System restarts on new purchased prebuilt.

Sir Killsalot

I ordered a new system with MAINGEAR (could not find parts to build myself), here are the specs:

5950x 3.4Gz

64GB memory 3600mhz

Nvme聽

I will be adding another NVME and two聽2TB HD.

3080 (for editing, multiple screens, wacom tablet,not sure if it matters)

240mm liquid cooling

EVGA Supernova 850 GA (issues with units as per Maingear, multiple customers)

and a Tshirt! 馃槢

According to maingear tech support, they said that they had multiple complains by customers with the same issue as me and they think they narrow it down to the power supply with the GA model. They will be sending me a new PSU different model, but my question is, should i upgrade the PSU to 1000w (i think 1200 is overkill) since ive read that there is some power spikes on the 3080 or 3090 but not sure if it will apply to me.聽

I cannot have my system restarting in the middle of editing and lose all my work. I do have my system with a battery backup and i will be purchasing a new one to eliminate degradation from being old.聽

Buying the 1000w PSU might be overkill but it might not. I do push my system while in use with multiple programs, file copying to system and across network, etc.聽

850W should be fine with your current hardware config, but 1000W gives you more room for upgrades in the future (such as another GPU, lots of HDDs, etc.)

If it's not too much of an extra cost, I don't see why not. It gives you peace of mind that the PSU is definitely not a problem if your PC ever shuts off.

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing聽Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360聽- i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Yeah.. The GA series has had a lot of reported issues with the higher power 3080 cards.聽 Sad to hear that Maingear is cheaping out on their power supplies.

You don't need a 1000W PSU.聽 You need a good PSU.

Thank you guys. I replaced the PSU with a Corsair 850w and i still had the same issue. Updated drivers and windows updates and still the same. I remember that the computer came with a Ryzen software to overclock with a click of a button. I click on Defaults and the system has not restarted in more than 8 hours which is already a win. Not sure if the unstability when overclocking was the issue, maybe overheated, but for now it hasnt happened. I will keep testing and let you guys know.

Thx.