Chirping Noise from PSU, Should I stop using the computer?

CommanderAlex

Yesterday, I noticed a noise coming from my PSU, an EVGA P2 850W that I purchased back in October of 2016. Every so often, I will hear this chirping noise coming from the power supply and should I discontinue using the computer with this power supply? I don't want this to be a sign that its failing and could possibly take out other components in my rig. I contacted EVGA today about the issue but their RMA team won't be available until Jan 4, 2021 and their CS team will be tomorrow (Been in touch with them regarding the issue, but you CAN'T upload a video that is requested of the sound due to their system not accepting MP4 attachments AND only less than 2MB per attachment).

I will attach a video down below if you guys want to hear it. You might hear the coil whine from my GPU but I can confirm that the chirping noise is coming from the power supply. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

Main System Specifications: 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

So long it's not an arching sound or burning it should be mostly fine.

Think it would be fine, might be that it has some beatings under it's belt and if you begin to experience something else while the system is running then should consider changing. Also what rating is your PSU, bronze or gold?

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

So long it's not an arching sound or burning it should be mostly fine.

Think it would be fine, might be that it has some beatings under it's belt and if you begin to experience something else while the system is running then should consider changing. Also what rating is your PSU, bronze or gold?

Thanks, for responding!

Yeah I'm not really sure what is going on as its just 4 years old. It does have a 10 year warranty through EVGA. 

Its 80+ rating is platinum, just above gold but below titanium. 

CPU Cooler Tier List  || Motherboard VRMs Tier List || Motherboard Beep & POST Codes || Graphics Card Tier List || PSU Tier List 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950X ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB(4x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: ASUS ROG Crosshair VIII Dark Hero X570  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: ASUS TUF Gaming RX 6900XT  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: ASUS TUF Gaming VG34VQL1B 34" 

3 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thanks, for responding!

Yeah I'm not really sure what is going on as its just 4 years old. It does have a 10 year warranty through EVGA. 

Its 80+ rating is platinum, just above gold but below titanium. 

Yeah, then you might want to get a change on their warranty or it being looked into on their part :)
If you dislike the sound, and it doing that so early.

Also by the way, there isn't too much dust around it or inside?

As they might not like too much dust in them and also could be an fire hazard if too much (like a carpet of dust) eew :P

1 minute ago, Quackers101 said:

Yeah, then you might want to get a change on their warranty or it being looked into on their part :)
If you dislike the sound, and it doing that so early.

Also by the way, there isn't too much dust around it or inside?

As they might not like too much dust in them and also could be an fire hazard if too much (like a carpet of dust) eew :P

I will be in touch with EVGA. I will most likely call tomorrow explaining to CS what is going on. 

There is hardly any dust around in the power supply, maybe a thin film on some clear plastic sheet they place inside that you cannot access to remove. Most be for some sort of air flow shield or something. I clean my PC out every month or so and the fan is facing up. I would face it down (my PC is on my desk sitting 30" or so above carpet) but the screw holes never line up with the back of the case. I had a similar issue with my Corsair 400R (my first case) before moving to the case I have now.

I would just upgrade the power supply to a higher wattage one but finding any around that is high quality is pretty slim without paying more than MSRP. 

Just now, Caroline said:

Sounds like the fan is missing some grease or lube

I was wondering that as it doesn't sound like it runs smooth at all, strange considering strange considering this PSU has sat fan up for its whole life. I'm not going to mess with opening it up since its still under warranty and have it RMAed by EVGA. 

Then the dust shouldnt' be an issue, and if it's the same on the inside of the PSU.

850W is more than enough for most builds.

Any reason for going higher?

2 minutes ago, Quackers101 said:

Then the dust shouldnt' be an issue, and if it's the same on the inside of the PSU.

850W is more than enough for most builds.

Any reason for going higher?

I was thinking more headroom with a 10980XE and 2080 I have. Perhaps something like a 1000W-1300W PSU. 

2 minutes ago, CommanderAlex said:

I was thinking more headroom with a 10980XE and 2080 I have. Perhaps something like a 1000W-1300W PSU. 

No need. 850w is fine.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

1 minute ago, Skipple said:

No need. 850w is fine.

Thanks for clarifying that as others on the forum have mentioned that 850W might not be enough. 

7 hours ago, CommanderAlex said:

Thanks for clarifying that as others on the forum have mentioned that 850W might not be enough. 

You'll definitely want higher if you're OCing that 10980xe.

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

^-^

2 hours ago, Elisis said:

You'll definitely want higher if you're OCing that 10980xe.

Yeah that's why I'm in the middle of the boat with that wattage PSU. I'll try and get a bigger PSU whenever they become more available. 

9 hours ago, Caroline said:

Sounds like the fan is missing some grease or lube

EVGA did get back to me after hearing the sound so it appears the noise is coming from the fan and will go ahead with an RMA. 

16 minutes ago, Caroline said:

some fans perform better if the PSU vent is facing down, otherwise the motor could get stuck because of simple gravity

go through the return process and then you can either keep it or sell it as a refurb to get a 1000W unit if you're upgrading the CPU

I would place it down but the power supply holes never line up with the holes on the back of the case. This has happened in my Corsair 400R as well. Its like they are shifted over a couple mm and can't screw them all in. I've gone ahead with the RMA and I don't know what they are going to do with sending a replacement P2 850W as they are out of stock on their website, unless they have a different stock amount that we can't see. 

I'm already on the 10980XE with RTX 2080. Specs are in my signature.