Tips for packing a pc for a trip

izz

Going on a road trip in a couple of days. What some tips for packing my pc. Do I turn off the PSU? Remove all USB connections? Will stuffing it with bubble wrap and surrounding it with bubble wrap do? What’s the safest way to do this? I paid a pretty price for this pc and would be heartbroken if it were to break.

phone out of service?

give us a call.

Just now, iIzzTheWiz said:

Going on a road trip in a couple of days. What some tips for packing my pc. Do I turn off the PSU? Remove all USB connections? Will stuffing it with bubble wrap and surrounding it with bubble wrap do? What’s the safest way to do this? I paid a pretty price for this pc and would be heartbroken if it were to break.

If I were to move my PC, I'd:

- Remove the videocard (as I have the original packaging for it)

- Remove the cooler

(Both for the same reason, because they are heavy items)

- Unplug everything from the back and front

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

Removing my video card and cooler is really not an option unfortunately. It will also be facing upwards, not lying on its side. Is there any serious danger to doing this, or will my pc be fine as long as it’s packed securely?

phone out of service?

give us a call.

Just now, lieder1987 said:

You could just enjoy the road trip as your computer will be there when you get back...

We’re going to be staying in Florida for two months. Otherwise absolutely.

phone out of service?

give us a call.

as there is no photo of rig not much to tel. but just check all screws if there no lose parts and just fill internals with paper buble wrap or something too keep all parts lightly suported but not on preasure. as i understood you taking pc with you not giving to courrier so shoud be fine if you careful. defineli disconect all external cables and wrap tighly. removing gpu and cooler is adviced because most curriers dont care that they delivering potato bags or your new pc treatment same

9 hours ago, iIzzTheWiz said:

Removing my video card and cooler is really not an option unfortunately. It will also be facing upwards, not lying on its side. Is there any serious danger to doing this, or will my pc be fine as long as it’s packed securely?

Which GPU do you have? because if its a heavy one it could rip the PCIE slot out of the motherboard (I speak from experience, don't ask)

I will recommend an NHu12s (or an NHd15 (maybe)) for your PC build. Quote or @ me @Prodigy_Smit for me to see your replies.

PSU Teir List | Howdy! A Windows Hello Alternative 

Desktop :

i7 8700 | Quadro P4000 8GB |  64gb 2933Mhz cl18 | 500 GB Samsung 960 Pro | 1tb SSD Samsung 850 evo

Laptop :

ASUS G14 | R9 5900hs | RTX 3060 | 16GB 3200Mhz | 1 TB SSD

9 hours ago, lieder1987 said:

You could just enjoy the road trip as your computer will be there when you get back...

Pfft, life is not worth living without a PC and Internet!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I would just spend money on some games for my tablet. I would grab Apple Arcade and leave my PC where it is.

Even Stadia and a controller is an option these days if you have a tablet.

i5 8600 - RX580 - Fractal Nano S - 1080p 144Hz

what i do (later today when moving it) is that i put my bed sheets and my pillow around the computer and i lay it down so if i hit a hole in the road and the car gets a jolt, then the gpu and cpu cooler won't be dropping downwards if you know what i mean.

and i do the same with my monitors, place them in the trunk so they don't have room to slide, and face down on a blanket with anything sharp/pointy moved OUT of the trunk.

And then ofc i don't try to race big BMW in a small kia at stoplights 

Anything i've written between the * and * is not meant to be taken seriously.

keep in mind that helping with problems is hard if you aren't specific and detailed.

i'm also not a professional, (yet) so make sure to personally verify important information as i could be wrong.

4 hours ago, NineEyeRon said:

I would just spend money on some games for my tablet. I would grab Apple Arcade and leave my PC where it is.

Even Stadia and a controller is an option these days if you have a tablet.

4 hours ago, akio123008 said:

Don't you just have a laptop or something small you can take instead?

As a response to all the "alternative" comments, no, I do not have any alternative, and I'm going away for 2 months. I need my pc.

phone out of service?

give us a call.

4 hours ago, Prodigy_Smit said:

Which GPU do you have? because if its a heavy one it could rip the PCIE slot out of the motherboard (I speak from experience, don't ask)

I have a MSI GTX 1660 Ti Ventus OC 6GB. It's not a crazy graphics card like a ROG Strix, and I would even go so far as to say it's pretty small and light. As a side note, I'm going to be completely packing the PC with paper and bubble wrap so nothing can really move around. It's not going to be thrown around It's going to be secure in a car for the whole trip :)

phone out of service?

give us a call.

Lay it on its back, motherboard down, GPU up, it will be fine if you pack it in so it doesn't slide around.

Intel i9-13900K - Gigabyte Aorus Z790 Elite DDR4 - Corsair Vengeance LPX 128GB DDR4 3200 C16 - Gigabyte Aorus Master RTX 4090 24GB - Corsair 4000D Airflow - 2x Samsung 980 Pro 1TB  - Corsair AX1600i 80 PLUS Titanium 1600W - Aorus FI27Q - Noctua NH-D15 running 3 fans (CPU) - 6 x NF-A12x25 (3 intake, 3 exhaust) - Aorus K1 - Aorus M5 - Aorus AMP500 - Aorus H5 - Corsair TC70 - Win 11 Pro

29 minutes ago, A1200 said:

Lay it on its back, motherboard down, GPU up, it will be fine if you pack it in so it doesn't slide around.

not gonna be able to lay it on its back due to packing space issues but i will pack it with packing material to make up for that :)

we've already decided how we're going to pack it so unless there's some crazy tip that will make it 100% safer using household material i dont really need any tips :)

phone out of service?

give us a call.