Most Reliable Solution for Backups and/or Archive

Morsher
Go to solution Solved by Morsher,

Okay guys. Thank you for your suggestions.

After scrolling through reviews of external HDDs and seeing common situation where is no matter what brand you look at 90% of them die in 2-3 years of active use. I came to the conclusion you either buy a nice expensive external SSD (which is unnecessary for my use case) or don't buy anything at all. So i was like "hmm i don't mind using NAS Drive". Yes it's not comfortable, yes it's a pain in the ass but as far as i'm concerned it's 20x times more reliable than external HDD. Do you agree or you have some suggestions?

You shouldn't buy an external SSD either.

You should just have two HDDs in raid 1 in your existing PC, and that's it. Linus has a pretty good video on what it means.

Honestly though, cloud backup is pretty good and convenient, if you don't feel like the hassle 

I once gave Luke and Linus pizza.

Proud member of the ITX club.

**SCRAPYARD WARS!!!!**

#BringBackLuke

I agree with using a cloud solution, as something like Backblaze really isn't that expensive at $6/mo and you get unlimited backups.

If you want to keep some local backups, you can get an external HDD to keep some temporary backups (maybe like a week or two, depending on your needs) and also back yor stuff up to a cloud service for permanent storage.

For small amounts of data you can look at Blu-ray M-Discs or equivalent.

For larger amounts you basically have cloud storage, tape (expensive) or mirrored hard drive arrays.

Most of my media is backup on a RAID-10 which itself is backed up to another RAID-10 array.

For documents, photos and important stuff I have it backed up to RAID-10 which is backed up to both cloud and blu-ray m-disc (once a year).