Something's wrong with one of my drives

kitnoman

I have multiple ssd, hhd drives. I pretty much don't sell my old drives and just add it in to my new build every time. Can anyone help me what might cause this issue? So basically every time it is connected (my oldest drive, a wd blue hhd), the whole pc is slow or freezing but the cpu usage is not 100%. Once I remove the drive, everything works back fine. I have a lot of work files and family pics that does not have a copy on that drive that hopefully I can recover. 

That sounds like a dying drive.

I had a 300GB IDE drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 10) that whenever it was plugged in, slowed - or froze - the whole system down.

Here is what to do:
1. Get a new drive with the same capacity.

2. Clone the old drive to the new drive.

elephants

Sounds like a bad drive.  If it still works, albeit slowly, while plugged in then I'd say back up everything as quickly as possible.  Then punch some holes in it and be sure to recycle.

5 hours ago, ragnarok0273 said:

That sounds like a dying drive.

I had a 300GB IDE drive (Maxtor DiamondMax 10) that whenever it was plugged in, slowed - or froze - the whole system down.

Here is what to do:
1. Get a new drive with the same capacity.

2. Clone the old drive to the new drive.

2 hours ago, JarredTX said:

Sounds like a bad drive.  If it still works, albeit slowly, while plugged in then I'd say back up everything as quickly as possible.  Then punch some holes in it and be sure to recycle.

Thank you for the info. By the way, is there a method or app that I can use to clone without windows trying to read the drive? the pc becomes unusable a few mins after I connect drive.

There’s a few bootable disk tools and without knowing how great it is anymore, Disk Director by Acronis used to be pretty good.  It should at least let you salvage your data of the drive is in good enough shape to be read.

21 minutes ago, JarredTX said:

There’s a few bootable disk tools and without knowing how great it is anymore, Disk Director by Acronis used to be pretty good.  It should at least let you salvage your data of the drive is in good enough shape to be read.

Thanks