Palit RTX 3080 Gaming Pro ( do i need a backplate ?)

Might have chance to get one of these and will want to watercool it and will fit the EK version  block for the card .

how ever do i need to the backplate as well ?

I know the back of the VRAMs get hot --   but hot enough to warrant buying the backplate so that the heat will transfer  ? 

I have WC most of my GPU's and made my own backplates ( acrylic ) 

just trying to save a few ££/$$ :) 

Backplates are almost always an aesthetic thing, not really worth it if you're looking for performance improvements.

SimRacer - Casual FSX Pilot!

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

So i won't have anything to worry about with the back of VRAM's getting hot and nothing removing the heat from them ? 

Just now, sykotikman said:

So i won't have anything to worry about with the back of VRAM's getting hot and nothing removing the heat from them ? 

You can always slap little VRM heatsinks on them if the heat ever becomes an issue, which would deliver a better perfomance improvement than a backplate. Backplates look nice though :D

Spoiler

Mobo: MSI B550 Tomahawk | CPU: Ryzen R5 3600 | GPU: Vega 64 Sapphire Nitro | RAM: 16GB Crucial Ballistix DDR4 3200Mhz | PSU: EVGA P2 1000W 80Plus Platinum | Storage: 256GB Samsung 840 Pro SSD - 1TB WD Black - 2TB Seagate HDD | Cooling: Dark Rock Pro 3, Noiseblocker eLoop Fans | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Luxe | Audio: Sennheiser HD598 - JBL LSR305s | Display: BenQ EX3501R, Asus VG278H

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, aduman said:

You can always slap little VRM heatsinks on them if the heat ever becomes an issue, which would deliver a better perfomance improvement than a backplate. Backplates look nice though :D

Not a bad idea that , ( sure i have some laid around from an other project i did ) 

TBH , the backplate isn't needed at all as the PC is tucked away behind closed doors ( rig is used in my main  living room with a 4K tv ) 

25 minutes ago, sykotikman said:

Not a bad idea that , ( sure i have some laid around from an other project i did ) 

TBH , the backplate isn't needed at all as the PC is tucked away behind closed doors ( rig is used in my main  living room with a 4K tv ) 

Well then you have your answer.

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, aduman said:

Well then you have your answer.

LOL , yes i do ,

it was just the heat i worried about , but doesn't seem to be an issue .

Thanks  

1 minute ago, sykotikman said:

LOL , yes i do ,

it was just the heat i worried about , but doesn't seem to be an issue .

Thanks  

Np, you're welcome!

Spoiler

Spoiler

• 2 weeks later...

Got the card and fitted the waterblock and back plate ( bought it in  the end - as the standard back plate  on the stock card was hitting 60+ in some parts and didn't want to leave it naked ) 

been playing a game and temps are a lot higher than i thought there would be 56*c and that's just playing BF4 

that can't be right is it ? 

only the GPU is in the loop with a 240 rad and 100mm res  running stock clocks  ( CPU is on AIO ) 

my last GPU -1080ti (OC'd) was only hitting high 40's on all games and the one before that 1070ti was about the same temp 

is it normal for the 3080 under water to hit temps that high ?