Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What Happens When You Plug A PSU Into A Wall Without Any Other Components and Turn It On?

Hi,

I was just wondering what would happen if I did what the title says. The reason for this is I want to test my power supply. My PSU has an rgb fan, so that would be my way of telling if it is working or not. I do not no much about electricity or how every component works, so this question my sound stupid.

-Thanks

1 minute ago, Galaxy Runner said:

What Happens When You Plug A PSU Into A Wall Without Any Other Components and Turn It On?

Depending on the PSU, nothing, or it simply turns on. Some PSUs only agree to turn on if they detect a load connected to the 24-pin connector, others are happy to turn on without.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

6 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Depending on the PSU, nothing, or it simply turns on. Some PSUs only agree to turn on if they detect a load connected to the 24-pin connector, others are happy to turn on without.

All ATX power supplies will turn on when these pins are shorted:

PSU_Paper_Clip_Test_5.png?64993929612763

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439
4 minutes ago, Vishera said:

All ATX power supplies will turn on when these pins are shorted:

Nope. I have two that won't turn on unless there's a load, even if you did short those pins.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Just now, WereCatf said:

Nope. I have two that won't turn on unless there's a load, even if you did short those pins.

Maybe the design differs a bit from the ATX standard.

A PC Enthusiast since 2011
AMD Ryzen 5 2600@3.9GHz | GIGABYTE GTX 1660 GAMING OC @ Core 2085MHz Memory 5000MHz
Cinebench R15: 1382cb | Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme: 3439