Gaming on a $60,000 Computer

jakkuh_t

Liqid's badger den server is so crazy that we wondered what would it be like to GAME on the dang thing... Let's find out.

widget.png?style=banner2

PC: 13900K, 32GB Trident Z5, AORUS 7900 XTX, 2TB SN850X, 1TB MP600, Win 11

NAS: Xeon W-2195, 64GB ECC, 180TB Storage, 1660 Ti, TrueNAS Scale

You can't trick me! As a true PC enthusiast I know far to well the maximum limit you can spend on a PC where an additional dollar does not amount to any added benefit and it is far far under 60K! Additionally high end resolutions are far too problematic and subtract many important gaming qualities and principals. 

Could they test that system with some classic games from the Windows 95 and 98 days. It  would be interesting to see how many would take advantage of multiple cores, and how many would be GPU bottlenecked by the RTX 3090.

Also, did the server's Bios offer any overclocking options?

What AMD EPYC CPU's were those? It was hard to read Task Manager. Clearly one of the 64C/128T variants and it much have been at least Gen 2.

Why didn’t Linus just feed the PCIe riser through the open slot? Looks like it’d fit and would fix the fan noise...

Quote or mention me or I won't be notified of your reply!

Main Rig: R7 3700x New!, EVGA GTX 1060 6GB, ROG STRIX B450-F Gaming New!, Corsair RGB 2x16GB 3200MHz New!, 512GB Crucial P5, 120GB Samsung SSD, 1TB Segate SSHD, 2TB Barracuda HDD

MacBook Pro 14" (M1 Max, 32GB RAM)

Links: My beautiful sketchy case | My website

10 hours ago, Senzelian said:

Not even 60k can run C2077.

I mean, even CDPR admitted the game is far from ready for release, so that doesn't surprise me one bit. :D One day, consumers will beta test new car technology by paying with their lives, and the world will be OK with it because it'll be the "societal norm" soon enough. :( 

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

Another video, with another Nvidia GPU... 🥱

This is getting boring, what about sometimes use Radeon too?

Made In Brazil 🇧🇷

2 hours ago, kirashi said:

One day, consumers will beta test new car technology by paying with their lives, and the world will be OK with it because it'll be the "societal norm" soon enough. :( 

*cough* Tesla autopilot *cough*

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

What kind of storage is in that thing?

At 0:15 Linus says it can do 100GB/s. At 11:00 it's only 25GB/s.

Fastest single SSD I can find any reference to can do around 7GB/s sequential read, so you'd need 14 of those striped to get that speed. Maximum theoretical speed for pcie4 is something like 2GB/s per lane, so you'd need 50 lanes to get 100GB/s.

Is my back-of-the-envelope way off? Or is there some new tech? Or maybe he said byte and meant bit? Or something?

Looks like it's using this:

https://www.liqid.com/products/composable-storage/element-lqd4500-pcie-aic-ssd

Maybe the 25 is just 24 rounded up, and there are 4 of them in there? And all 4 of the 16X slots are dedicated lanes straight to the CPU?

What the hell!!?? Linus told he will use the server as main editing server. I thought he would build a super fast one himself! 

7 hours ago, Se7enLC said:

At 0:15 Linus says it can do 100GB/s. At 11:00 it's only 25GB/s.

because Steam's servers can't suport the immense speed

please quote me or tag me @wall03 so i can see your response

motherboard buying guide      psu buying guide      pc building guide     privacy guide

ltt meme thread

folding at home stats

pc:

RAM: 16GB DDR4-3200 CL-16

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 3600 @ 3.6GHz

SSD: 256GB SP

GPU: Radeon RX 570 8GB OC

Cinebench R23 score: 9097 (multi) 1236 (single)

don't some things look better when they are lowercase?

-wall03

hello dark mode users

goodbye light mode users

On 12/20/2020 at 12:51 PM, Windows7ge said:

What AMD EPYC CPU's were those? It was hard to read Task Manager. Clearly one of the 64C/128T variants and it much have been at least Gen 2.

7702. A lower power version of the 7742, which is a lower power version of the 7H12. Not to be confused with the 7702p, which is the exact same, but can't run on dual socket motherboards and is 463 dollars cheaper on amazon.

If you set the video to 4K, it becomes possible to read the text in task manager because of the lower compression loss, even if you only have a 1080p monitor.

Edited by NicoV
Removed an unnecessary comma.