AMD 5800X High Idle Temps

Jetrise

Hi All,

I've been lucky enough to get my hands on the new AMD 5800X CPU, however, after much trial and error of fan arrangements, fan curves and reapplying thermal paste, I am still getting relatively high idle temperatures, anywhere between 55-65 degrees Celsius. This hits 80 during gameplay and does not exceed 84 during all core workloads at all core clock speed rated.

You can see my arrangement below of three intakes with two exhausts. You can see my specs below. I originally used Noctua’s thermal paste and then replaced it with Artic MX4 just in-case that was it, but that only knocked a degree or two off. I’ve also been relatively aggressive with my fan curves from default, and while this is somewhat effective, it is incredibly loud.

Could this be a faulty chip?

Thanks,

Shaun.

unnamed (4).jpg

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

Well it's a transistor dense 105w monster with high frequency boost states. 

This is the nature of most all high end AMD Zen chips, no worries though.

The cooler is a little small, but efficient enough to prevent full load over heats.

The smaller the cooler, the higher the temp gradient. 

High Temp gradient means high idle temps to load temps (65c to 85c) is smaller than a cooler that can keep a lower temp gradient say idle 45c to load 85c.

Some coolers are actually more efficient with a higher temp gradient and will typically level off load temps quicker.

If you want less noise from the current cooler, set up your fan profile.

2 hours ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Well it's a transistor dense 105w monster with high frequency boost states. 

This is the nature of most all high end AMD Zen chips, no worries though.

The cooler is a little small, but efficient enough to prevent full load over heats.

The smaller the cooler, the higher the temp gradient. 

High Temp gradient means high idle temps to load temps (65c to 85c) is smaller than a cooler that can keep a lower temp gradient say idle 45c to load 85c.

Some coolers are actually more efficient with a higher temp gradient and will typically level off load temps quicker.

If you want less noise from the current cooler, set up your fan profile.

When I went on Noctuas website, I got the cooler based on their stats, which they said would be sufficient. Would you recommend an upgrade in the future? 

https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7 5800X-1046

CPU: AMD 5800X                                            RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x16GB (3200MHz)                                                OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit                                         

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC           Storage: WD SN750 1TB + Samsung 860 Evo 500GB + 2TB Seagate HDD         Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow                                       

MOBO: MSI X570 Tomahawk (Wi-Fi)              PSU: Corsair RM 850x                                                                                             CPU Cooling: Noctua NH-U12S chromax.black        

Mouse: Corsair M55                                        Keyboard: Corsair K55                                                                                            Headset: HyperX Cloud II                                           

2 hours ago, Jetrise said:

When I went on Noctuas website, I got the cooler based on their stats, which they said would be sufficient. Would you recommend an upgrade in the future? 

https://ncc.noctua.at/cpus/model/AMD-Ryzen-7 5800X-1046

The NH-D15 is one of the top coolers on the market. It's arguably better than most AIO coolers out there.

okay i dont know about 5800x but I did have the same problem with my r7 3700x. your set up seem to be fine so does your cooler. I would add another fan to the top though. 
You should go into your bios and checck the Core voltage that your cpu is running. If its on auto, it will spike up and down. from my experience ( my 3700x, it spike from 48-65 , randomly ) and its annoying when you have your fan curve set up. I fixed it by setting my Core voltage to manual at 1.300v. it was on auto and it was running hot with the spikes. with the fixed manually core voltage, my temp has been stable at 37-45 idle and 55 under load.  You can test the core voltage best for your cpu, no harm nor performance lost under voltaging your cpu. 

What temps do you get if you run the fans at 100%? 
Cooler wise I would have gone for the bigger D15, but for now have a google for PBO settings. I've seen people undervolt dropping temps but keeping or increasing performance in some cases. 

In the same boat with my 5800x using a Corsair h100i 240mm aio my idle temp is 47c Gaming low 70’s and CPU-Z stress test locked at 80c. 

That’s a kind of weak cooler for that chip 

CPU-AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D GPU- RTX 4070 SUPER FE MOBO-ASUS ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming Wifi RAM-32gb G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo DDR5 6000cl30 STORAGE-2x1TB Seagate Firecuda 530 PCIE4 NVME PSU-Corsair RM1000x Shift COOLING-EK-AIO 360mm with 3x Lian Li P28 + 4 Lian Li TL120 (Intake) CASE-Phanteks NV5 MONITORS-ASUS ROG Strix XG27AQ 1440p 170hz+Gigabyte G24F 1080p 180hz PERIPHERALS-Lamzu Maya+ 4k Dongle+LGG Saturn Pro Mousepad+Nk65 Watermelon (Tangerine Switches)+Autonomous ErgoChair+ AUDIO-RODE NTH-100+Schiit Magni Heresy+Motu M2 Interface

Have had my 5800x for 3 days now, cooled by a 240mm aio. Have got my temps down to high 30’s low 40’s on idle and high 70’s low 80’s during a cinebench run. 

This was made possible via the curve optimizer under pbo, by setting the stacks or what ever they are to -25 on all cores. 

also tried -30 on all cores which results in even lower temps and higher all core boost clocks (4.75 ghz sustained during cinebench) but the pc is unstable at idle (1-2 crashes during 5-6 hours) no problems during load thought.

Thanks for the advice people. I am going to upgrade to a D15 Chromax in the coming weeks. I'll also have a look at voltage.

The problem with these chips is that it’s such a small area to transfer a ton of heat from, that there’s really only so much you can do. If I do absolutely nothing at all, my 5600X will idle about 2-3C above my coolant temp, but throw in Firefox or steam and it’ll go up 10-15C above coolant temp. In CB23 it’ll hit about 40C above coolant temp worst case, but I’ve managed to hit 30-35C in games as well. This is with PBO+AutoOC and a .05mv negative offset. 
TLDR: Chips are tiny and heat load is high, so it’s difficult to transfer that heat effectively. 

Main PC: R5 5600X | EVGA RTX 2080 | X470 Strix-F | 32GB DDR4 @3600 CL16 | ~4.5 TB Various SSDs |

Watercooling: EK Quantum Velocity | EVGA Hydro Cooper | Swiftech MCP355 | Red/Black Bitspower 3/8" x 5/8" Fittings| EK ZMT Tubing |

Plex: i7 3770K | Z77 Gene-V | 16GB DDR3 | 1x2TB WD Red 2x4TB WD Red 1x10TB Barracuda Pro |

13 minutes ago, -Strelok- said:

The problem with these chips is that it’s such a small area to transfer a ton of heat from, that there’s really only so much you can do. If I do absolutely nothing at all, my 5600X will idle about 2-3C above my coolant temp, but throw in Firefox or steam and it’ll go up 10-15C above coolant temp. In CB23 it’ll hit about 40C above coolant temp worst case, but I’ve managed to hit 30-35C in games as well. This is with PBO+AutoOC and a .05mv negative offset. 
TLDR: Chips are tiny and heat load is high, so it’s difficult to transfer that heat effectively. 

That's interesting because the 5600x is actually very easy to cool compared to the 5800x. Many people around the internet report having trouble taming it whereas I haven't seen many if any similar reports for the 5600x. Personally mine runs very cool compared to my 3800xt using the same cooler (NH-C14s).

Also the bummer part about these processors is that the clocks are so dependent on temperature, a few degrees can make a pretty noticeable difference in actual performance for all-core loads. 

I have the 5800x and the noctua nh d 15 idle at 35C room temp 21C i have 2 Noctua 140mm redux 1200rpm in front and 1 120mm ml from corsair in the 4000d airflow case. At idle i can't even hear anything. i used the "ai fan tuner" on my asus rog b550 strix. while gaming it doesnt top 65C with the fans running at around 1000 to 1100 rpm

I run a standard 4,550 ghz overclock at 1.25v 

So maybe you need reapply the cooler?