Cyberpunk 2077 Save Data Could Be Corrupted on ALL PLATFORMS If File Size Is Too Large

Jet_ski
Go to solution Solved by Master Delta Chief,

CDPR released a hotfix that solves the saving problem, so normally it shouldn't be a issue anymore: https://www.cyberpunk.net/en/news/37214/hotfix-1-06

Summary

Players are reporting that their save data is being corrupted after it goes beyond 8MB, and there isn't any way to recover the data if this happens.

Players on Reddit are discovering that, at least in some instances, their save files are corrupted and unrecoverable once they reach that 8MB mark. For those who have been crafting items extensively over the course of their playthrough, the file size can balloon, putting them at greater risk of having their data corrupted. It isn't affecting all players, and you seem to be more likely to corrupt your data if you've crafted literally thousands of items.

GOG support (GOG is owned by CD Projekt Red's parent company, CD Projekt) seemed to acknowledge that there was indeed a file size limit in a reply to a concerned player. The company said it may increase the save file size limit via a future patch but this would not revert already corrupted save data back to a useable state. It also recommended not using any item duplication glitches and loading a save file that hasn't made use of it yet.

Quotes

CD Projekt Red advises you to keep your crafting and items to a minimum to avoid having your save data corrupted.

In a response via the GOG website - which is owned by developer CD Projekt Red's parent company - the studio has confirmed that once corrupted, there's no way to recover the save, so it recommends you keep "a lower amount of items and crafting materials".

My thoughts

What a s*** show this has become. Every day people are finding flaws more fatal than the ones before. What’s next? Finishing the game initiates your device to self destruct?! At some point this might just kill the entire project.

Sources

https://forums.cdprojektred.com/index.php?threads/save-files-are-corrupted.11052596/page-3

https://www.gamespot.com/articles/cyberpunk-2077-save-data-could-be-corrupted-if-file-size-is-too-large/1100-6485700/

And the bugs in Cyberpunk 2077 continue to be revealed

My Laptop: A MacBook Air 

My Desktop: Don’t have one 

My Phone: An Honor 8s (although I don’t recommend it)

My Favourite OS: Linux

My Console: A Regular PS4

My Tablet: A Huawei Mediapad m5 

Spoiler

6 minutes ago, Sandro Linux said:

And the bugs in Cyberpunk 2077 continue to be revealed

Whether this is a bug or an intentional (or possibly even forced) design choice remains to be seen. From the response CDPR gave it seems like they were well aware of this and didn't consider it a problem, heck one mod on CDPR's forums straight up suggested that players avoid crafting and start a new game often to circumvent it. Granted he's only a forum mod but the fact he told players to avoid crafting in a game that has a crafting skill & progression tree went down like a turd on a piece of toast.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

FYI, the save file location is under

%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

There will be a folder for every saved game. The file is save.dat.

Seems like CDPR just can't catch a break

Current PC
Intel i5-4690k (4.5GHz at 1.25V), MSI H97 PC Mate (which I somehow got it to overclock) 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3-1600, Transcend SSD370 256GB, Hitachi Deskstar 7200RPM 3TB, HP 1270i 22x DVD Drive, Palit GTX970 Jetstream, Andyson F500m, Lancool K62, Windows 10 Home 64-bit, Dell U2414H, Logitech Z103, Rosewill RK-9000RE (Cherry MX Red), Steelseries Kinzu V2, Sennheiser HD600 with Audinst HUD-mx1 DAC/Amp

Considering: AMD Ryzen 5000 system

Current Photography setup

Pentax K-1, Pentax K-5, Sigma 17-35 f2.8-4 Aspherical, Tokina 28-80mm f2.8, Tamron 17-50 f2.8, Tamron 90mm f2.8 Di Macro, Sigma 70-200 f2.8 APO EX, Pentax DA 50 f1.8, Yongnuo YN585EX

1 hour ago, Jet_ski said:

89044701.jpg

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

48 minutes ago, kaixax555 said:

Seems like CDPR just can't catch a break

They did it to themselves. They should have not released the game for the last-gen consoles. The open world large scale scenes they want cannot run on old hardware the way they want them to.

1 hour ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

4r3b6l.jpg

Everything is fine

Either @piratemonkey or quote me when responding to me. I won't see otherwise

Put a reaction on my post if I helped

My privacy guide | Why my name is piratemonkey PSU Tier List Motherboard VRM Tier List

What I say is from experience and the internet, and may not be 100% correct

Good gosh just pull the game for everyone and be done with this garbage of a game. Don't release it again until it's completely done even if that takes another year or maybe don't release it at all. On top of that I think it's time for completely new management maybe some people with a spine that won't release a game early because the community and shareholders are inpatient. 

39A85C55-DDD2-45BA-975A-81357C4C09CF.thumb.png.2dd4cd00a7f266e899bd678321ac500e.png

At this point, would it really kill to have a post-mortem to figure out what went wrong and where? I mean, other than the obvious crunch and employees not having time to finish the game because management wanted to rush this game out.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

At this point, would it really kill to have a post-mortem to figure out what went wrong and where? I mean, other than the obvious crunch and employees not having time to finish the game because management wanted to rush this game out.

Given the type of game, I think it is in an even better position than No Man's Sky to make a comeback and eventually becoming a game worth having, even a classic. The question is whether it will, or they will just cut back their losses and move on.

4 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

Whether this is a bug or an intentional (or possibly even forced) design choice remains to be seen.

Uhm... if it were intended there would at least be an in-game warning or a hard cap on what you can craft, it wouldn't just corrupt the game file out of nowhere. Plus i don't see why they would want this.

2 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

I mean, other than the obvious crunch and employees not having time to finish the game because management wanted to rush this game out.

I mean... I doubt it goes any further than that.

Management: make a huge, gigantic game the likes of which has never been seen!

Developers: ok, I'll go and...

Management: I need it on my desk by noon

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

CD Project Red when it comes to bugs:

Intel® Core™ i7-12700 | GIGABYTE B660 AORUS MASTER DDR4 | Gigabyte Radeon™ RX 6650 XT Gaming OC | 32GB Corsair Vengeance® RGB Pro SL DDR4 | Samsung 990 Pro 1TB | WD Green 1.5TB | Windows 11 Pro | NZXT H510 Flow White
Sony MDR-V250 | GNT-500 | Logitech G610 Orion Brown | Logitech G402 | Samsung C27JG5 | ASUS ProArt PA238QR
iPhone 12 Mini (iOS 17.2.1) | iPhone XR (iOS 17.2.1) | iPad Mini (iOS 9.3.5) | KZ AZ09 Pro x KZ ZSN Pro X | Sennheiser HD450bt
Intel® Core™ i7-1265U | Kioxia KBG50ZNV512G | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Enterprise | HP EliteBook 650 G9
Intel® Core™ i5-8520U | WD Blue M.2 250GB | 1TB Seagate FireCuda | 16GB DDR4 | Windows 11 Home | ASUS Vivobook 15 
Intel® Core™ i7-3520M | GT 630M | 16 GB Corsair Vengeance® DDR3 |
Samsung 850 EVO 250GB | macOS Catalina | Lenovo IdeaPad P580

4 hours ago, StDragon said:

FYI, the save file location is under

%userprofile%\Saved Games\CD Projekt Red\Cyberpunk 2077

There will be a folder for every saved game. The file is save.dat.

The Cyberpunk 2077 folder is 230mb on my computer. O.o 

This terrified me until I checked the size of individual saves and saw that they're 3.8mb each after 30 hours of play. I'll hopefully be able to finish the game. :)

All these horrible problems the game is having are a real shame, because it's a genuinely good game and a complete one at that. It'll be great in 6 months after they've ironed all the bugs and optimization out, but they really shouldn't have released it in the current state. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

Only affect hoarders i guess? I'm having a blast playing this game, with my 4-7 years old hardwares.🤷🏻‍♀️

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

Pretty sure the only ways to trigger this are to kill a bunch of people in the main open world area and never loot any of their bodies, to loot everything and never sell/disassemble any of it, or to craft like 500+ nonstackable items and leave them in your inventory/stash.

When you spend too much budget and time on marketing hype than the actual software

Obviously cd projekt red doesnt see this as a long term project, simply create the hype and then release a shit product which people believe is good, make back the money within the first week and then goes “ha ha eat shit”

Apparently modern day PC isn't able to handle such cutting edge filesizes like 8MB, this game is so ahead of its time. Truly next-gen, you need not one but two PS2 memory cards to handle it.

7 hours ago, D13H4RD said:

39A85C55-DDD2-45BA-975A-81357C4C09CF.thumb.png.2dd4cd00a7f266e899bd678321ac500e.png

Was even Anthem this fucked up? Agreed, I can't wait to read the story behind this trash. That one about Bioware was pretty bad.

1 hour ago, xAcid9 said:

Only affect hoarders i guess?

Doesn't seem like it. I did just finish the game, I have bought all the purchasable vehicles and I did finish all the sidequests in the game and I do crafting, but I don't specifically hoard stuff and my saves are at around 7MB right now.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

9 hours ago, Master Disaster said:

heck one mod on CDPR's forums straight up suggested that players avoid crafting

After having played through the game, I'd argue that one should avoid crafting anyways. Crafting is very poorly balanced, it is not worth the time and effort.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

10 minutes ago, WereCatf said:

Doesn't seem like it. I did just finish the game, I have bought all the purchasable vehicles and I did finish all the sidequests in the game and I do crafting, but I don't specifically hoard stuff and my saves are at around 7MB right now.

Oh, I'm only like 30-ish hours and probably half way into the story? Save file around 3.5MB. I just unlocked Grease Monkey perk and want to start getting some mats, we'll see how it goes.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |