LG OLED Burn-in for PC

Buyaca

I am considering a 2020 LG OLED for PC Usage, however burn-in is a factor.

In PC Usage, there are a lot of static material such as browser tabs, search bars, windows bars, etc. As you are all aware.

Does it even make sense for PC usage considering the likely burn in?

22 hours ago, Buyaca said:

Does it even make sense for PC usage considering the likely burn in?

Considering the inevitable burn in. Personally I wouldn't recommend it. While it's not as bad in the recent models (I believe) as some make it out to be, it's still a realistic issue to think about. I'd say read Rtings' test and statment on the matter: https://www.rtings.com/tv/learn/real-life-oled-burn-in-test

Those who display the same static content over long periods of time should consider the risk of burn-in though (such as those who watch lots of news, use the TV as a PC monitor, or play the same game with a bright static HUD). Those who are concerned about the risk of burn-in should go with an LCD TV for the peace of mind.

Keep in mind that burn-in for OLEDs is cumulative (i.e. displaying an image for 30 min. twice is equivalent to displaying that same image for 1 hour) and so is mostly a matter of when, not if. I would figure PC usage would have a similar effect as their CNN test.

Crystal: CPU: i7 7700K | Motherboard: Asus ROG Strix Z270F | RAM: GSkill 16 GB@3200MHz | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1080 Ti FE | Case: Corsair Crystal 570X (black) | PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 1000W | Monitor: Asus VG248QE 24"

Laptop: Dell XPS 13 9370 | CPU: i5 10510U | RAM: 16 GB

Server: CPU: i5 4690k | RAM: 16 GB | Case: Corsair Graphite 760T White | Storage: 19 TB

There are plenty of people who have used one for PC use without ill effect. However u must be aware that those who have no issue do take precautions.

This is in the form of changes to their habitual usage. You cant treat an OLED like an LCD display, if u have never lived with a CRT or Plasma u may find it somewhat inconvenient.

Such changes would include:

Auto Hide task bar

Black screensaver

Animated desktop wallpapers

Minimal/no icons, or Transparent Icons via apps like Wallpaper Engine

No 'maximized' windows, such as web browsers (open them up and manually resize and move around)

No playing the same game for 1000 hours

And otherwise just reducing static content as much as possible.

You can play a game with high contrast static UI (like Fortnight) for 24 hours straight and have no 'permanent' burn-in.. BUT u cant keep doing that, as mentioned above, degradation of the pixels is cumulative.

Dont count on an OLED lasting anywhere near as long as an LCD display if u abuse it.

Try to buy it from a retailer with a good warranty, one that does not specifically exclude 'burn-in' from the cover (many do). The base LG warranty covers burn-in 1 time within the 1st year last time i checked.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

So even more sensitive than a crt then.  Interesting

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

15 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

So even more sensitive than a crt then.  Interesting

More sensitive than a CRT, less than a Plasma, in terms of immediate burn in from a single instance of long duration static image.

CPU: Intel i7 3930k w/OC & EK Supremacy EVO Block | Motherboard: Asus P9x79 Pro  | RAM: G.Skill 4x4 1866 CL9 | PSU: Seasonic Platinum 1000w Corsair RM 750w Gold (2021)|

VDU: Panasonic 42" Plasma | GPU: Gigabyte 1080ti Gaming OC & Barrow Block (RIP)...GTX 980ti | Sound: Asus Xonar D2X - Z5500 -FiiO X3K DAP/DAC - ATH-M50S | Case: Phantek Enthoo Primo White |

Storage: Samsung 850 Pro 1TB SSD + WD Blue 1TB SSD | Cooling: XSPC D5 Photon 270 Res & Pump | 2x XSPC AX240 White Rads | NexXxos Monsta 80x240 Rad P/P | NF-A12x25 fans |

I just bought this model Corteks have been using a OLED TV for a long time and do not see any noticeable changes or issues. Of course this varies from user to user, but I don't think I will keep my monitor for long enough time before I want to make an upgrade (roughly 5 years, by then there should be some 240hz OLEDs or some other better option) and I also play a variety of games. So I do not worry to much about it. If you intend to keep your monitor for 10 years or so maybe you shouldn't go with OLED. Many of the degradations are so small that you wont notice them unless you look and that many other screens that you can buy will have bigger defects for the go (edge bleeding ect) anyway, so I'm thinking that those distortions that will come on OLED sooner or later will be like that.

The advice posted by SolarNova are really good (thanks mate) and I will do that to minimize the damage, I don´t find that problematic at all. If anyone finds that to be annoying and you just want to use the display without thinking. Then OLED probably isn't for you, yet. 

I hope this isn't to chucky 

If you just login to play on oled you might be fine, and on lower brightness (not nearing full brightness worse it gets)

Here is a 24/7 test for about a year.

Some is luck, some is time, some just depends

I have two LG OLEDs. The one I use for gaming and movies only is fine but the one I used as a monitor already has burn in and it only took just over a year. It did not slowly appear. One day it was not there and the next it was. It was not a bright logo that caused it but the line below the bookmarks in Chrome. I used all the TVs nannies that darken the screen, a screen saver and have Windows in dark mode but it was not enough. 

The burn in is light and not noticeable in movies and games but it can't be unseen. 

I am not going to stop gaming on the OLEDs but I will not use them for YouTube, browsing and forums any more.

I bought an LG - 49" Class NanoCell 85 on Cyber Monday for $500 that will replace the 55" LG OLED as a monitor.  It is ISP and 120hz 4k so it should be well suited to be used as a monitor. They have great reviews as gaming TVs but not so great for movies. 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

42 minutes ago, jones177 said:

the line below the bookmarks in Chrome

This is why its important not to open browsers in fullscreen , as it makes UI elements always appear in the exact same spot.

5 hours ago, jones177 said:

I have two LG OLEDs. The one I use for gaming and movies only is fine but the one I used as a monitor already has burn in and it only took just over a year. It did not slowly appear. One day it was not there and the next it was. It was not a bright logo that caused it but the line below the bookmarks in Chrome. I used all the TVs nannies that darken the screen, a screen saver and have Windows in dark mode but it was not enough. 

The burn in is light and not noticeable in movies and games but it can't be unseen. 

I am not going to stop gaming on the OLEDs but I will not use them for YouTube, browsing and forums any more.

I bought an LG - 49" Class NanoCell 85 on Cyber Monday for $500 that will replace the 55" LG OLED as a monitor.  It is ISP and 120hz 4k so it should be well suited to be used as a monitor. They have great reviews as gaming TVs but not so great for movies. 

Which model year was the burnt one?

They are both 2019 B9s.

The BX uses the same panel and processor and the C9 uses the same panel.

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5800x3D| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: ASUS ROG Swift PG42UQ

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k C1 OLED TV

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 13900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z790 Master | RAM: Corsair Dominator RGB 32GB DDR5 6200 | GPU: Zotac Amp Extreme 4090  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Streacom BC1.1S | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD: Corsair MP600 1TB  | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

31 minutes ago, jones177 said:

They are both 2019 B9s.

The BX uses the same panel and processor and the C9 uses the same panel.

You know if yours have the improved red sub-pixels?  I think maybe not, I heard the 2020 has that, but the older ones don't.

Anyway, How many hours you reckon' you put on it before you noticed it? Did you have it on like 12 hours everyday?

11 hours ago, Buyaca said:

You know if yours have the improved red sub-pixels?  I think maybe not, I heard the 2020 has that, but the older ones don't.

Anyway, How many hours you reckon' you put on it before you noticed it? Did you have it on like 12 hours everyday?

It has 4922 hours and I noticed it about 3 week ago. I have been only playing games and watching Hulu ever since so around 4822 hours before I noticed.

I am retired and the pandemic has made me a shut-in so that's the reason for the high hours.

Yeah apparently I heard marathon sessions reduce the longevity of OLED.

I heard that after 4 hours it does some pixel refresh,

So taking periodic breaks should help? I don't know but

• 2 weeks later...

Hello again and thank you for the input.

I have now installed my CX 48 LG OLED TV 120hz and first off all. Wow the image quality was HUGE. If you are the person that can afford to by new stuff and wants the best of the best. I recommend it without hesitation as any problem with burn in you can just by a new one whenever. Of course I have not tried all monitors out there but yes OLED is visually stunning (and I cant even enable HDR 120hz pga HDMI 2.0).

With that said I will now say the precautions I have taken and wonder if I have missed something.

- Moving background - Using Wallpaper Engine at steam it costs 4$ and it can be worth it even without OLED. I also switch between different moving backgrounds with different colors ect. This does not affect performance noticeably as the feature is disabled when full windows in enabled. 

- Dimming the screen in Nvidia Control Pallen. There is a slider that goes from 0-100% and I move it down to 0 whenever I'm just surfing around.

- Turning off the TV whenever I'm leaving the room even to take a leak.

- Constantly shifting my windows around (webbrowser ect) So they occupy roughly 1/4 of the screen.

- Keeping my different windows to a minimum so to minimize static background. Letting the moving background do its work. 

- Of course all TV functions are turned on to hinder burn in. 

Problems I have encountered:

- I have another LG TV in the same room and it turns on whenever I turn this one off.

- Videos on youtube ect tend to buffer at 4K resolution. Which is annoying cuase now I want to watch the content in 4K but that can be youtubes fault.

Do you guys have any other things to think about/do?

Auto Hide Taskbar

Wallpapers for wallpaper engine to consider. Deep Space (1,2,3 etc), Fire Space, Orange Space, Space Flow 4k,

Also set icon opacity to something like 30% (Settings - General)

If the automatic dimming gets annoying whilst ur browsing the web, consider getting a 'Service remote' (or download the app for mobiles equipped with a IR blaster) for the LG CX so u can disable ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiter), this will stop the display from dimming after 60 seconds or so when viewing bright windows whilst browsing.

Make sure the TVs firmware is up to date.

Consider buying a Calibrator like the X-Rite I1 Display Pro and use it with DisplayCAL , so u can get the most out of the display.

If u dont need the 4k desktop space, set desktop to 1080p, this should make YouTube vids default to 1080p. You'll still be able to set games to 4k.

On 1/3/2021 at 5:19 PM, SolarNova said:

Auto Hide Taskbar

Wallpapers for wallpaper engine to consider. Deep Space (1,2,3 etc), Fire Space, Orange Space, Space Flow 4k,

If the automatic dimming gets annoying whilst ur browsing the web, consider getting a 'Service remote' (or download the app for mobiles equipped with a IR blaster) for the LG CX so u can disable ASBL (Automatic Static Brightness Limiter), this will stop the display from dimming after 60 seconds or so when viewing bright windows whilst browsing.

Consider buying a Calibrator like the X-Rite I1 Display Pro and use it with DisplayCAL , so u can get the most out of the display.

If u dont need the 4k desktop space, set desktop to 1080p, this should make YouTube vids default to 1080p. You'll still be able to set games to 4k.

- yeah I forgot to mention, that I had already done that

- Thanks they are really good! One I cant tip back to you is "Colorful Matrix"

- I dont have any issues, with this so far I only wish I could turn it on by command. As when I must surfing I don't need brightness.

- I not ready to spend that kind of money on this. I am a budget entusiast, I love quality but dont want to pay for it ;) and this screen is a big enough upgrade. I doubt calibration will do that much. 

- Mmmh maybe i´ll try it, but I just get used to turn of 4k. It is not all the time either so it may be youtube being overloaded by corona. 

On 1/3/2021 at 6:19 PM, SolarNova said:

Auto Hide Taskbar

I have been using an LG OLED CX 48 for 2 months now as a secondary screen.

I have a 27inch screen as primary so no startbar or icons on the OLED.

Up until now I was keeping a black background on the screen so it is off when ever I am not really using it.

I see a lot of people mentioning circling those specific wallpapers. I guess to keep engaging the pixels? Would that be better than a black screen wallpaper?

23 minutes ago, Exidor said:

I have been using an LG OLED CX 48 for 2 months now as a secondary screen.

I have a 27inch screen as primary so no startbar or icons on the OLED.

Up until now I was keeping a black background on the screen so it is off when ever I am not really using it.

I see a lot of people mentioning circling those specific wallpapers. I guess to keep engaging the pixels? Would that be better than a black screen wallpaper?

Good question, I have no good answer for you.

I use wallpaper engine by steam as stated above so I alter between several different backgrounds. Some of them are very dark.

If I were to guess, I would say there is no problem having the screen turned of like you do. No electricity entering the pixel no degradation. I just use back ground because I like it and find it enjoyable having a background screen to look at.

If you are worried you could always turn of the TV with the remote when you´re not using it. I mean if you aren't using it, you might as well turn it off completely?

But would really like someone else that might know more to comment as well. 

18 minutes ago, UhreForFan said:

Good question, I have no good answer for you.

I use wallpaper engine by steam as stated above so I alter between several different backgrounds. Some of them are very dark.

If I were to guess, I would say there is no problem having the screen turned of like you do. No electricity entering the pixel no degradation. I just use back ground because I like it and find it enjoyable having a background screen to look at.

If you are worried you could always turn of the TV with the remote when you´re not using it. I mean if you aren't using it, you might as well turn it off completely?

But would really like someone else that might know more to comment as well. 

Yea sadly can not turn it off....

I run audio through HDMI using EARC on the TV

Basically I use it fullscreen for games and movies. And drag stuff onto the screen when I need more real estate.... But when I just quickly check something or read a website I leave it on my IPS screen.

Also it just looks cool when you drag something onto that black slab and it lights up with those borders being a complete black contrast.....

I would love an operation system where I can have transparent windows so I could have green text floating on a completely black screen that would be so sick.

You know the oldschool green before color displays were a thing.

Imagine that with basically infinite contrast. I would probably just spend hours dragging text and UI elements around on screen.

UI of just outlines and fully transparent windows.

1 hour ago, Exidor said:

Yea sadly can not turn it off....

I run audio through HDMI using EARC on the TV

Basically I use it fullscreen for games and movies. And drag stuff onto the screen when I need more real estate.... But when I just quickly check something or read a website I leave it on my IPS screen.

Also it just looks cool when you drag something onto that black slab and it lights up with those borders being a complete black contrast.....

I would love an operation system where I can have transparent windows so I could have green text floating on a completely black screen that would be so sick.

You know the oldschool green before color displays were a thing.

Imagine that with basically infinite contrast. I would probably just spend hours dragging text and UI elements around on screen.

UI of just outlines and fully transparent windows.

See if u cant choose a classic windows theme, and manualy set all the colors to black except text.

I dont use W10 myself, can stand it, but in W7 u can use the 'classic' theme, with most colors set to black and text set to neon green, it can look very oldschool.

1 minute ago, SolarNova said:

See if u cant choose a classic windows theme, and manualy set all the colors to black except text.

I dont use W10 myself, can stand it, but in W7 u can use the 'classic' theme, with most colors set to black and text set to neon green, it can look very oldschool.

Yea I was holding on to win 7 until 2020......

But then I switched to atmos and got a new GPU and non of that is supported in win 7.

I hate windows 10 with a passion was running it from 2017 on a laptop for work and hate it.

I now hope that windows becomes so bad and companies start massively rolling out cloud gaming.

That we start getting RTX and atmos drivers for Linux....

I might play around with windows colors but all I managed to achieve so far looks meh.

Any way what is your take on black background vs cycling wallpapers that engage different RGB pixels?

For the usecase I described.

1 minute ago, Exidor said:

Any way what is your take on black background vs cycling wallpapers that engage different RGB pixels?

For the usecase I described.

A black background with no icons will be better technically.

However a suitably animated / randomized background will avoid any burn in.

Ur basically comparing 'off' to 'in use'.

If u find having a black background all the time boring, then use a bunch of animated ones on rotation.

If you have any icons however, even if they are semi transparent, on a black background they will still act like a static UI so ull want to use an animated background to keep the pixels showing the icon changing somewhat.

5 minutes ago, SolarNova said:

A black background with no icons will be better technically.

However a suitably animated / randomized background will avoid any burn in.

Ur basically comparing 'off' to 'in use'.

If u find having a black background all the time boring, then use a bunch of animated ones on rotation.

If you have any icons however, even if they are semi transparent, on a black background they will still act like a static UI so ull want to use an animated background to keep the pixels showing the icon changing somewhat.

No most of the time it is just an empty mostly OFF black screen.

All the icons ETC are on the other screen.

I actually like it not emitting light :D When you walk up to your screen to just quickly check the emails or something or some work asshole calls or something. That 48inch screen lighting up in your face is blinding....

Why I asked was that many ppl recommend using solid RGB color backgrounds to try to "unstuck" pixels. So I was thinking maybe engaging them in a sequence might be good for keeping it uniform.

Also as I just drag browsers code and text onto it randomly when needed. So I just engage some pixels was thinking maybe having it scroll something is better.... (No I do not use fullscreen just rarely. Too big for fullscreen anyway but I do tend to drag more stuff to the right part of screen that is closer to me....)

Dont know sort of a brain fart idea I admit.