThinkStation S10 has very limited GPU support officially it only supports this cards:

- quadro NVS290

- quadro FX370

- quadro FX570

- quadro FX1700

- quadro FX4600

- tesla C870

The most powerful confirmed to be working GPU you can get for that PC is the Radeon 4870, i'm not sure if all models work but most of them should be fine. There's also a system that appears to have a 740 GT on it but i couldn't find any definitive confirmation if it does actually work as it should (only some passmark results). The HD5000 series not working on them is actually a known and established fact.

46 minutes ago, Seyrren said:

If that is true and knowing Lenovo it might, you can look for a used socket 775 ATX motherboard and just swap it out to unlock all cards. You should be able to find them at fairly low prices these days. In terms of power, a 450 Watt unit would be enough. Check what they put in that system. Usually they were standard ATX as well, so replacing it fairly is easy.

On 12/31/2020 at 4:21 PM, Seyrren said:

Thanks for the Quick answer. My dad bought himself one of the listed Grapicscards, i think a Radeon 4870 (Sapphire HD 4870

Vapor-X 2GB). I hope the Motherboard supports a 2GB card, because most of the cards we found were 1GB. I'll update as soon as i have confirmation that it works, incase (not verry likely) somebody else has the same problem/question. Have a great day everyone, and stay safe.