Opinion: Consumer graphic cards need to be divorced from BTC

butt naked gamer

Ever since the nvidia 10 series and BTC bull run in 2017/18, consumer graphics cards have been inseparably tied to the price of BTC, and by proxy, other financial systems. With each year, the price of graphics cards becomes more and more tied to a speculative financial market. We are heading in a direction where a GPU will become a commodity like precious metals and oil are. This will not be good for consumers, as this will just inflate the price of hardware based off of speculation. We will not benefit as consumers from technological innovations/inventions that reduce cost like they have in the past. The price of a GPU will become fixed. The only people who will benefit from this are GPU manufacturers.

How is this ok? How can this ever be a free market when the company producing the tools to speculate, are directly benefiting from the speculation? NVIDIA/AMD will just work together to inflate BTC prices, which directly inflate their products prices...

In my opinion NVIDIA needs to be compelled legally to release consumer cards that have locks in them that would make crypto mining impossible without extensive modification, and release product lines for crypto miners specifically.

Does no one else see the literal technocratic monopoly of financial systems that we are fast approaching, and not even addressing ?

Why isn't this being addressed more? Has this been addressed? Or am I just so fucking dumb and have such a fundamental misunderstanding of things that none of this is even a valid concern?

1 hour ago, butt naked gamer said:

Ever since the nvidia 10 series and BTC bull run in 2017/18, consumer graphics cards have been inseparably tied to the price of BTC, and by proxy, other financial systems. With each year, the price of graphics cards becomes more and more tied to a speculative financial market. We are heading in a direction where a GPU will become a commodity like precious metals and oil are. This will not be good for consumers, as this will just inflate the price of hardware based off of speculation. We will not benefit as consumers from technological innovations/inventions that reduce cost like they have in the past. The price of a GPU will become fixed. The only people who will benefit from this are GPU manufacturers.

How is this ok? How can this ever be a free market when the company producing the tools to speculate, are directly benefiting from the speculation? NVIDIA/AMD will just work together to inflate BTC prices, which directly inflate their products prices...

In my opinion NVIDIA needs to be compelled legally to release consumer cards that have locks in them that would make crypto mining impossible without extensive modification, and release product lines for crypto miners specifically.

Does no one else see the literal technocratic monopoly of financial systems that we are fast approaching, and not even addressing ?

Why isn't this being addressed more? Has this been addressed? Or am I just so fucking dumb and have such a fundamental misunderstanding of things that none of this is even a valid concern?

No one is using GPU to mine BTC anymore.  There are ASICs for that.  GPU availability is simple supply and demand.  We go through this every release outside of pandemics, too.

CPU || Ryzen 2700x @ 4.3ghz  Motherboard || ROG Strix B450F  RAM || 16GB TridentZ 3600 B-Die  GPU || ASUS ROG Strix 1080Ti  Case || Thermaltake V71 RGB  Storage || Intel 760p 240GB + Intel 535 480GB SSD + 1TB WD 7200RPM HDD  PSU || Corsair HX850i  Cooling || Corsair H110i GTX  Keyboard || Corsair K70  Mouse || Logitech G502 Proteus  Sound || Bose Companion 5  Operating System || Windows 10 Pro

1 hour ago, butt naked gamer said:

This as said above is supply and demand. Not enough supply due to various COVID related factors. 

Mining BTC on a consumer GPU isn't profitable in 2020.

Might want to play around on here with hashing values for consumer cards.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/btc?HashingPower=64&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=1500&CostPerkWh=0.12&MiningPoolFee=1

This is for a 6800xt, using the PSU that I'm going to be running one with at MAX power 24/7.

Spoiler

image_2020-12-20_152632.png.73eb574fded17ee3855002673bd207ad.png

I'm not actually trying to be as grumpy as it seems.

I will find your mentions of Ikea or Gnome and I will /s post. 

Project Hot Box

CPU 13900k, Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Elite AX, RAM CORSAIR Vengeance 4x16gb 5200 MHZ, GPU Zotac RTX 4090 Trinity OC, Case Fractal Pop Air XL, Storage Sabrent Rocket Q4 2tbCORSAIR Force Series MP510 1920GB NVMe, CORSAIR FORCE Series MP510 960GB NVMe, PSU CORSAIR HX1000i, Cooling Corsair XC8 CPU block, Bykski GPU block, 360mm and 280mm radiator, Displays Odyssey G9, LG 34UC98-W 34-Inch,Keyboard Mountain Everest Max, Mouse Mountain Makalu 67, Sound AT2035, Massdrop 6xx headphones, Go XLR 

Oppbevaring

CPU i9-9900k, Motherboard, ASUS Rog Maximus Code XI, RAM, 48GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB 3200 mhz (2x16)+(2x8) GPUs Asus ROG Strix 2070 8gb, PNY 1080, Nvidia 1080, Case Mining Frame, 2x Storage Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB, PSU Corsair RM1000x and RM850x, Cooling Asus Rog Ryuo 240 with Noctua NF-12 fans

Why is the 5800x so hot?

8 hours ago, butt naked gamer said:

Just to add to the above:

You can't be wanting a free market then wanting gov intervention in the same breath, in my opinion.

7 hours ago, Purgent said:

No one is using GPU to mine BTC anymore

Bold of you to assume my vega isn't sweating

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

8 hours ago, butt naked gamer said:

Or am I just so fucking dumb and have such a fundamental misunderstanding of things that none of this is even a valid concern?

Yes.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

20 hours ago, Voluspa said:

This as said above is supply and demand. Not enough supply due to various COVID related factors. 

Mining BTC on a consumer GPU isn't profitable in 2020.

Might want to play around on here with hashing values for consumer cards.

https://www.cryptocompare.com/mining/calculator/btc?HashingPower=64&HashingUnit=MH%2Fs&PowerConsumption=1500&CostPerkWh=0.12&MiningPoolFee=1

This is for a 6800xt, using the PSU that I'm going to be running one with at MAX power 24/7.

Reveal hidden contents

image_2020-12-20_152632.png.73eb574fded17ee3855002673bd207ad.png

even if you were using 600W power , as of right now you could pay off your 6800XT mining eth in 1 year.

I did some light research and it it seems to me that AMD does add locks into some of their cards to prevent mining.

I am open to the idea that 2017-2018 ETH/BTC bull runs and their effects on GPUs was a one time thing. It seems that maybe some of you replying to me are completely disregarding this incident or were maybe not adults at the time and don't really remember the effects it had on the market. No one here has posted anything convincing that consumer GPUs are now entirely separated from crypto prices.

In my opinion what we saw 3 years ago is still having an effect on the market. It doesn't seem the GPU prices ever fully recovered, and NVIDIA/AMD are still capitalizing and milking this situation.

13 hours ago, unsorted said:

Just to add to the above:

You can't be wanting a free market then wanting gov intervention in the same breath, in my opinion.

yes you can. its called protectionism/developmentalism. both Trump and Sanders have virtually the same policy decisions when it comes to this. I'm not sure if you realized but most of these parts are made in Chinese factories where workers might be paid as much as 300 dollars per month. The government needs to protect its citizens from being exploited by proxy from this. this thread isnt really about this though, but yes, its an established viewpoint that I didn't pull out of my ass or am contradicting myself on. held by many people regardless of political orientation

20 hours ago, Purgent said:

No one is using GPU to mine BTC anymore.  There are ASICs for that.  GPU availability is simple supply and demand.  We go through this every release outside of pandemics, too.

there were ASICs back then too. At what price does BTC need to hit before we see another incident like the previous crypto cause gpu inflation? Maybe it won't be specifically BTC, maybe its LTC or ETH.

-> Moved to Graphics Cards

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

Please note that political discussion is not allowed on this forum. Do not continue that topic.

agreed