Final review of parts

Mr.Thom

Budget (including currency): 2000 EUR - 2250 EUR (including peripherals), so for the pc around 1600 EUR

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: Primarily programming (I will probably need to simulate large batches of objects) and web browsing, but I would also like to have the possibility to pick up gaming

Other details (existing parts lists, whether any peripherals are needed, what you're upgrading from, when you're going to buy, what resolution and refresh rate you want to play at, etc): 

Hi there,

Thanks for checking out this topic and hopefully you can help me out with finding the right parts for my first pc build. Although this is my first build I want it to be good and I'm willing to spend some bucks on it. I really want to understand well what to do, so it will be year before I start buying and building. Choosing the parts has been quite a learning journey so far and I would like a final review of these parts. I got the following questions already:

• Are all components compatible? (I'm quite sure they are, but just to check if I haven't missed anything)
  • Is a 750Watt PSU too much? 
  • Is the stock CPU cooler good enough?
  • Any good GPU suggestions for around 400 EUR?

And of course I will be happy to hear your feedback on the other parts

Existing part list:

Currently priced in NL:

Casing: Lian Li Lancool II Zwart Midi Tower                                      99,95 EUR

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor                                    471,00 EUR 

CPU Cooler: Wraith PRISM (stock cooler)                                  Included with CPU

Motherboard: MSI MPG B550 GAMING EDGE WIFI                      189,00 EUR

Memory: Kingston DDR4 HyperX FURY 2x16GB 3200                   144,90 EUR

SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD                                           130,90 EUR

HDD: Seagate HDD NAS 3.5" 4TB ST4000VN008 Ironwolf             104,90 EUR

PSU: Corsair RM750x PSU / PC 80 Plus Gold                                 125,90 EUR

GPU: !!UNSURE!! NVIDIA RTX 3060ti                                       Currently not available (but prices estimated around 400 EUR, if i can rely on my used sources)

Total:                                                                                               1.666,55 EUR

Peripherals:

(I did find some peripherals, but these are completely unsure. I'm open for new suggestions)

Mouse: Logitech-G Mouse G305                                                       49,00 EUR

Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB                                                54,90 EUR

Headphone: HyperX Cloud Stinger Core                                           51,95 EUR

Two monitors:  (I could use some advise here, should                   400,00 EUR

I go for two the same good monitors or one extra good

and one fine monitor? I'm expecting an combined budget of 

approximately 400 EUR)                                                      

Two example scenario's:

Scenario 1:  144hz or higher, quad hd or higher and 32" +

60hz, full HD and 24"

Scenario 2:  2x   120hz, full HD or higher and 27"                           

Total:                                                                                                  555,85 EUR

Grand total:                                                                                     2.222,40 EUR

Thanks in advance!

Greetings,

Thom

6 minutes ago, Mr.Thom said:
  • Are all components compatible? (I'm quite sure they are, but just to check if I haven't missed anything)
  • Is a 750Watt PSU too much? 
  • Is the stock CPU cooler good enough?
  • Any good GPU suggestions for around 400 EUR?
  1. Yes, all of those should be fully compatible.
  2. 750W are too much depending on what you're doing, If you want a 3080, 750W are between too little to just enough, for a 1650 they are too much, if you want a 3070, 750W is what's generally recommended(nvidia recommends 650W, but from the reviews I've seen, it has power spikes that make it better to give it the 100W breathing room to be fully utilized)
  3. Nope, once you go ryzen 9, you don't want to use the stock cooler for anything other than test-booting and maybe starting to download whatever you need, it gets HOT under load, stock is not enough.
  4. Right now? can't really say, I'd recommend the 3060ti, but it's sold out everywhere and where it isn't they sell it WAY over the 400 euro MSRP, it'd be up to you to find it at a decent prize, I've heard that stock/prices should stabilize around the end of January/February, but right now it's difficult. Even older GPUs are overpriced right now due to shortages and scalpers.

18 minutes ago, Mr.Thom said:

Processor: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X processor 

if your going to wait for the 3060 ti then I would also recommend waiting for a 5000 series alternative CPU.

1 minute ago, somer4ndo said:
  2. 750W are too much depending on what you're doing, If you want a 3080, 750W are between too little to just enough, for a 1650 they are too much, if you want a 3070, 750W is what's generally recommended(nvidia recommends 650W, but from the reviews I've seen, it has power spikes that make it better to give it the 100W breathing room to be fully utilized)
  3. Nope, once you go ryzen 9, you don't want to use the stock cooler for anything other than test-booting and maybe starting to download whatever you need, it gets HOT under load, stock is not enough.
  4. Right now? can't really say, I'd recommend the 3060ti, but it's sold out everywhere and where it isn't they sell it WAY over the 400 euro MSRP, it'd be up to you to find it at a decent prize, I've heard that stock/prices should stabilize around the end of January/February, but right now it's difficult. Even older GPUs are overpriced right now due to shortages and scalpers.

4. I would wait to see if there are any RTX 3060 Tis that are at 400 MSRP.

I just bought one for 500 but I paid the extra because of the cooler and the high boost clock.

If your budget is strictly 400 then just wait a bit

System

CPU: Ryzen 5 3600

Case: Phanteks eclipse P400A

Motherboard: MSI B550 Gaming Carbon WiFi

GPU: MSI RTX 3060 TI Gaming X Trio

RAM: 16GB XPG D60G CL16 3200MHZ

PSU: Sharkoon SilentStorm Cool Zero 650W

Storage: Crucial P2 1TB

Thanks for the feedback guys!

5 minutes ago, somer4ndo said:

Thanks, this helps me a lot! Any recommendations for a good and reasonably priced cooler?

4 minutes ago, Tom_nerd said:

if your going to wait for the 3060 ti then I would also recommend waiting for a 5000 series alternative CPU.

Thanks for the suggestion!

2 minutes ago, TheJedi said:

4. I would wait to see if there are any RTX 3060 Tis that are at 400 MSRP.

I just bought one for 500 but I paid the extra because of the cooler and the high boost clock.

If your budget is strictly 400 then just wait a bit

Yes I will wait a few months before I start buying any parts

13 minutes ago, Mr.Thom said:

Any recommendations for a good and reasonably priced cooler?

If you want to go air cooling, I've heard very good things about the Noctua Nh-D15, though I'm not too experienced in that area. Here's a tier list of the best coolers
 based on reviews+performance