Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Thermal paste a little on outside of pin

So im putting in a new motherboard an of course like last time my CPU was stuck to the heatsink so gently wiggled it off, however this time i noticed theres a little bit of thermal paste touching a few of the pins on the outside in the middle (photo provided) and now im a little worried about using it. I do have some isopropyl alcohol and cotton buds but ive never encountered a situation like this and i dont know what to do. Thermal paste was the noctua NTH11

thumbnail_IMG_6830.jpg

Link to post
Share on other sites

It depends on what the pins are for, if they were grounding pins they should not matter. If they were main pins, as long as you clean them off as good as you can and the contact pads are not ruined.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Texas1836 said:

It depends on what the pins are for, if they were grounding pins they should not matter. If they were main pins, as long as you clean them off as good as you can and the contact pads are not ruined.

How would i go about that? How would i know which pins are what? Like shown in the picture they are on the very outside so cleaning might not be an issue with a cotton bud but well like i said dunno 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There is no way to tell. I would try puting the CPU back in the socket and putting the cooler back on (just for a boot test, without thermal paste) and if it boots into windows without a problem you should be fine. Clean the best you can though to be safe.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Texas1836 said:

There is no way to tell. I would try puting the CPU back in the socket and putting the cooler back on (just for a boot test, without thermal paste) and if it boots into windows without a problem you should be fine. Clean the best you can though to be safe.

I might just take it to a local store... theyd probably do it safer... Will see if i can get a hold of em

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was just going to say to use a Q-Tip soaked in high % isopropyl alcohol and LIGHTLY touch those pins to see if the thermal compound comes off. 

PSU Tier List  || Graphics Card Tier List 

 

Resonance Cascade Specifications: 

 

CPU: Intel i9-10980XE 18C/36T  ||  CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Air Cooler ||  RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 64GB(8x8GB) DDR4-3600 CL18  ||  Mobo: MSI X299 Gaming Pro Carbon AC  ||  SSD: Samsung 970 EVO  1TB M.2-2280 Boot Drive/Some Games)  ||  HDD: 2X Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB(Game Drive)  ||  GPU: MSI RTX 2080 GAMING X TRIO  ||  PSU: EVGA P2 1600W  ||  Case: Corsair 900D  ||  Mouse: Logitech G502 Hero SE RGB  ||  Keyboard: Logitech G513 Carbon RGB with GX Blue Clicky Switches  ||  Mouse Pad: MAINGEAR ASSIST XL ||  Monitor: MSI MAG271CQR 144HZ 27" 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 12/23/2020 at 11:24 AM, CommanderAlex said:

I was just going to say to use a Q-Tip soaked in high % isopropyl alcohol and LIGHTLY touch those pins to see if the thermal compound comes off. 

Yeah i was originallyly going to but im not gonna take chances, its my only current CPU and i was going to go 5900x but i said id wait it out especially since its way out of stock atm. Id rather pay 55 bucks and have someone who knows what they are doing do it instead of loosing 500+ in hardware (AUD prices) but thank you for the suggestions guys, will let you know how i go

EDIT: I forgot about this, took it to Centrecom they cleaned it for free on the spot no service charge all is well :)

Happy new year guys!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Newegg

×