Find something strange on back of my motherboard

Go to solution Solved by Blue4130,
1 hour ago, Flokikz77 said:

you sure ?

100%. But if you want to feel sure about it, send an email to msi. They will tell you the same thing. 

Hello, recently i having random shutdowns on my pc and i open the case to check cables and psu and found this in the back of my motherboard any one know what that is?

at first i thought it was humidity becuase it looks wet but is not.

20201227_224448.jpg

Just looks like the chips were soldered with heat and its discoloured the pcb silkscreen? 

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

5 minutes ago, Flokikz77 said:

wet but is not.

Does it leave a residue on your fingers, or a q-tip? It's possible you've got leakage from somewhere, BUT, that may not be the cause of your issues, we'd need more details on the issue to properly troubleshoot

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

14 minutes ago, Flokikz77 said:

Hello, recently i having random shutdowns on my pc and i open the case to check cables and psu and found this in the back of my motherboard any one know what that is?

at first i thought it was humidity becuase it looks wet but is not.

20201227_224448.jpg

Looks like excessive heat due to stressing the components. Did you overclock the cpu without proper airflow?

9 minutes ago, Radium_Angel said:

Does it leave a residue on your fingers, or a q-tip? It's possible you've got leakage from somewhere, BUT, that may not be the cause of your issues, we'd need more details on the issue to properly troubleshoot

no when i touch did not leve nothing on the fingers, what more details you need ?

the pc have random shutdowns sometimes i play games for hours and dont shutdown and other times i just use normal like go to youtube or do nothing and shutdown and restart in games happen to 2 or 3 times, i made some test like stress cpu a gpu and i did not make any shutdows  

4 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Looks like excessive heat due to stressing the components. Did you overclock the cpu without proper airflow?

no i did not make any overclocks 

Just now, Flokikz77 said:

no i did not make any overclocks 

Then the only other reason I see is a damaged VRM. Can you upload a picture from the other side. If I am correct, I would not use that board anymore and RMA it.

10 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Then the only other reason I see is a damaged VRM. Can you upload a picture from the other side. If I am correct, I would not use that board anymore and RMA it.

20201228_012909.jpg

1 minute ago, Flokikz77 said:

20201228_012909.jpg

Right, that heatsink covers the VRMs. That's my bad, I've seen the screws on the back and did not think about it. There is no way to tell if one is damaged that way. I'd have that motherboard replaced (RMA if you have warranty). I've seen this type of damage before on graphics cards. Basically the copper traces got hot like when a wire melts due to a short but the copper lanes are behind a layer of insulating material that gets shiny once heated up. The same effect can be observed when using a hair dryer or heat gun on a pcb, it will get shiny again.

5 minutes ago, Applefreak said:

Right, that heatsink covers the VRMs. That's my bad, I've seen the screws on the back and did not think about it. There is no way to tell if one is damaged that way. I'd have that motherboard replaced (RMA if you have warranty). I've seen this type of damage before on graphics cards. Basically the copper traces got hot like when a wire melts due to a short but the copper lanes are behind a layer of insulating material that gets shiny once heated up. The same effect can be observed when using a hair dryer or heat gun on a pcb, it will get shiny again.

this may be the cause of that shutdowns ? 

Just now, Flokikz77 said:

this may be the cause of that shutdowns ? 

If the board cannot provide enough power it will shutdown. Same would happen if you use a low wattage power supply and start a game it would then crash and restart. It can only be heat, the VRMs are solid state so no liquid, the Heatpipes on the VRM heatsinks contain only microscopic amounts of liquid and your cpu is air cooled. It can't be oild from the fan bearings as there are no droplets and no traces. The discoloration seems to center on the solder points and traces on the pcb that shine though the top layer. So in conclusion, something on the power delivery side has gone wrong. Just in case I would also replace the power supply as it could be the original culprit.

2 hours ago, Flokikz77 said:

what more details you need ?

Full system specs for starters

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

It's non-conductive oil/grease from the thermal pads under the vrm heatsink. Nothing to be worried about. 

you sure ?

1 hour ago, Blue4130 said:

It's non-conductive oil/grease from the thermal pads under the vrm heatsink. Nothing to be worried about. 

This is what it is, its very common and nothing to worry about

13 minutes ago, Selle said:

This is what it is, its very common and nothing to worry about

i hope yes, becuase send the board back and wait for a new one it was frustrating 

1 hour ago, Flokikz77 said:

you sure ?

100%. But if you want to feel sure about it, send an email to msi. They will tell you the same thing.