Blinking white line in windows installer

mitchell2380

I own a rack mounted server for home use and I wanted to install windows 10 so I removed all of the drives and put in the USB. The boot order is set to boot to it but once it gets to the USB it just flashes the windows logo and goes to a blank screen with a flashing white line kinda like a Unix command line

So how do I get the installer to work?

1 minute ago, mitchell2380 said:

I own a rack mounted server for home use and I wanted to install windows 10 so I removed all of the drives and put in the USB. The boot order is set to boot to it but once it gets to the USB it just flashes the windows logo and goes to a blank screen with a flashing white line kinda like a Unix command line

So how do I get the installer to work?

What did you use to make the installer?

What server is it?

Does the motherboard support UEFI booting? 

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"
i7-9750H - 16GB DDR4 - GTX 1660Ti - 480GB SSD M.2 - 1TB 2.5" BX500 SSD 

VM + NAS Server (ProxMox 6.3)

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

1 minute ago, BrinkGG said:

What did you use to make the installer?

What server is it?

Does the motherboard support UEFI booting? 

I used my desk top to make the USB installer. The server is a HP pro lant DL 365G5

i am not sure but the last time I used a DVD and it worked fine

27 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

I used my desk top to make the USB installer. The server is a HP pro lant DL 365G5

Make sure if you have EUFI bios you use CPT GPT and if its regular old style BIOS that you use MBR to make the USB-stick, they are not interchangeable.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

7 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

I meant what program, windows MCT or an iso and a 3rd party tool?

Also doesn't the proliant have an ILO or similar IPMI interface that you can install the host OS from?

Fine you want the PSU tier list? Have the PSU tier list: https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1116640-psu-tier-list-40-rev-103/

Stille (Desktop)

Ryzen 9 3900XT@4.5Ghz - Cryorig H7 Ultimate - 16GB Vengeance LPX 3000Mhz- MSI RTX 3080 Ti Ventus 3x OC - SanDisk Plus 480GB - Crucial MX500 500GB - Intel 660P 1TB SSD - (2x) WD Red 2TB - EVGA G3 650w - Corsair 760T

Evoo Gaming 15"

1x Xeon E5-2690 v2  - 92GB ECC DDR3 - Quadro 4000 - Dell H310 HBA (Flashed with IT firmware) -500GB Crucial MX500 (Proxmox Host) Kingston 128GB SSD (FreeNAS dev/ID passthrough) - 8x4TB Toshiba N300 HDD

Toys: Ender 3 Pro, Oculus Rift CV1, Oculus Quest 2, about half a dozen raspberry Pis (2b to 4), Arduino Uno, Arduino Mega, Arduino nano (x3), Arduino nano pro, Atomic Pi. 

6 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

I meant what program, windows MCT or an iso and a 3rd party tool?

Also doesn't the proliant have an ILO or similar IPMI interface that you can install the host OS from?

MCT and I want the server to be offline so I have to install local 

5 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

Ok then use Rufus to make your bootable stick and make sure you set it to MBR when making it. Should boot then i guess.

You can select the type in the red box in the screenshot below.

Screenshot_90.png

If this wont work use the other option!

17 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Make sure if you have EUFI bios you use CPT and if its regular old style BIOS that you use MBR to make the USB-stick, they are not interchangeable.

What’s cpt?

5 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

So I would try an iso and a image writing tool like Balena etcher or Rufus and writing the disk in GPT mode. (use DD mode, not image mode. It'll prompt you for this when you start the clone.) 

Also, why do you want a server - something designed to SERVE data to other computers - offline, not connected to anything? 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

6 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

What’s cpt?

My apologies i meant GPT as in the screenshot. :)

4 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

So I would try an iso and a image writing tool like Balena etcher or Rufus and writing the disk in GPT mode. (use DD mode, not image mode. It'll prompt you for this when you start the clone.) 

Also, why do you want a server - something designed to SERVE data to other computers - offline, not connected to anything? 

I use it to store family photos and back ups of my Minecraft server along with it just being a hobby project as I am into the server stuff

Just now, mitchell2380 said:

I use it to store family photos and back ups of my Minecraft server along with it just being a hobby project as I am into the server stuff

Sooo.... What's the plan for transferring data to it then? Sneakernet? 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

13 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

Sooo.... What's the plan for transferring data to it then? Sneakernet? 

I use local network through remote access so I can only contact it at home. The server is off at all times unless I need to access the files

34 minutes ago, BrinkGG said:

I set it to GPT and this happened 

1FD1A404-7D27-4E82-95C2-FEB834125FBC.jpeg

1 minute ago, mitchell2380 said:

I use local network through remote access so I can only contact it at home. The server is off at all times unless I need to access the files

Then use IPMI. You can manage the server via a webpage with it's local IP address, if your motherboard has IPMI

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

6 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

Again, servers are meant to have the OS installed via IPMI. for HP, it's called HP iLO. Your BIOS settings should have options to set a management port and enable iLO (integrated lights out), then you can log into the IP of that device via a program or (usually) a webpage. From there you can manage the server much easier. 

Stille (Desktop)

Evoo Gaming 15"

49 minutes ago, mitchell2380 said:

-pic snip-

Kinda describing what i said. Retry and use MBR in Rufus. ;)

But it seems that Server is UEFI capable, check the BIOS if the settings are set up correctly or revert to optimized defaults if possible.

Personaly i would use UEFI if possible.

16 hours ago, mitchell2380 said:

So update GPT and MBR both don’t work I used Rufus 

Then you most likely need to setup the BIOS correctly to support either or do what ppl said before on howto install...?