Need help picking PSU for a build

CuzinEd

I have a motherboard, GPU, memory kit, HDD I was going to sell for $350 but the guy isn't interested cause I haven't heard back from him. I made a thread about it a while back. So I decided I will just buy a PSU, case and SSD and build a PC for my nephew who is using his older brothers old crap PC. 

The parts I am using

ASUS H170 Pro Gaming MOBO

i7 6700

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 

MSI GTX 1070 Ti

I was going to use my old R9 390 for the build but I want him to have a better GPU that he can carry over to a new build until he gets better one. I know it's not the latest and greatest GPU but I can't afford to spend a lot of money doing it.

The parts I plan to buy for the build. 

This is the case. 

Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

This is the SSD

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal SSD - Newegg.com

Now here is the issue. I have picked out these two PSU's. 

The first one

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0750-X1 - Newegg.com

The second option

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x 750W Power Supply - Newegg.com

I want him to have a good PSU in case he decides to upgrade his MOBO, CPU and GPU in the future. I told him I would install his upgrades for free if he decides to do that. I haven't had to pick out a PSU since 2016, that's when I did my first build and I am using that PSU still and it works fine. 

This is my PSU. 

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply - Newegg.com

With my PSU the fan doesn't come on unless it's under a certain load making it really quiet. It's fully modular as well. I paid about $125 for it back in 2016. I would like to get him one comparable to mine or as close as I can get within reason of course. 

The issue I am having is the two I chose above, the EVGA is ATX and the Corsair is ATX12V/EPS12V. What is the difference? Will they both work with the MOBO and other hardware I listed above? My PSU is ATX12V/EPS12V apparently. So I guess it would be fine, but I figured I would ask first. When I picked my PSU in 2016 I just looked at the highest rated PSU's on newegg. 

Are Corsair PSU's any good? I see a lot of people using them in PC builds. 

So some help would be appreciated. 

12 hours ago, CuzinEd said:

What is the difference?

They just decided to label it differently, don't worry about it. Either would connect properly.

12 hours ago, CuzinEd said:

You can't generalise by brand. Same way you can't ask if Nvidia GPUs are good or not. A reference GT 710 is not, a FE RTX 3090 is. If you are trying to choose between the G1+ and the RMx, the G1+ is an entry level PSU made for low end hardware, while the RMx is a pretty decent PSU for even pretty high end stuff.

You can check out actual reviews of them here (the 650W and 750W variants of the G1+ are similar enough).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g1-plus-psu,5661.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

:)

16 hours ago, CuzinEd said:

I have a motherboard, GPU, memory kit, HDD I was going to sell for $350 but the guy isn't interested cause I haven't heard back from him. I made a thread about it a while back. So I decided I will just buy a PSU, case and SSD and build a PC for my nephew who is using his older brothers old crap PC. 

The parts I am using

ASUS H170 Pro Gaming MOBO

i7 6700

16GB DDR4 3200Mhz 

MSI GTX 1070 Ti

I was going to use my old R9 390 for the build but I want him to have a better GPU that he can carry over to a new build until he gets better one. I know it's not the latest and greatest GPU but I can't afford to spend a lot of money doing it.

The parts I plan to buy for the build. 

This is the case. 

Fractal Design Meshify C Black ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Newegg.com

This is the SSD

SAMSUNG 860 EVO Series 2.5" 250GB SATA III Internal SSD - Newegg.com

Now here is the issue. I have picked out these two PSU's. 

The first one

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G+, 80 Plus Gold 750W, Fully Modular, FDB Fan, 10 Year Warranty, Includes Power ON Self Tester, Power Supply 120-GP-0750-X1 - Newegg.com

The second option

CORSAIR RMx Series RM750x 750W Power Supply - Newegg.com

I want him to have a good PSU in case he decides to upgrade his MOBO, CPU and GPU in the future. I told him I would install his upgrades for free if he decides to do that. I haven't had to pick out a PSU since 2016, that's when I did my first build and I am using that PSU still and it works fine. 

This is my PSU. 

EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 220-G2-0750-XR 80+ GOLD 750W Fully Modular EVGA ECO Mode Includes FREE Power On Self Tester Power Supply - Newegg.com

With my PSU the fan doesn't come on unless it's under a certain load making it really quiet. It's fully modular as well. I paid about $125 for it back in 2016. I would like to get him one comparable to mine or as close as I can get within reason of course. 

The issue I am having is the two I chose above, the EVGA is ATX and the Corsair is ATX12V/EPS12V. What is the difference? Will they both work with the MOBO and other hardware I listed above? My PSU is ATX12V/EPS12V apparently. So I guess it would be fine, but I figured I would ask first. When I picked my PSU in 2016 I just looked at the highest rated PSU's on newegg. 

So some help would be appreciated. 

The RMX or the G2 , would be great choices.

On 12/20/2020 at 4:25 PM, seon123 said:

They just decided to label it differently, don't worry about it. Either would connect properly.

You can't generalise by brand. Same way you can't ask if Nvidia GPUs are good or not. A reference GT 710 is not, a FE RTX 3090 is. If you are trying to choose between the G1+ and the RMx, the G1+ is an entry level PSU made for low end hardware, while the RMx is a pretty decent PSU for even pretty high end stuff.

You can check out actual reviews of them here (the 650W and 750W variants of the G1+ are similar enough).

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/evga-supernova-650-g1-plus-psu,5661.html

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/corsair-rm750x-v2-psu,5585.html

Thanks for the reply and the links. I will look at them later. I will still look around at the other Corsair PSU's. 

My main concern was the connection and so on. 

On 12/20/2020 at 8:14 PM, Gorilla Warfare said:

The RMX or the G2 , would be great choices.

The G2 is actually the one I am using now. I figured they would be pretty good PSU's. Like I said I want to make sure he has a good one. 

Thanks for the reply as well.