Why are the LMG channels losing their identity?

Matteo Pignoli

I've been following all of the team's channels for quite a long while, several years at this point.

All the different channels had their distinct identity, in the way that they were shot and scripted.

So... Why did this change? I was watching a Techquickie video, and I didn't realize it was a Techquickie video. Because the white chromakey'd background is long gone, basically only the use of stock photos has remained. 

It was shot in the "Shortcircuit set", if we want to call it that way. Several LTT videos were set in that same filming location in the studio, and I really don't get why.

Why did the production of the videos started to use sets (That I suppose were created with certain channels and videos in mind) as "general purpose sets that we can use for every channel"

Basicaly the only channel that is still consistent in it's filming style and set is TechLinked, but I think that the reason TechLinked is so "unchanging" is due to the nature of the production of the videos, that need to be done quickly, more than identity and such.

How does all fo this not create any problem in the form of brand identity of the channels and/or the content created?
I get that the vast majority of the audience between the channels is shared, so it shouldn't be that big of an issue as maybe this post is trying to make it out to be, but I think that different channels exist to be different to one another, and this "amalgamation" of content is... Really strange to me.

I hope to get an answer, since I'm really curious! I hope I didn't sound pedantic, I was just curious. Thank to everyone who'll read this in advance!

((Also, I'm not really used to the forum, so I hope I posted this topic in the accurate place))

1 minute ago, nbrowser said:

Change is a constant.

And if one does not, they are bound to stagnate. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

what does it matter? its all good stuff 

Desktop

AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | HyperX 16GB @ 3600mhz

Gigabyte RTX 3070 Gaming OC | Gigabyte B550 Gaming V2

MSI Optix MAG251RX 240hz | NZXT H511 | Segate 500GB SSD | EVGA 750W 80+ gold

2 minutes ago, SpartanSoldierTF2 said:

what does it matter? its all good stuff 

I was curious.

9 minutes ago, nbrowser said:

Change is a constant.

Of course change is a constant, and change is always good. My question was about "amalgamation", not "change".

Each channel has their purpose. They have their identity. Though as Linus has said in some of his community videos and on the wan show, they are sometimes torn as to where to put certain content. IE, the Mario cart thing. They were unsure if it belonged on ShortCircuit or LTT. 

At some point in the past and I think it was on a wan show, Linus did talk about what the purpose of each channel was. What they serve as and why. He does a pretty good job adhering to that. There is a reason why ShortCircuit exists, TechLinked, TechQuickie, etc. LMG clips does a nice job breaking down the wan show as well. 

Be sure to @Pickles von Brine if you want me to see your reply!

Stopping by to praise the all mighty jar Lord pickles... * drinks from a chalice of holy pickle juice and tossed dill over shoulder* ~ @WarDance
3600x | NH-D15 Chromax Black | 32GB 3200MHz | ASUS KO RTX 3070 UnderVolted and UnderClocked | Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX X570S | Seasonic X760w | Phanteks Evolv X | 500GB WD_Black SN750 x2 | Sandisk Skyhawk 3.84TB SSD 

30 minutes ago, Matteo Pignoli said:

I was curious.

Of course change is a constant, and change is always good. My question was about "amalgamation", not "change".

The sets are always changing at the studio, maybe sometimes a certain set isn't available so they'll shoot say a Short Circuit on the Techlinked set or vise versa. 

6 hours ago, piratemonkey said:

it's cuz construction

This, most likely.  They've been doing lots of construction and stuff, so the sets they use might have been unavailable....could also just be testing out other styles, see how tey feel.

🖥️ Motherboard: MSI A320M PRO-VH PLUS  ** Processor: AMD Ryzen 2600 3.4 GHz ** Video Card: Nvidia GeForce 1070 TI 8GB Zotac 1070ti 🖥️
🖥️ Memory: 32GB DDR4 2400  ** Power Supply: 650 Watts Power Supply Thermaltake +80 Bronze Thermaltake PSU 🖥️

🍎 2012 iMac i7 27";  2007 MBP 2.2 GHZ; Power Mac G5 Dual 2GHZ; B&W G3; Quadra 650; Mac SE 🍎

🍎 iPad Air2; iPhone SE 2020; iPhone 5s; AppleTV 4k 🍎

18 minutes ago, Video Beagle said:

This, most likely.  They've been doing lots of construction and stuff, so the sets they use might have been unavailable....could also just be testing out other styles, see how tey feel.

Yea, it seems the most likely answer, given the start of construction and the first Techquickie video shot on the "Shortcircuit set"

So just filming locations have changed, but not content? The office is going through construction for more office space so that's reason #1. The other reason is COVID restrictions they must follow. So TQ set might be too tight for using it. And other sets, like TL and SC, have more space for proper social distancing.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv