Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Mining Farm with 78 GeForce RTX 3080s Spotted: Capable of Generating $128,088 Per Year

A mining farm has been spotted in the US with as many as 78 PNY GeForce RTX 3080 graphics cards. In a world where it’s hard to find even a single gaming graphics card, this miner managed to buy almost a hundred of them: Nearly one hundred of NVIDIA’s almost fastest GPUs for a single person, and not even for gaming. 

EqUjiP9XMAAi01X1.thumb.jpg.b5e5b298e7ec1ad5a89e262372f2917e.jpg

This mining farm was built by Simon Byrne in Las Vegas for a total of approximately $100K, pegging the price of an individual card at around $1,199. In terms of power draw, you’re looking at 23.4 kW of power with each card chugging around 300W.

According to estimates by TechARP, Bryne pays $2,166 a month for electricity using this system (8.43 per kWh) including the added AC costs for cooling it. One RTX 3080 has a hash rate of around 83MH/s using the Ethash algorithm, which should generate around 0.22236870 ETH or $165 each month. The entire system (78 cards) should generate a total of around 17.3 ETH or $12,840 per month. Deducting the electricity costs, he gets a monthly profit of approximately $10,674, or $128,088 per year.

Source 1: https://www.hardwaretimes.com/mining-farm-with-78-pny-geforce-rtx-3080s-spotted-capable-of-gen-128088-per-year/  

Source 2: https://www.tweaktown.com/news/76979/this-78-geforce-rtx-3080-crypto-mining-rig-makes-128-000-per-year/index.html

This is quite the exceptional operation; not just the annual accumulation of 128-thousand dollars per year, but the fact that the person was even able to snag 78 RTX 3080s to make it happen (that is in itself more impressive than the actual mining farm, to be honest). The question though, is how many of these are in the wild that have not been discovered or disclosed? Makes you wonder why stock or supply issues have been so apparent. This is only one mining farm we know of utilizing Ampere cards, imagine all the ones that possibly exist that we don't know about...

Spoiler
Spoiler

Where I was Mentioned                                     Mentioned on 9/30/20      in  TechLinked @ (1:54)

Mentioned on 10/7/20      in  TechLinked @ (1:59)

Mentioned on 10/16/20    in  TechLinked @ (4:06) 

Mentioned on 10/21/20    in  TechLinked @ (1:22)

Mentioned on 12/30/20    in  TechLinked @ (:14)

Mentioned on 12/30/20    in  TechLinked @ (2:17) 

Currently Playing: Guild Wars 2

🌒 🌕 🌲             

Death - cube:

CPUDelidded  Intel Core i7-3770k @ 4.4GHz Motherboard: ASRock Z68 Extreme7 Gen3 GPU: EVGA NVIDIA GTX 980 TiGM200-310-A1 (K|NGP|N ACX 2.0+ 6GB) Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 16GB @ 2000MHz @ 9-11-9-11 SSD: Crucial M500 240GB (OS/Programs) HDD1: WD 1TB Blue (Games/Storage/Media) HDD2: WD Caviar Black 7.2K 500GB (Backup) HDD3: WD Caviar Blue 7.2K 400GB (Backup) HDD4: WD Elements 4TB External (Backup/Additional Storage)  CPU Cooling: Lamptron FC-FC2-B Fan Controller / Corsair Hydro Series H100i GTX in [Pull Config] (x2 Noctua NF F12 industrialPPC-2000 120mm) Case Fan(s): Delta FFB1212EH (x1 120mm x 25mm) /  Noctua NF A20 (x1 200mm) PSU: Seasonic X-Series X-1050 1050W Case: Cooler Master (HAF XB EVO Cube) Monitor: Samsung (C27F396) Curved 27-Inch Freesync Monitor (@ 1080p @ 71.911Hz) Keyboard: Cooler Master Storm Trigger-Z (Cherry MX Brown Switches) Mouse: Roccat Kone XTD Mouse Mat: Corsair MM350 Premium Audio: Logitech Z533 2.1 Speaker System w/Subwoofer Headset & DAC/AMP: Corsair VØID Stereo Gaming Headset (w/ Schiit Fulla 1) OS: Windows 10 Pro   

Eye øf Bea:

CPU: Intel Core i9-10850k @ 5.2GHz Motherboard: Titan Computers: X4K Video Card:  NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Super ~ TU104-450-A1 (8GB GDDR6) Memory32GB DDR4 (2x16GB) @ 2666MHz NVMe: Samsung 980 Pro 2TB (OS/Programs/Apps/SoftwareSDD: Samsung 4TB 870 EVO (Games/Media/Pics/VidsExternal HDD: WD Elements 4TB External (Additional Storage/Backups) Screen/Panel: 17.3" 3840 x 2160 (4K w/ G-Sync) Mouse: Roccat Kone Pure Ultra (ROC-11-730 PinkMouse Mat: Corsair MM350 Keyboard: Roccat Vulcan 122 AIMO RGB (Artic White ~ Brown SwitchesHeadphones & AMP/DAC: Focal Utopia Hi-Fi O-B C-A Headphones (w/ Focal Arche Audiophile AMP & DAC) AudioCreative Labs Gigaworks T20 Series II 2.0 Multimedia Speaker System w/ BasXPort Technology  Operating System: Windows 10 Professional for Workstation

3 minutes ago, BiG StroOnZ said:

Las Vegas

Ill be back guys. Anyways someone did some math and it would take him about 10 months to make profit. (assuming the crypto market stays the same, which it doesnt)

Chicago Bears fan, Bear Down

1 hour ago, Gamer Schnitzel said:

The cryptocurrency market has to die. From a logical and rational point of view it makes no sense whatsoever to convert electricity into an online currency. It literally has zero purpose. No I don't care that it helps you dodge taxations or that you are able to make an income from this. Electricity usage is already high enough in the world, we don't need morons running graphics cards day and night for nothing more than just money making reasons. I doubt Americans are able to understand my argument or care too much about environmental consequences but I can definitely see the EU stepping in one day and regulating this because it literally defies logic from a humanity perspective.

This gets me too.
It adds precisely nothing to the world, and costs a whole helluva lot.
So bizarre. 

"The wheel?" "No thanks, I'll walk, its more natural" - thus was the beginning of the doom of the Human race.
Cheese monger.

If only we could game on 78 way SLI.

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

Legion y520 | i5 7300hq | 1050 4gb (Manual OC) | 16gb 2400Mhz cl18 | 256 GB SSD | 2tb HDD

Server:

Xeon E3 1245 | 16gb ECC ram | 256 GB SSD | 2*2tb HDD

The gaming market has to die. From a logical and rational point of view it makes no sense whatsoever to convert electricity into an entertainment.

FTFY

Time to go skip rocks or something

but I can definitely see the EU stepping in one day and regulating this because it literally defies logic from a humanity perspective

1) you won't want government to control what you're doing with your electricity, just like you don't want them to control how you use your internet

2) guess I'm not human because I mine lol

Just because you don't understand it or agree with it it doesn't make it wrong

I'm not about to enter another 20 page debate with someone over this, last time it killed me on the inside about how stubborn people can be about what's wrong or right, instead of accepting that it's not necessary for everyone's view to align

Wishing ill on someone isn't a nice thing to do, and death threats are stupid, even if it's not a living being

I bought three 3060ti from retails, just like anyone else would

My PCs: Desky | Beddie | Miney | Benchie

Things I need help with: (nothing at the moment)

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Xperia Z3, XiaoMi 5c, Radeon GPUs, Razer Audio Products, any bloatwares

Companies I absolutely adore: (and hope it stays that way)

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Corsair - very good RMA experience, absolutely recommend

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Nvidia, Intel, Apple, TMT (Thundermatch, a retailer)

Personal Blacklisted Companies:

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

XiaoMi Phones: built like a tank but the software is buggy as all hell

Seagate HDD: had too many dead seagate drives

Kingston SSD: 300V controller swap thingy

Razer (except their mouse)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

1 minute ago, leadeater said:

With RTX On or Off?

It's not like you can notice a difference between ray tracing and screen space reflections lmao

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | ASUS Strix X570-E | G.Skill 32GB 3733MHz CL16 | PALIT RTX 3080 10GB GamingPro | Samsung 850 Pro 2TB | Seagate Barracuda 8TB | Sound Blaster AE-9 MUSES Edition | Altec Lansing MX5021 Nichicon/MUSES Edition

Just now, RejZoR said:

It's not like you can notice a difference between ray tracing and screen space reflections lmao

I don't know about that, think you might just notice a rock to the face 🙃

I do find it amusing though the best feature about the RTX 30 series is the raster performance uplift, reading between the lines Nvidia knows that game development isn't ready for it yet so put less weighting in to it this time than in Turing.

5 minutes ago, leadeater said:

With RTX On or Off?

RTX on of course, humans can't see past 24 MH/s anyways

Spoiler

none atm

I hate Intel's pricing, Ryzen's weird quirks, Nvidia's pricing, and Radeon GPUs in general

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Sony Xperia Z1 / Z2 / 10 ii, Asus Strix 970 / 1070, Samsung SSD, WD HDD, Corsair PSUs (AX, RM, CX(grey)), GeForce GPU, NZXT N450/S340, be quiet! Coolers, G.Skill Trident RAM, Logitech M525, Logitech G440, Razer Deathadder Elite

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

be quiet! - sent me AM4 mounting for my DRP3 even though it's way past the timeframe stated, no questions asked

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Acer: shit tier quality products, shit tier customer service thus far, they "tried" to solve my issue but they arent really doing anything but delaying and delaying. (on-going case since July)

Gigabyte: horrible customer service (gigabyte had literally 0 customer service, asked me to go to retailer with NO WAY to email them about a question) but at least they fixed my shit in ONE MONTH (would probably take me 1 hour to fix if they let me email them)

Remember, just because I had good/bad experiences with these companies/product, doesn't mean you will have similar experiences too. I would still recommend these products if they made sense for your needs, but I'll add a disclaimer of my experience if it's relevant. Feel free to DM me asking why they are where they are.

2 minutes ago, Moonzy said:

FTFY

Time to go skip rocks or something

1) you won't want government to control what you're doing with your electricity, just like you don't want them to control how you use your internet

2) guess I'm not human because I mine lol

Just because you don't understand it or agree with it it doesn't make it wrong

I'm not about to enter another 20 page debate with someone over this, last time it killed me on the inside about how stubborn people can be about what's wrong or right, instead of accepting that it's not necessary for everyone's view to align

Wishing ill on someone isn't a nice thing to do, and death threats are stupid, even if it's not a living being

Just answer this one question: Where does the value become created in a cryptocurrency system? 

The only explanation I ever got that was close to sensical, was that "mining" is performing the calculations to complete transactions with that particular cryptocurrency. Economics says that currency has to have a tangible element backing it if not value itself, like a gold or silver coin. Even in a modern fiat money system where there's a disproportionately-low backing for each unit of currency in circulation, there is a tangible item back there or a globally-recognized standard value. Cryptocurrencies have none of that, only an acceptance that an hour of machine time could produce $0.000035 or $14,000 worth of profit, depending on when you ran your calculation and how long you held onto it: Meaning it doesn't pass muster for actual currency.

My Current Setup:

AMD Ryzen 2700X 50th Anniversary

Corsair Vengence LPX 3200mhz 16GB

MSI B450 Gaming Plus

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo

PNY GTX 1060 6GB

ADATA SU800 1TB

WD 5400RPM 2TB

EVGA G3 750W

RAIDMAX Monster II

beQuiet PureWings 3 140mm x5

7 minutes ago, atxcyclist said:

Just answer this one question: Where does the value become created in a cryptocurrency system? 

The only explanation I ever got that was close to sensical, was that "mining" is performing the calculations to complete transactions with that particular cryptocurrency. Economics says that currency has to have a tangible element backing it if not value itself, like a gold or silver coin. Even in a modern fiat money system where there's a disproportionately-low backing for each unit of currency in circulation, there is a tangible item back there or a globally-recognized standard value. Cryptocurrencies have none of that, only an acceptance that an hour of machine time could produce $0.000035 or $14,000 worth of profit, depending on when you ran your calculation and how long you held onto it: Meaning it doesn't pass muster for actual currency.

No idea, not an economist, so I won't act like one

But the fact that I can sell my bitcoin and buy new hardwares to play with and fund my computer's own upgrade is good enough for me, regardless whether crypto is backed by gold or not

I can use it for goods and services, albeit not directly in most cases

Spoiler

none atm

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 hour ago, atxcyclist said:

Pretty much this, i still cant get why governments did not outright banned it...

Wow that's fucking insane; not gonna lie this almost makes me want to invest into crypto-mining myself.

I understand due to the economy of scaling that you'd need a number of GPUs to start with in order to be profitable though.

4 minutes ago, Poison4K said:

Wow that's fucking insane; not gonna lie this almost makes me want to invest into crypto-mining myself.

I understand due to the economy of scaling that you'd need a number of GPUs to start with in order to be profitable though.

Thats the "issue" tho if you have that much money for hundreds... of gpus... there are much better ways to make more money than to invest in a nonsense eco system and literally waste energy for no reason... 

It just makes no sense (and should indeed be illegal because by wasting so much energy you make the world worse for everyone living on it, and usually that's exactly why we have laws to forbid this kind of ego trips) 

✪Ryzen 3600✪RTX3070✪B350✪

✪Trident Z 3600 16-16-16-36✪

✪Noctua U12S Chromax✪

3 minutes ago, Mark Kaine said:

Thats the "issue" tho if you have that much money for hundreds... of gpus... there are much better ways to make more money than to invest in a nonsense eco system and literally waste energy for no reason... 

It just makes no sense (and should indeed be illegal because by wasting so much energy you make the world worse for everyone living on it, and usually that's exactly why we have laws to forbid this kind of ego trips) 

Yeah i would definitely agree.

Even though this is essentially an almost 12% return each month.
it'd be better/safer to invest into real estate; i think the possibility of GPU (or hardware, in general) failure would kill this for me.

5 minutes ago, Poison4K said:

no not really

it depends on your expectations

even a 4 gpu rig like mine is still "profiting" as in i still earn more than electricity cost

even a 1 gpu rig can "profit" if your electricity is cheap and your gpu is of the latest gen (so 3000 series or 6000 series)

if u factor in hardware cost, that's a bit complicated because profits decay over time due to difficulty rise, but if you already have a gaming pc, i don't see why not do mining to offset some of the hardware cost, even if it's not covering the entire cost, it'll at least cover partial cost, which is better than nothing

but of course... you need to know what you're doing, i spent 3 years doing it as a hobby and i learnt a lot of things, and many more to learn

Spoiler

none atm

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Moonzy said:

no not really

it depends on your expectations

even a 4 gpu rig like mine is still "profiting" as in i still earn more than electricity cost

even a 1 gpu rig can "profit" if your electricity is cheap and your gpu is of the latest gen (so 3000 series or 6000 series)

if u factor in hardware cost, that's a bit complicated because profits decay over time due to difficulty rise, but if you already have a gaming pc, i don't see why not do mining to offset some of the hardware cost, even if it's not covering the entire cost, it'll at least cover partial cost, which is better than nothing

but of course... you need to know what you're doing, i spent 3 years doing it as a hobby and i learnt a lot of things, and many more to learn

Well that's what i mean is that, outside the GPU, there is an initial investment into the other PC components and i'm not sure when that cost would be offset exactly.
I don't know very much about crypto-mining and the profitability though so.

Ahhhh crypto, keeping prying eyes away creates such value.  Also how I will become a millionaire.  :)  

Current in process build: Project Odyssey - Build Logs - Linus Tech Tips

Workstation Laptop: Dell Precision 7540, Xeon E-2276M, 32gb DDR4, Quadro T2000 GPU, 4k display

Ryzen Rig 3: ASRock B450m Pro4, Ryzen 5 3600, ARESGAME River 5 CPU cooler in push/pull, EVGA RTX 2060 KO, 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz TeamGroup T-Force RAM, ARESGAME AGV750w PSU, 1tb WD Black SN750 NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 3tb Hitachi 7200 RPM HDD, Fractal Design Focus G Mini custom painted.  Lenovo 27" 1080p 60hz placeholder monitor, generic mouse, generic keyboard.  Still a work in progress

NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2060 video card benchmark result - AMD Ryzen 5 3600,ASRock B450M Pro4 (3dmark.com)

Ryzen Rig 2: ASrock B450 Pro4, Ryzen 7 1700 @ 4.2ghz all core 1.4vCore, AMD R9 Fury X w/ Swiftech KOMODO waterblock, Custom Loop 2x240mm + 1x120mm radiators in push/pull 16gb (2x8) 3600mhz V-Color Skywalker (or 4x8gb DDR4 2666mhz for large tasks), Corsair HX850 PSU, 250gb Samsun 960 EVO NVMe Win 10 boot drive, 500gb Samsung 840 EVO SSD, 512GB TeamGroup MP30 M.2 SATA III SSD, SuperTalent 512gb SATA III SSD, CoolerMaster HAF XM Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Viotek GN24C 24" 1080p 144hz curved and Hannspree HF207 as 2nd monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37004594?

Ryzen Rig 1: ASUS B350-PRIME ATX, Ryzen 7 1700, Sapphire R9 Fury Tri-X Nitro 4gb HBM, 16gb (2x8) 3200mhz V-Color Skywalker, ANTEC Earthwatts 750w PSU, MasterLiquid Lite 120 AIO cooler in Push/Pull config as rear exhaust, 250gb Samsung 850 Evo SSD, Patriot Burst 240gb SSD, Cougar MX330-X Case.  Zalman K600S keyboard, Zalman ZM-GM1 mouse, Acer XF270HU 2560x1440 144hz IPS monitor

https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/37628874?

Dell OptiPlex 3040 MFF: Dell 0MGK50 A02, i3-6100T, 2x4gb DDR3 1600, Team Group 120gb SSD, 500gb Seagate 7mm HDD attached storage, Windows 10 Pro, Logitech K400+, USB Wifi adapter all vesa mounted to the back of a 37" 1080p TV 

Linux Box: Toshiba Laptop, i7 620M, NVS graphics, 4gb ram tinker toy at the moment.  Running Manjaro XFCE at the moment.

Home Security: ZOSI 8 channel CCTV (4 used at this time, 1080p) DVR H.265+, 3tb HGST Enterprise HDD, ASUS monitor for display

6 minutes ago, Poison4K said:

i think the possibility of GPU (or hardware, in general) failure would kill this for me.

it's a common misconception that most miners abuse their hardware

just think about it, we're more scared than you are about our hardware breaking since it's our money on the line

so we make sure nothing overheats and gets adequate airflow, we undervolt our cards to get the best efficiency, so there's also less chip degredation (if u google crypto mining calculators, you'll see power rating for the listed GPUs are much lower than actual power of the card because of undervolting)

of course there will be exceptions, just as there's always dumb people in whatever community there is.

7 minutes ago, Poison4K said:

i'm not sure when that cost would be offset exactly.

yea i cant really give u an answer because it's a very volatile market, it's an investment and there's always the risk of never getting your ROI back

Spoiler

none atm

Spoiler

Products I like:

Spoiler

Products I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

Companies I hate:

Spoiler

Spoiler

So this is where all of my reference PCB 3080's went, lol. Had to buy a reference water block for my 2080 Ti and settle without HDMI 2.1 support to finish a build. Hopefully used 3080's will start popping up for a reasonable price when these people decide to upgrade.

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

6 hours ago, atxcyclist said:

Even in a modern fiat money system where there's a disproportionately-low backing for each unit of currency in circulation, there is a tangible item back there or a globally-recognized standard value.

It varies from country to country, a lot of countries have nothing tangible backing their money, it's value is entirely arbitrary, and largely determined by exchange rates, which themselves are often determined by complex economic factors, including but not limited to overall value of the economy, the import to export ratio, perceived returns value of investment in said country, averaged across all sectors. But its important to note that said factors do influence, but do not, impose any hard constraints on the value of the currency. It's also worth pointing out that the bulk of the money in the world exists purely as an electronic record in a computer. he US has a total of approximately 4.75 trillion USD in various private bank account,s but only 1.4 trillion actual currency.

Now weather crypto is a good idea or not is seperate from this IMO. But arguing on the basis that crypto has no intrinsic value isn't a very good argument because the same can be said of a lot of things.

Well this explains a lot about card pricing and shows that such video cards really are worth more than $1,200 a piece.  I don’t know if cards or undervalued or electricity is being sold cheaply in LasVegas or not. There are some costs that aren’t being taken into account in the article.  Space and housing for the farm, internet costs, the rest of the computing system, etc..  it’s really unlikely they eat into that margin all that much though.

What is confusing me though, is if the card manufacturer could make this kind of money, why are they selling the cards?  Like at all?  Don’t sell them, keep them.  Given this info, as long as that kind of money can be made with the cards they will NEVER come on to the market for less than $1,200

Edited by Bombastinator

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.