Have 32gb ram, however almost every game uses less than 3gb!!!

Sararrr
Go to solution Solved by Wh0_Am_1,
6 hours ago, Sararrr said:

so in sense , if program is not optimized well to utilize most vram or ram will not use more than it needs and only way make program run better if your clock speeds are higher, ye?

Not necessarily, so first to understand RAM is a large semi-fast cache of data whose whole purpose is to help keep the CPU constantly fed, there are three faster and significantly smaller levels of cache on the CPU directly but it is significantly faster to load something from RAM for misses or loading to higher cache levels than a solid state drive, a hard disk drive, or the internet. As far as RAM goes beyond a small improvement in caching, and clock speeds, and arrangement, there is little that you can do to help with in RAM upgrades, as long as you have enough of it and it is fast enough to properly keep the CPU fed. (and GPU in the case of VRAM)

And clock speed is not everything, it's merely how fast a CPU or GPU can complete a cycle of predetermined size and computations, your RAM can respond and send a requested instruction and etc. do note (all for CPUs and GPUs), instructions per clock , architecture differences, *cores and even things such as cache arrangement in the case of Zen 4 can lead to major performance improvements. So, do your research.

*as far as cores go it is only going to help if the program is optimize to use enough of them, or to run things in the background such as your OS beyond that, generally more cores are not that helpful.

Why my computer uses low amount of ram in games when I have 32gb ? Plus most games use half vram also even tho gpu is at 100 % usage.
Drivers up to date.
Pc not overheating, gpu 60-74C 
Same with cpu. So as example like apex legends recomended ram 8gb ram, but it uses 1-2gb makes no sense. My pc i7-8700k and gpu 1080ti in my sense good balance. 

Windows 10

Virtual memory is off.

Any ideas?

Edited by Sararrr
More info

There is not a game currently made that can use 32GB of RAM. 

Unless you are seeing some actual shortfall in game performance I'm not sure why you're worried about this. 

Corps aren't your friends. "Bottleneck calculators" are BS. Only suckers buy based on brand. It's your PC, do what makes you happy.  If your build meets your needs, you don't need anyone else to "rate" it for you. And talking about being part of a "master race" is cringe. Watch this space for further truths people need to hear.

Ryzen 7 5800X3D | ASRock X570 PG Velocita | PowerColor Red Devil RX 6900 XT | 4x8GB Crucial Ballistix 3600mt/s CL16

3 minutes ago, Sararrr said:

Why my computer uses low amount of ram in games when I have 32gb ? Plus most games use half vram also even tho gpu is at 100 % usage.
Drivers up to date.
Same with cpu. So as example like apex legends recomended ram 8gb ram, but it uses 1-2gb makes no sense. My pc i7-8700k and gpu 1080ti in my sense good balance.

Any ideas?

Recommend doesnt always mean that it will be used, your pc uses a combination of virtual and physical memory.

The system you have goes into account on how the resources are utilized.

VRAM on the GPU is not used in the same manner as your Physical and Virtual RAM.

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

6 minutes ago, Sararrr said:

Drivers up to date.

Windows 10

Virtual memory is off.

Any ideas?

So the reason why Apex wants 8 is your system wants 4GB of RAM to run by default your computer will want to share 2GB of RAM with your GPU, and your game will eat 1 to 2GB, leading to a lack of RAM, which is why it is good to have 16 to leave headroom. Unless you have multiple programs running at once, are running large video or render programs, have 10 billion tabs open like me, or are doing some other demanding task, you will likely not need more than 16GB of RAM for quite a while yet.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

3 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

So the reason why Apex wants 8 is your system wants 4GB of RAM to run by default your computer will want to share 2GB of RAM with your GPU, and your game will eat 1 to 2GB, leading to a lack of RAM, which is why it is good to have 16 to leave headroom. Unless you have multiple programs running at once, are running large video or render programs, have 10 billion tabs open like me, or are doing some other demanding task, you will likely not need more than 16GB of RAM for quite a while yet.

but what it doesnt make sense for me that if gpu eats up most demanding side if pc can handle why it doesnt uses more if it can?

1 minute ago, Sararrr said:

but what it doesnt make sense for me that if gpu eats up most demanding side if pc can handle why it doesnt uses more if it can?

If you have the settings turned up, and the textures fully loaded and everything is fully loaded, then there is simply nothing more that it can put in the RAM. It doesn't toss anything more in, because there is no reason to.

In search of the future, new tech, and exploring the universe! All under the cover of anonymity!

2 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

If you have the settings turned up, and the textures fully loaded and everything is fully loaded, then there is simply nothing more that it can put in the RAM. It doesn't toss anything more in, because there is no reason to.

in nutshell, isnt more ram helps cpu make process faster?

1 minute ago, Sararrr said:

in nutshell, isnt more ram helps cpu make process faster?

Yes, in programs that can utilize it such as web browsers, items can be prefetched and cached in RAM, where the CPU would otherwise need to go to the storage drive or the internet. But not every program has the need/ability to do this. Generally speaking though, games often have no need and/or reason to store this in RAM, so they don't.

10 minutes ago, Wh0_Am_1 said:

Yes, in programs that can utilize it such as web browsers, items can be prefetched and cached in RAM, where the CPU would otherwise need to go to the storage drive or the internet. But not every program has the need/ability to do this. Generally speaking though, games often have no need and/or reason to store this in RAM, so they don't.

so in sense , if program is not optimized well to utilize most vram or ram will not use more than it needs and only way make program run better if your clock speeds are higher, ye?

6 hours ago, Sararrr said:

Not necessarily, so first to understand RAM is a large semi-fast cache of data whose whole purpose is to help keep the CPU constantly fed, there are three faster and significantly smaller levels of cache on the CPU directly but it is significantly faster to load something from RAM for misses or loading to higher cache levels than a solid state drive, a hard disk drive, or the internet. As far as RAM goes beyond a small improvement in caching, and clock speeds, and arrangement, there is little that you can do to help with in RAM upgrades, as long as you have enough of it and it is fast enough to properly keep the CPU fed. (and GPU in the case of VRAM)

And clock speed is not everything, it's merely how fast a CPU or GPU can complete a cycle of predetermined size and computations, your RAM can respond and send a requested instruction and etc. do note (all for CPUs and GPUs), instructions per clock , architecture differences, *cores and even things such as cache arrangement in the case of Zen 4 can lead to major performance improvements. So, do your research.

*as far as cores go it is only going to help if the program is optimize to use enough of them, or to run things in the background such as your OS beyond that, generally more cores are not that helpful.

On 12/24/2020 at 11:11 AM, Wh0_Am_1 said:

with clock speed I meant through all components gpu and cpu including, but you answered really detailed like I thought, thank  you. Just after long time I just seen that some games use much less ram than it use to, and my computer just had just few changes  and the amount of ram usage dropped is huge. Well in sense cpu and gpu changes probably had effect on it, maybe games aswell, drivers update also.. Thank you for your time.