3080 low clock speeds

Avcn42
Go to solution Solved by Avcn42,

So, weird conclusion: after my new parts arrived, it now boosts higher. Don't know why, I can't make sense out of it, maybe something was up with the pci e on my old board? Anyways, it's now boosting higher into the mid 1900s. Thanks for the help though! 

I just got a 3080 eagle OC by gigabyte, which has a 340W power limit bios. I'm fairly disappointed in the clock speeds I'm getting, and it seems like flashing it to a FE bios, or whatever other 370W bios, would be worthwhile. My only concern is, can the board take it? Afaik, there doesn't seem to be any issues with letting the gpu draw more until you hit a thermal barrier, and since there's a lot of thermal headroom on this one, it seems worth a shot. Can the power delivery sustain the increased limit without damage? Or should I just stick to stock and not risk it? 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know anything about this? My clocks seem pretty disappointing even comparing to other eagle models at stock. I considered trying to change the thermal paste since I've had weird, almost similar issues with my previous card where it didn't boost and reported lower temps, but when I disassembled it, the amount of thermal paste applied out of the box was awful, and it was resolved after reapplying. What I worry about is losing the warranty days after purchase. If it's not the case, is there any information on whether or not the power delivery on this particular board can handle a higher tdp? Any input is highly appreciated! 

PC: 5600x @ 4.85GHz // RTX 3080 Eagle OC // 16GB Trident Z Neo  // Corsair RM750X // MSI B550M Mortar Wi-Fi // Noctua NH-D15S // Cooler Master NR400 // Samsung 50QN90A // Logitech G305 // Corsair K65 // Corsair Virtuoso //

Does anyone at least know where can I go to obtain this information? 

You mention experiencing low clock speeds, how low are we talking?

Your specific card is rated at 1‎755 MHz (Reference Card is 1710 MHz).

Might I suggest running a stress test such as MSI Kombustor whilst using GPU-Z's sensor tab to look at reported power draw as well as the listed "perfcapreason". 

44 minutes ago, Pi_ said:

You mention experiencing low clock speeds, how low are we talking?

Your specific card is rated at 1‎755 MHz (Reference Card is 1710 MHz).

Might I suggest running a stress test such as MSI Kombustor whilst using GPU-Z's sensor tab to look at reported power draw as well as the listed "perfcapreason". 

It's technically performing within spec in the mid 1800s. Steve from GN, however, who tested the same card, deemed it disappointing, and his unit was running at mid to high 1900s. When I run it on less demanding games, the clocks go up as expected and it's stable, which leads me to believe that simply allowing a higher power draw would yield better results. Question is, can this specific boards power delivery system handle a higher sustained limit? If so, then it seems worthwhile trying to find a compatible vbios. As for the test you suggested,  I'm waiting for a 5600x to arrive and don't have any other setup available. 

13 minutes ago, Andrevcn said:

It's technically performing within spec in the mid 1800s. Steve from GN, however, who tested the same card, deemed it disappointing, and his unit was running at mid to high 1900s. When I run it on less demanding games, the clocks go up as expected and it's stable, which leads me to believe that simply allowing a higher power draw would yield better results. Question is, can this specific boards power delivery system handle a higher sustained limit? If so, then it seems worthwhile trying to find a compatible vbios. As for the test you suggested,  I'm waiting for a 5600x to arrive and don't have any other setup available. 

If the card boosts to about 1850MHz then there doesn't seem to be any issue with it. You simply lost the silicon lottery and that's about it, nothing much that can be done. If you wanted a top performing 3080, perhaps you would have been better off getting a FTW Ultra or a Strix card.  Furthermore, considering that this is a 3080, meaning a new card with warranty I do not recommend changing the thermal paste and or even worse attempting to flash the card. Do remember that power limits are there for a reason, especially for reference board cards. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

17 minutes ago, Analog said:

If the card boosts to about 1850MHz then there doesn't seem to be any issue with it. You simply lost the silicon lottery and that's about it, nothing much that can be done. If you wanted a top performing 3080, perhaps you would have been better off getting a FTW Ultra or a Strix card.  Furthermore, considering that this is a 3080, meaning a new card with warranty I do not recommend changing the thermal paste and or even worse attempting to flash the card. Do remember that power limits are there for a reason, especially for reference board cards. 

Sure, I'm aware. Still, you know how the market is. It was the only model available. I suspect changing the thermal paste wouldn't do anything in this case, but I could try it since there's no warranty sticker or anything on top of the screws. I do agree with the higher risk when it comes to flashing the bios. All I'd like to explore is the possibility of pushing it a bit further, IF the board can take it. It basically all comes down to that. If the definitive answer is no, then I'm fine with getting 3 less frames lol. 

3 hours ago, Andrevcn said:

Sure, I'm aware. Still, you know how the market is. It was the only model available. I suspect changing the thermal paste wouldn't do anything in this case, but I could try it since there's no warranty sticker or anything on top of the screws. I do agree with the higher risk when it comes to flashing the bios. All I'd like to explore is the possibility of pushing it a bit further, IF the board can take it. It basically all comes down to that. If the definitive answer is no, then I'm fine with getting 3 less frames lol. 

My 3080 also isn't a particularly good overclocker. Well, actually it does clock fine, the problem is the cooler isn't capable of keeping up with the clocks and voltage. Again, like you, my choice was constrained by what was available at the time. However, I was able to push the clocks a bit further (maybe 70-80MHz on the core) by following this guide: https://www.overclockersclub.com/guides/nvidia_rtx_3080_oc_guide/ Perhaps you could give it a go and se if it will work out for you.  

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 - 3900x @ 4.4GHz with a Custom Loop | MBO: ASUS Crosshair VI Extreme | RAM: 4x4GB Apacer 2666MHz overclocked to 3933MHz with OCZ Reaper HPC Heatsinks | GPU: PowerColor Red Devil 6900XT | SSDs: Intel 660P 512GB SSD and Intel 660P 1TB SSD | HDD: 2x WD Black 6TB and Seagate Backup Plus 8TB External Drive | PSU: Corsair RM1000i | Case: Cooler Master C700P Black Edition | Build Log: here

My FE does 1850 MHz at stock. Max power limit with max fan speed is 1965 MHz. So it's not just you with lowish clocks

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

4 minutes ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

My FE does 1850 MHz at stock. Max power limit with max fan speed is 1965 MHz. So it's not just you with lowish clocks

The problem is that this particular board doesn't allow increasing the power limit out of the box. It simply ignores any extra clocks applied, and can only scale up to 1950 ish in lighter loads. So yours does achieve better results. 

Just now, Andrevcn said:

So yours does achieve better results. 

1965 MHz was a max, can you run port royal? If so that would give me a better idea of where our cards are.

You could flash BIOS, but I personally wouldn't

Current System: Ryzen 7 3700X, Noctua NH L12 Ghost S1 Edition, 32GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz, MAG B550i Gaming Edge, 1TB WD SN550 NVME, SF750, RTX 3080 Founders Edition, Louqe Ghost S1

1 minute ago, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

1965 MHz was a max, can you run port royal? If so that would give me a better idea of where our cards are.

You could flash BIOS, but I personally wouldn't

I could once the rest of my parts arrive, I sold my previous cpu, motherboard and ram, the new ones should get here this week. But with what I tested it oscillates between 1830 to 1890 on heavy loads. Yeah, as I've previously said, I wanted to try out a compatible vbios, but I really want to make sure it can handle it before risking losing the card for 3 extra frames xD

1 minute ago, Andrevcn said:

But with what I tested it oscillates between 1830 to 1890 on heavy loads.

This at stock with regular fan curve? That's more than my FE lol, mine does 1830-1860 when using Port Royal at stock

well you can probably put another bios on it, however it's risky and you might fry the card, up to you I guess (or you could have bought a better model like the igame vulcan 🤷🏼

The direction tells you... the direction

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

Corsair Link (Anime Edition) 

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

Just now, Hymenopus_Coronatus said:

This at stock with regular fan curve? That's more than my FE lol, mine does 1830-1860 when using Port Royal at stock

Max fans, since it doesn't bother me much. Remember, I can't change anything other than memory clocks, that's what's bothering me lol

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

well you can probably put another bios on it, however it's risky and you might fry the card, up to you I guess (or you could have bought a better model like the igame vulcan 🤷🏼

As said, I would've happily invested a bit more for, say, a strix one. But the current market being what it is, I got lucky and got a decent price in my country for this one, and it was pretty much the only one available. 

Just now, Andrevcn said:

Max fans, since it doesn't bother me much. Remember, I can't change anything other than memory clocks, that's what's bothering me lol

That's fine then. I wouldn't say it's worth flashing VBIOS, your performance is within 1-2% of anything else probably

1 minute ago, Andrevcn said:

As said, I would've happily invested a bit more for, say, a strix one. But the current market being what it is, I got lucky and got a decent price in my country for this one, and it was pretty much the only one available. 

I see, yeah, I know how it is. 

I got carried away too, I was dead set on the vulcan but since it's only available on Ali express I simply forgot about it when checking out other models... tho I did my research the Vision OC, while a strange concept seem pretty good cards with a hefty overclock at default, with some headroom.... however, the vulcan is so much nicer, it even has a freaking LCD screen!  Damnit... lol 

Just look at the thing! 

20201214_053432.jpg.b7878ffcb1fb0ae70932cc0ca37da915.jpg

20201214_053444.jpg.654da278a21f31399ef6d1a78b6e874e.jpg

AND THIS IS WHAT I GOT 

2406952-n0.jpg.4dc21da188b4a7e5010d8035b591c636.jpg

Not bad, but no LCD screen or anything... 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

@Mark KainexD

I mean, the vision does look pretty cool to me. The eagle so far disappoints a bit, but it's not the end of the world. Honestly, it specially bothers me since I transitioned from a strix 1080 Ti, and that card is legendary and overclocks really well. Going from the "best" to a "merely acceptable" one leaves a bitter taste. 

8 minutes ago, Andrevcn said:

@Mark KainexD

I mean, the vision does look pretty cool to me. The eagle so far disappoints a bit, but it's not the end of the world. Honestly, it specially bothers me since I transitioned from a strix 1080 Ti, and that card is legendary and overclocks really well. Going from the "best" to a "merely acceptable" one leaves a bitter taste. 

haha, yeah I like the vision, just like I said I really wanted the vulcan, so this is just like the second best thing :D Might even be better, I have a good feeling with this one, runs super cool, is silent, boosts pretty high by itself etc 🤷🏼

And yes I understand that... tbh I wouldn't have done it, I'm sure the eagle is "good" just compared to others it's not great, with little headroom for overclocking. 

Can't you return the card? In EU you have 2 weeks, otherwise if you bought at Amazon might be even more.... otherwise yeah, it is what it is, still the second (or so) strongest card in existence currently! : P

-Scott Manley, 2021

Softwares used:

MSI Afterburner 

OpenRGB

Lively Wallpaper 

OBS Studio

Shutter Encoder

Avidemux

FSResizer

Audacity 

VLC

WMP

GIMP

HWiNFO64

Paint

3D Paint

GitHub Desktop 

Superposition 

Prime95

Aida64

GPUZ

CPUZ

Generic Logviewer

1 minute ago, Mark Kaine said:

haha, yeah I like the vision, just like I said I really wanted the vulcan, so this is just like the second best thing :D

And yes I understand that... tbh I wouldn't have done it, I'm sure the eagle isa "good" just compared to others it's not great, with little headroom for overclocking. 

Can't you return the card? In EU you have 2 weeks, otherwise if you bought at Amazon might be even more.... otherwise yeah, it is what it is, still the second (or so) strongest card in existence currently! : P

I could join the dark side and sell it for more than I bought, and I have no doubt it would sell fast lol. But I went through the trouble and it's still a 3080, so... Yeah, I'll probably keep it. 

So, weird conclusion: after my new parts arrived, it now boosts higher. Don't know why, I can't make sense out of it, maybe something was up with the pci e on my old board? Anyways, it's now boosting higher into the mid 1900s. Thanks for the help though!