Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is my SSD faulty?

Go to solution Solved by Cy-Fy,

Hi,

 

just wanted to write how I managed to fix this issue in case it's any help to anyone.

 

It turns out the problem was caused by having a network drive from my university mapped in my pc which I used to access using my university's VPN. After I unmapped the drive all the problems seemed to go away.

Hi,

 

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop from 2017. I don't actually believe the SSD is faulty (at least I hope it isn't) but for the past few months I've been having issues that have been getting worse when doing anything to do with the File Explorer. For example, creating a new folder crashes the laptop, renaming folders/files also crashes the laptop, copying/pasting and deleting files kind of works but the pop up window gets stuck on 99%, thumbnails don't load half the time. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the SSD but I suspect it is since it happens any time I do anything to do with moving files etc.

 

Is there anything I can do to check for any issues? or could this be a software related issue in Windows?

 

Thanks!

Acer 5749 Laptop: Core i3 2330M - Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 4gb RAM

Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't think that's an SSD issue but you can try running a smart test on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

 

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

 

🏳️‍🌈

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi,

 

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop from 2017. I don't actually believe the SSD is faulty (at least I hope it isn't) but for the past few months I've been having issues that have been getting worse when doing anything to do with the File Explorer. For example, creating a new folder crashes the laptop, renaming folders/files also crashes the laptop, copying/pasting and deleting files kind of works but the pop up window gets stuck on 99%, thumbnails don't load half the time. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the SSD but I suspect it is since it happens any time I do anything to do with moving files etc.

 

Is there anything I can do to check for any issues? or could this be a software related issue in Windows?

 

Thanks!

Maybe it's getting slow. Do you have a lot of background applications running? Check task manager.

 

Run things such as Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

 

Turn off any start up applications you don't recognize.

Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't think that's an SSD issue but you can try running a smart test on it.

 

8 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Maybe it's getting slow. Do you have a lot of background applications running? Check task manager.

 

Run things such as Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

 

Turn off any start up applications you don't recognize.

 

Hi thanks for your replies.

 

I have made sure I don't have anything else running in the background and the startup apps are pretty minimal. Also sometimes putting the computer to sleep and waking up again fixes it/ messes it up depending on how it was before.

 

Is there anything that can be checked without having to download additional apps?

Acer 5749 Laptop: Core i3 2330M - Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 4gb RAM

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

 

 

Hi thanks for your replies.

 

I have made sure I don't have anything else running in the background and the startup apps are pretty minimal. Also sometimes putting the computer to sleep and waking up again fixes it/ messes it up depending on how it was before.

 

Is there anything that can be checked without having to download additional apps?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Download these two and run them. If you have your own *paid* antivirus then you can skip the second one just do the first.

Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi,

 

just wanted to write how I managed to fix this issue in case it's any help to anyone.

 

It turns out the problem was caused by having a network drive from my university mapped in my pc which I used to access using my university's VPN. After I unmapped the drive all the problems seemed to go away.

Acer 5749 Laptop: Core i3 2330M - Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 4gb RAM

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×