Using an Rtx 3070 on an existing, old build

Mctech

Hello everyone, happy holidays!

I recently picked up an rtx 3070 XC3 Ultra from Evga for a pc that I am planning on building. However, my cpu and psu will not get here until the end of January. Note: the gpu is factory overclocked and has a backplate.

So, I was wondering if I can use the 3070 with my current build while I wait for the rest of my components.

current build: 

cpu - i5 6500

mobo - msi h110m pro vd 

ram - 8gb crucial ballistix and 8 gb Corsair vengeance

psu - Corsair cx 750 80 plus bronze (green version not the newer black and grey logo)

I know that the rtx 3070 is recommended to be paired with a 650 watt psu and I have a 750 which should therefore mean that I have some headroom. However, because my motherboard is so cheap (40-50) bucks, and since my PSU is typically not recommended (I have heard terrible things about the Corsair green cx), I am worried that something may happen. Or will it be fine?

lastly, would using the gpu now hinder its performance when used in the fresh system I plan on building? I’m not entirely sure how drivers work but would using the gpu now do anything or will it be the same as installing a brand new gpu?

Well I'm running a 3080 with a 3600 with a 650W PSU for a couple of months now and its been fine, so take that as you may ;) Drivers should be fine, if you do run into any issues you can use something like DDU in safe mode:https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html it'll remove traces of old drivers. :)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

5 minutes ago, werto165 said:

Well I'm running a 3080 with a 3600 with a 650W PSU for a couple of months now and its been fine, so take that as you may ;) Drivers should be fine, if you do run into any issues you can use something like DDU in safe mode:https://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html it'll remove traces of old drivers. :)

I see so my motherboard and psu should be capable? Even if they are lower quality ones. 

and as for the gpu, would it run like new when installed on my new pc? If I install it to my old one first

2 minutes ago, Mctech said:

I see so my motherboard and psu should be capable? Even if they are lower quality ones. 

and as for the gpu, would it run like new when installed on my new pc? If I install it to my old one first

What was the old GPU? It will use whatever driver is installed, so if that was an Nvidia one it'll be the latest driver that you had installed, if you didn't have an Nvidia one, and an AMD/no gpu you would get a fairly old driver that windows should install automatically. I would just recommend downlaoding geforce expereince, easiest way of keeping ur drivers up to date :D And yeah your mobo and psu should be fine :)

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

Just now, werto165 said:

What was the old GPU? It will use whatever driver is installed, so if that was an Nvidia one it'll be the latest driver that you had installed, if you didn't have an Nvidia one, and an AMD/no gpu you would get a fairly old driver that windows should install automatically. I would just recommend downlaoding geforce expereince, easiest way of keeping ur drivers up to date :D

The old gpu is an rtx 2060. I see so drivers are the only things that impact the gpu performance? So with this idealogy, I would be able to plug this rtx 3070 into any build and it will run just like new as long as I have the right drivers? 

7 minutes ago, Mctech said:

The old gpu is an rtx 2060. I see so drivers are the only things that impact the gpu performance? So with this idealogy, I would be able to plug this rtx 3070 into any build and it will run just like new as long as I have the right drivers? 

I guess its not as simple as that, as your CPU needs to be powerful enough to drive your GPU, there's something called being GPU bound where you would see something like 99% GPU usage this would be taking full advantage of your card. if your CPU cant give your GPU enough instructions in enough time you'll see some degradation in performance, this usually manifests itself at lower resolutions because you'll be driving higher frame rates. so you would see perhaps 100% cpu usage and 75 GPU for example. 

this might be useful: 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-gaming-cpu-buyers-guide

Sometimes nvidias drivers are a bit borked, I play VR and apparently there's a bug in the latest driver that affects peformance in MSFS 2020, but I would just recommend getting the latest driver, there's usually drivers that are called game ready that will conincide with a new release, most recent example would be cyberpunk 2077. 

But yeah in general it should just work :) 

9 minutes ago, werto165 said:

I guess its not as simple as that, as your CPU needs to be powerful enough to drive your GPU, there's something called being GPU bound where you would see something like 99% GPU usage this would be taking full advantage of your card. if your CPU cant give your GPU enough instructions in enough time you'll see some degradation in performance, this usually manifests itself at lower resolutions because you'll be driving higher frame rates. so you would see perhaps 100% cpu usage and 75 GPU for example. 

this might be useful: 

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-best-gaming-cpu-buyers-guide

Sometimes nvidias drivers are a bit borked, I play VR and apparently there's a bug in the latest driver that affects peformance in MSFS 2020, but I would just recommend getting the latest driver, there's usually drivers that are called game ready that will conincide with a new release, most recent example would be cyberpunk 2077. 

But yeah in general it should just work :) 

Wow thanks for expanding so much, this makes a lot of sense. I appreciate your help a lot :)))