Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is my SSD faulty?

Go to solution Solved by Cy-Fy,

Hi,

just wanted to write how I managed to fix this issue in case it's any help to anyone.

It turns out the problem was caused by having a network drive from my university mapped in my pc which I used to access using my university's VPN. After I unmapped the drive all the problems seemed to go away.

Hi,

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop from 2017. I don't actually believe the SSD is faulty (at least I hope it isn't) but for the past few months I've been having issues that have been getting worse when doing anything to do with the File Explorer. For example, creating a new folder crashes the laptop, renaming folders/files also crashes the laptop, copying/pasting and deleting files kind of works but the pop up window gets stuck on 99%, thumbnails don't load half the time. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the SSD but I suspect it is since it happens any time I do anything to do with moving files etc.

Is there anything I can do to check for any issues? or could this be a software related issue in Windows?

Thanks!

Acer 5749 Laptop: Core i3 2330M - Intel HD Graphics 3000 - 4gb RAM

I don't think that's an SSD issue but you can try running a smart test on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Xeon X5650 OC'd to 4.2GHz @ 1.35V (courtesy of @XR6)Motherboard: Asus Sabertooth X58 RAM: 6x4GB G.Skill Ripjaws X GPU: Asus RX 570 Strix Storage: 512GB Samsung 850 Pro and 1TB WD Blue PSU: EVGA 600B Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: H100i V2, be quiet! Pure Wings 2 (two intake, two exhausting through radiator) Monitor: 3x Dell P2210 on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: It changes, but usually Focus FK-9000 Mousepad: Steelseries QcK XL Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and MEE M6 Pro

"If you don't measure things, it's not engineering; it's art." - Jack Ganssle

🏳️‍🌈

5 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi,

I'm using a Dell XPS 15 9560 laptop from 2017. I don't actually believe the SSD is faulty (at least I hope it isn't) but for the past few months I've been having issues that have been getting worse when doing anything to do with the File Explorer. For example, creating a new folder crashes the laptop, renaming folders/files also crashes the laptop, copying/pasting and deleting files kind of works but the pop up window gets stuck on 99%, thumbnails don't load half the time. I'm not sure if this is an issue with the SSD but I suspect it is since it happens any time I do anything to do with moving files etc.

Is there anything I can do to check for any issues? or could this be a software related issue in Windows?

Thanks!

Maybe it's getting slow. Do you have a lot of background applications running? Check task manager.

Run things such as Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

Turn off any start up applications you don't recognize.

13 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

I don't think that's an SSD issue but you can try running a smart test on it.

8 minutes ago, The Torrent said:

Maybe it's getting slow. Do you have a lot of background applications running? Check task manager.

Run things such as Malwarebytes and AdwCleaner.

Turn off any start up applications you don't recognize.

Hi thanks for your replies.

I have made sure I don't have anything else running in the background and the startup apps are pretty minimal. Also sometimes putting the computer to sleep and waking up again fixes it/ messes it up depending on how it was before.

Is there anything that can be checked without having to download additional apps?

21 minutes ago, Cy-Fy said:

Hi thanks for your replies.

I have made sure I don't have anything else running in the background and the startup apps are pretty minimal. Also sometimes putting the computer to sleep and waking up again fixes it/ messes it up depending on how it was before.

Is there anything that can be checked without having to download additional apps?

https://www.malwarebytes.com/adwcleaner/

https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Download these two and run them. If you have your own *paid* antivirus then you can skip the second one just do the first.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

just wanted to write how I managed to fix this issue in case it's any help to anyone.

It turns out the problem was caused by having a network drive from my university mapped in my pc which I used to access using my university's VPN. After I unmapped the drive all the problems seemed to go away.