Is it ok to plug a monitor directly to the wall outlet?

Aeonsyll927

Hello

I am currently on a dual monitor setup. I have a BENQ XL2411P Monitor (144hz) and a SamsungSync Master 233HD (70Hz), the latter of which lasts quite a long time (7-8 years or so). I live in an area where typhoons hit us seasonally (hence power outages) so, directly plugging in my PC's PSU cable to the wall outlet is not an option for me to be considered at all. However I am unsure of what is the case for monitors - can they generally withstand voltage fluctuations as well as a television would when directly connected to the wall socket? or are they also considered sensitive electronics such that they need voltage stabilization as extra insurance? 

Googling has found little results. I just want to determine the answer for safe practices. Otherwise, I would be plugging the monitor to a UPS instead which has voltage regulation. 

14 minutes ago, Aeonsyll927 said:

can they generally withstand voltage fluctuations as well as a television would when directly connected to the wall socket? or are they also considered sensitive electronics such that they need voltage stabilization as extra insurance?

If these voltage-fluctuations are drops in voltage, sure. If, however, they are voltage-spikes, then yes, you'll need to protect the displays as well.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

In terms of damage they're all the same. 

Of course with the PC you have the additional issue of the risk of data loss / corruption in case of a crash/reboot.

F@H
Desktop: i9-13900K, ASUS Z790-E, 64GB DDR5-6000 CL36, RTX3080, 2TB MP600 Pro XT, 2TB SX8200Pro, 2x16TB Ironwolf RAID0, Corsair HX1200, Antec Vortex 360 AIO, Thermaltake Versa H25 TG, Samsung 4K curved 49" TV, 23" secondary, Mountain Everest Max

Mobile SFF rig: i9-9900K, Noctua NH-L9i, Asrock Z390 Phantom ITX-AC, 32GB, GTX1070, 2x1TB SX8200Pro RAID0, 2x5TB 2.5" HDD RAID0, Athena 500W Flex (Noctua fan), Custom 4.7l 3D printed case

Asus Zenbook UM325UA, Ryzen 7 5700u, 16GB, 1TB, OLED

GPD Win 2

I think they are both drops and spikes. When the electricity is out and then comes back rushing in (Correct me if I'm wrong, i'm no electrician). 

I'm currently running 2 UPS's anyhow (I know its overkill but I will explain why and furthermore, as to why I am asking this question of plugging in monitors to wall outlets).

My PSU is a 875W Thermaltake Toughpower XT 80 Plus Bronze PSU. It's over 6-7 years old now and It hasn't failed yet (I know i'm gonna have to replace it soon but this covid crisis is making it hard). My CPU is an Intel i5-4460 and GPU is Nvidia GTX 1060. No overclocking done whatsoever and I am only using a CPU Fan heatsink. My UPS is i Logic Blazer 1200 which can handle 700W. I am pretty sure I'm below 700W of usage (around 400-500W) so I'm neither going above the wattage limit of my UPS nor my PSU. 

Back then I was only running one UPS - it was an APC VA 1400 which can handle 700W. I had plugged in my PSU and my 2 monitors to there. The UPS lasted for around 2 years until suddenly it did a beep tone. I looked at the manual ~ constant beep tone means replace UPS battery, so I stopped using the UPS and sent it in for battery replacement and testing. 

Now my 2nd UPS is an I Logic Blazer 1200, I plugged it in the same way as I had done with my 1st UPS ( I had plugged in my PSU and my 2 monitors to there) which I only replaced around just 3-4 weeks ago. I noticed the abnormal rate at which it was making this clicking noise (Clicking sound 10-15 times a day). Googling further I found out it means that it had something to do with voltage regulation (UPS is swapping to battery and to mains electricity). I'm fairly certain that If I kept at it this way, this UPS would fail sooner than expected. I decided to do one last trick - split the load of the UPS.

Now my current setup is 2x UPS. I got a new APC VA 1400 UPS (which can handle 700W) and I am using my other I Logic Blazer 1200 (which can handle 700W). This time however I plugged it differently

Wall Outlet -> I Logic Blazer 1200 UPS -> BENQ XL2411P Monitor (144 Hz)

Wall Outlet -> APC 1400 VA UPS -> PSU and the Samsung Monitor

The clicking sound was actually greatly reduced (0-2 times a day), and I was able to isolate the problem. The UPS clicking (it sometimes does but only 0-2 times a day now) can be heard from the I Logic Blazer 1200 UPS. Now I know that the problem had something to do with my load, and not some voltage fluctuation problem in my house (I had already tried changing wall sockets, tried changing different rooms but same result). If I can only plug my BENQ Monitor to the wall outlet without worry, I wouldn't be running 2 UPS's as of right now, but sadly it seems I have to.